Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old    bofus5104            03-26-2003, 11:12 AM Reply   
Anyone have any ideas on how to "hotwire" or unstick an outdrive that is stuck in the down position. It's stuck and I can't move it out of the driveway
Old    leggester            03-26-2003, 11:19 AM Reply   
Depends on the drive, what kind? If it's not the lift motor that's the problem you could possibly jump the selinoids.
Old    bofus5104            03-26-2003, 12:10 PM Reply   
Merc alpha1 ..how do I jump the selinoids??
Old     (texomatom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-26-2003, 1:29 PM Reply   
Thomas,
When you try the switch, do you hear a click from the back (near the trim pump)? If so your solenoid is attempting to power the pump. If you do not hear it click, then your solenoid is most likely bad (an easy fix). You should have an up and a down solenoid. You can swap the two and see if your drive then fails to go down.
If you have any problems locating the solenoids, they are wired in between your switch and trim pump. Trace the wires from one to the other and you should find them. Probably easier to trace from the pump.

HTH

Tom
Old    leggester            03-26-2003, 2:23 PM Reply   
Doesn't the trailer switch work? Should/can be used as an override for the trim up.

I had this problem awhile back - turned out to be a bad battery - battery needs FULL charge.

Otherwise, like Tom said, there are two 'noids'.

Good luck,
Matt
Old    jschilling            03-26-2003, 2:25 PM Reply   
I had the same problem with the same drive but I was at the lake. I popped off the plastic caps where the hydrolics attach to the outdrive. Then removed the "C" clips and pushed the whole rod out. Tied the unit to both cleats with the ski rope and went straight to dealer. Quick and dirty but it worked.
Old     (wakeboardin)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-26-2003, 3:16 PM Reply   
I had a simular problem with the alpha drive. Here is what happened to me: all the sudden my trim quit and I couldn't trailer either so I charged the battery and then called the dealer they are real helpful and walked me through it. It turned out to be the limit switch which is a round switch with two wires coming out of the sides right near the top toward I think its called the gimble. If you loosen this up and turn it it is the limit of travel for the outdrive I believe that one side is up and the other side is down limits. I had to replace mine at $40.00 I think but it was tough to get the wires through to re-attach. I would suggest calling your dealer or local shop andasking them they walked me through changing it every step of the way. Depending on how technical you are you can also remove the wires to the trim pump and check for resistance to verify the motor is ok. Good Luck,

Steve
Old     (csquared)      Join Date: Jan 2002       03-26-2003, 3:50 PM Reply   
If you are sure that it is not a simple fuse, electrical, switch, position indicator, battery problem, you can lift the drive by removing the hydralic arms from where they bolt to the stern drive (two bolts and about 10 minutes of time) and manually lift the drive and support it with a rope or strap. Basically, it's the first step in removing the whole stern drive.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-26-2003, 6:55 PM Reply   
Actually Thomas if your outdrive is similar to mine all that holds on the arms is 2 "E" clips, be careful popping them off as they will fly. If you have a shop manual and know how to use a meter you can find out of its the relays, or motor/pump.