Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 13, 2007

Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-08-2007, 10:21 AM Reply   
I'm looking for alternatives to tower speakers. I'm familiar with the waterproof MP3 players, and waterproof iPod cases, etc . . . However, have any of you tried using an FM transmitter on your iPod, (leaving the iPod in the boat), and then have the rider listen to the same music through a waterproof radio head set? I do have an FM transmitter for my iPod, and was surprised at the range it has, however, have not tried it at 75' or so. I thought it would be pretty cool for the rider to listen to the same music, that is playing in the boat, with out waking up the neighbors.

Thoughts?
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-08-2007, 10:43 AM Reply   
Give it shot. I like the theory. I'm thinking it will be fine at 75 feet. I was surprised at the range of those things as well.
Old     (dldunn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-08-2007, 11:56 AM Reply   
Yes, it should work....I have followed my wife in my truck when she had the transmitter in hers, and I could tune in a long way back. That's a great idea!
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-08-2007, 12:32 PM Reply   
Thanks for the responses. David, that's great to hear your wife's transmitter projected that far, very cool. What brand of transmitter does she have? I've been researching tower speakers, and have learned that for the rider to clearly hear the music, the people in the boat are getting blasted. I see the only reason for tower speakers, is to get music to the rider. I'm anxious to give the radio idea a try. I can pick up a waterproof radio for pretty cheap. . . hopefully, it works out.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-08-2007, 12:35 PM Reply   
The small FM transmitters I have used will only reach 15' or so, you could use a FM transmitter similar to what the realtors use to broadcast home details. Something like this: http://www.hobbytron.com/HiFiEntryLevelPLLStereoFMTransmitter.html

I have one and it works up to about 300'.

David, what kind of TX is that?
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-08-2007, 12:53 PM Reply   
Very cool. You could then transmit music from a CD, etc . . . Probably could easily set up a PA system, as well. Nice, sounds like something that could be developed and marketed, . I'm going to look into the FM transmitter in your link. Thanks for posting.
Old     (saroberts70)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-08-2007, 2:27 PM Reply   
I say wake up the neighbors.
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-09-2007, 4:17 PM Reply   
or if you dont mind wearing a helmet...
http://www.headzone.us/us/default.asp

(Message edited by gmarkham1 on February 09, 2007)
Old     (dldunn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-11-2007, 11:47 AM Reply   
Ours is a Belkin. It just plugs into your cig lighter and a few different frequencies....you can get it at Wal-Mart. I think it was like $20.
Old     (houdini)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-11-2007, 2:30 PM Reply   
Thanks for the link on that heavy duty FM transmitter mikeski. I use "Monster" brand for my ipod in the car and I have found it to be the best one. It was close to $80. That one you sent over looks amazing.

Another great use is when you link up boats at a party. Each boat throws the same radio frequency and you can all party with the same music.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-11-2007, 4:28 PM Reply   
You could probably make a directional antenna pretty cheap. FM is easy.