Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-23-2003, 8:47 AM Reply   
I want to replace the factory tanks in the rear lockers with 500 pound fat sacs. I looked at my X2 yesterday and the mechanic told me there is just one pump now for draining and filling. Has anyone done this on an 03 x2 or other MC model with an 03 ballast set up and if so how easy was it? I think it will be relatively simple.
I also want to hook up two water bed tubes into the front ballast. They would go under the front seats in the bow. I think the 03 is different than the 02 setup the pump is different. Thanks for any help. I still haven't picked my boat up yet but once I get into this process I'll post my results.
Old     (doubleup)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-23-2003, 9:42 AM Reply   
I did it on my '01. Completely different setup. Its worth it, the tanks don't hold even close to enough weight that needs to be back there. You'll definately need more weight up front as well to balance it out. Good luck, just sounds like you need to change some fittings to fit the sacks.
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-23-2003, 5:38 PM Reply   
Yeah I will try to figure out how to connect two water bed tubes to the ski locker ballast. They will fit under the bow seats. Otherwise I'll put a 500 pound sac up front in the floor of the bow.
Old     (jjared)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-23-2003, 7:04 PM Reply   
Wilson, I just picked up the Launch Pad Lounge. It's a 540lbs sac that can fit in the center and also provides a seat. It would offset the extra weight in the back
Old     (houseofpayne)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-23-2003, 9:58 PM Reply   
John, I noticed on your profile that you have a jump seat in your X-star. We are picking up our 03 x2 next week and were contemplating buying the jumpseat. Do you find it useful? Do you mind if I ask you what they charged you?

It would be cool to replace the 200lb or so tanks in the back with a bigger setup. We are going to put about 4 65lb lead bricks up under the bow, and buddies in the back.

Old     (jjared)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-24-2003, 8:37 AM Reply   
Jason, they threw it in with the boat for free so I don't know what they charge. I am replacing it with the Launch Pad Lounge that I just purchased. In the summer we'll leave the center window open and push it up to the nose of the boat and in the spring/fall we'll put it in just like the jump seat.

I was contemplating taking out the tanks in the back and putting my two 600lbs sacs back there but I think I am just going to setup a quick release valves on them and fill them about halfway along with the factory and then the lounge in the center. It will be huge. We'll only run that large of a setup a few times a year.
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-24-2003, 11:56 AM Reply   
Hey Wilson,

I was looking at the connections / pumps in our X-2 as well, and coudn't quite figure out where the second pump was. Makes sense that the one both fills and empties. Do you know if that is also the case for the center / locker bag? I think so since the two other hoses coning out of the bag both seem to just go to overflow / no empty pump on either.
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-25-2003, 4:56 AM Reply   
I am sure that one pump fills and empties. I think the one pump does all three. If that is the case and there is one connection for fill/drain and one for overflow then it should be easy to replace the hard tanks in the back with 500 pound fat sacs. My fat sacs have two valves on them. Hopefully I'll pick up my boat this week and I can get in there and really look at it. I'm still waiting for them to do the paper work. I'm getting a little irritated!!!! I want to get it out and start breaking it in.
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-25-2003, 6:30 AM Reply   
There is definitively three pumps on the X-2 setup: the one under the back corner seat and there is one on each side in the rear lockers behind the rear panel towards the transom. You can see them if you look in from the engine compartment.

What I meant by "second" pump were the three pumps for emptying that I had been told were also on the boat. But yes, looks like they are now only using three reversible ones. With the same in/outlet for the fill/empty, one owerflow each for the hard tanks and two overflows for the center sack. This should make the system pretty easy to tap into. I guess prior years' had six pumps?
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-25-2003, 8:33 AM Reply   
That makes more sense to me than one pump for all three. If it's set up like that then it should be easy to replace the hard tanks. If I can do that then I'll only have one to fill up in the bow(500 pounds).
I know some people leave the lead weights in the bow all the time but I would be concerned about towing with that much extra weight in there.
Old     (airfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-25-2003, 2:24 PM Reply   
I posted some pictures of my sacks in my 02'in an earlyier post.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/50209.html

From what I have seen the 03 should be very simular. If you tee into the vent line that exits the side, you can connect sacks in the bow. They will fill after the center floor sack.
Old    xwake            03-25-2003, 7:56 PM Reply   
Warning. Airfreak's pictures in the other thread show he's using a 1" barb (which is an excellent idea) to connect the factory hose to his fat sack. It provides a very strong and virtually leak proof connection. But, be aware that if you put a 1" barb into your fat sack you will NEVER be able to get it back out without destroying the nozzle on the fat sack. The barbs on the fitting will catch on the bottom of the nozzle and not allow you to pull it out. So if you will EVER have the need to remove your sacks from the boat you will need to either saw off the barb portion of the fitting or use a grinder to grind the barbed rings down even with the rest of the fitting before you put it into the nozzle. I learned this lesson the hard way.

Airfreak:

Great idea. Those blue water bed fittings leaked like crazy and they don't hold up very long either. Thanks

-Bo
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-26-2003, 10:22 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input.