Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ndg10)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-23-2008, 5:42 PM Reply   
Hey I was just wondering if you someone could help me pick out a board cause summers coming very soon and I would like to have a new one by then. I have been looking at Walzer and Walker mainly but I would like your opinion on what board would be good before I spend a bunch of money on a board. I saw this thing that someone else filled out when he was trying to get help with picking out a board so i thought i would fill it out too. Let me know if you need anymore information. Thank you.

1) Is price a factor? Price isnt really a factor
2) Is made in the USA a factor? No
3) Is hand made a factor? No
4) Are graphics important? Im not gonna pick a board just cause it looks cool but it would be nice for it to look good.
5) Is durability a factor? (some surfboard construction is almost delicate compared to a wakeboard) I guess I would prefer a stronger board but its not a big factor
6) Is fitting in a wakeboard rack important? No
7) Will you be the only one riding this board or will it be communal or will you teach others with it? If so - ages, weight and size of the other folks It will be shared between me and my brother I weigh about 150 and he weighs about 180. And we wont teach anyone on it cause we will just use our old board for that.
8) Do you mind buying it online, or is it important that you buy it at your local pro shop? It doesn't matter.
9) Do you have an concerns with material used in construction, for example it has to be epoxy, or no wood? No

and finally

10) How do you see yourself riding it...do you have a skate background where you want to do shuv's or possibly a longboard background where you want to hang 10?
We have been surfing for about 3 years now and we just need a more advanced board. We are pretty advanced riders so we are looking for a board that we can throw 360's with but also get air and throw shuv's and aerials. We are not interested in a longboard.
Old    surfdad            03-23-2008, 7:24 PM Reply   
That form works well. Ok, you and your brother are the perfect sizes for a BUNCH of boards. The one trick that separates your selection is the shuv. When you land the shuv, your board is revert. On most skim style boards, they have a single trailing fin that is mounted on the centerline. When such a board is revert, pumping the boad to catch back up to the wake is pretty easy. The fin doesn't catch on the wake.

The TWP 4.5 and the Walzer Alpha both are twin fins. That configuration moves the fins outwards toward the rail and as such can cause the fin closest to the wake to catch when learning the shuv and also when pumping the board when it's revert.

Realistically, a skimstyle board can do any trick you want behind the boat and several tricks, like a big spin, that would be virtually impossible with a more surfstyle board such as those with a twin fin or tri fin configuration.

Good solid skim style boards that will allow you to spin 3's, do aerials and land shuv's would include:

1) The Walzer Skim Pro
2) IS 4skim
3) Phase 5 Prop, Icon and the Danielo pro model
4) Calibrated Telum and Lovett Pro Model
5) Triple X Composite

and Victoria Skimboards makes a wakesurf board.

The 4skim has a unique fin placement - more forward than than the other boards. The Walzer is lightest of bunch.

Virtually all of the boards can be purchased or reviewed here:

https://generalstore.wakeoutlaws.com/wakesurfers.php

The shapes, sizes and ride are pretty similar for all the boards, it principally becomes which price and graphics you like most.
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-24-2008, 10:03 AM Reply   
I would say that Phase 5 Prop or Danielo would be the ideal for you and your brother. Not the Icon because your brother is a little heavier and that board would not be as much fun. But the Prop or the Danielo Small would be perfect for both of you. Even more so if you want to do airs and start throwing shuv's.
Old    surfdad            03-24-2008, 12:08 PM Reply   
Drew, I think that David has been very patient with us.

Advertising includes the posting of anything contributed by a person affiliated with a company (owners, employees, reps, riders, friends, etc.) with the sole intent to promote a company's products, events, web pages, etc.

I think a GREAT response is:

Jeff, you are exceptionally brillant, probably the best BALD rider around and I do understand why women swoon over you :-) (what?!) OK OK OK you can omit that preface...I think the best size recommendations with regard to the P5 would be the Prop or a Danielo Small. PERIOD.
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-24-2008, 12:50 PM Reply   
according to David, Drew did nothing wrong in answering a question especially since you brought that brand first

originally posted by David Williams :
There may even be situations where somebody asks what kind of board they should buy. That's a great opportunity for someone affiliated with a company to both help that person out AND actually promote their product at the same time. Don't be afraid to mention specific products if the situation calls for it. The only time I have a problem with people mentioning specific products is if it's done with the intention of sales rather than the intention of helping fellow forum members.
Old    surfdad            03-24-2008, 1:18 PM Reply   
Hey Sean,

I would guess that we have a difference in opinion on the language associated with "intention of sales" vs "intention of helping fellow members". I do hope that the forum isn't subject to further restrictions due to a simple misunderstanding and that I am being too cautious in my interpretation, as you suggest.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-24-2008, 3:38 PM Reply   
I'd spend more time on Wakeout Laws but I don't like how hard it is to read text on the site. I'm just not sure I know what the guidelines are. I'd say that Drew was in the clear. I'm confused.
Old     (ollies_drew)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-25-2008, 11:24 AM Reply   
Is me stating my opinion wrong. Yes I ride for phase 5. But I also only ride for companies that I truly believe in there product. I'm not the guy that rides for someone because it is free stuff or good money. I ride for them because I believe in it. So I when I give advice on Phase 5 or centurion or ...LOSt Clothing or whatever it is because sponsored or not this is the stuff I believe works the best. Just like everyone else who is stating what the believe is the best. i don't think anyone is doing any wrong here. If so then there is no point in coming on here and asking for opinion s on new boards. Not trying to be a jerk it just doesn't make since. If i was saying phase 5 is better than every other board and you should only buy that then I would understand. FRUSTRATING!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-26-2008, 7:03 AM Reply   
Jeff,

I'm not interpreting anything. If you read what I referenced David said answering a question like such is completely acceptable. If anything your reply violates it more.

No where does the original poster ask for places to purchase nor did you declare any affiliations like you clamor for everyone else to do. Does Wakeoutlaws not donate to your organization? If they do that definitely fits into the description of an affiliation or a potential bias.

(Message edited by caskimmer on March 26, 2008)
Old    surfdad            03-26-2008, 7:10 AM Reply   
"Does Wakeoutlaws not donate to your organization?"

Nope - Sean, your assumption is wrong. Why are you so angry?
Old     (drok)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-28-2008, 8:00 AM Reply   
I personally think that a surf style board is best, i rode a xbc board last summer and was able to do 3's pretty easy and the odd shuvit, also coming close on some 720's.
This summer I am going to try the new custom thruster because it has a pretty dope shape to it and seems like the best surf style shape out there to me.