Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            07-28-2006, 1:59 PM Reply   
We just returned from Minnesota and if you've never been to that area, it's God's country! :-)

http://www.mankatofreepress.com/local/local_story_208011645.html?keyword=topstory

The local paper made it a bit more about the "family values" of our travels than the actual contest, but they were complimentary of the Centurion that Crystal Pierz provided.

This year there were several improvements made. The first was the switch from the X-Star to the Enzo. An X-Star continued to pull the wakeboarding component.

Also, they had an onboard video camera with a wireless transmitter that sent images to a receiver and TV on the shore. This way folks on the shore were able to watch the wakesurfing action. THIS will be the way to make wakesurfing more enjoyable as a spectator sport. The idea, taken from barefoot skiing which has been using it since '01.

Last year they had 11 folks in the wakesurfing competition and they more than doubled that this year.

The Enzo tossed a great wake. They used 3 sac's rather than the Enzo sac and also had the switch blade deployed. The irritating "in your face" spray was less pronounced and they were able to travel at a much slower speed. It was no more than 11.5mph, a bit faster than normal recreational speed, but considerably slower than 13.7mph.

If you look at the attached picture you can see just a hint of spray at the beginning of the spine.

Upload

That had cool prizes, Inland Surfer donated a Yellow that Ben Hoffman won, amongst others.

I have a few pictures that I'll post as soon as I get them off the computer. If you are in the mid west, this is a great event and it's worth your effort to get there.
Old     (gb_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-29-2006, 9:55 AM Reply   
Glad it was a good turn out, I missed it because life sometimes gets in the way. I'll be there next time.
Old    surfdad            07-29-2006, 5:49 PM Reply   
Holmesy, sorry you couldn't make it. We'll be there again next year too.
Old    surfdad            07-29-2006, 5:53 PM Reply   
I wanted to give a glimpse into the pieces of the CCTV arrangement. This is the oictre of the Xstar that pulled the wakeboarding parts of the contest. If you look at the tower you'll see a large piece of PVC tubing taped to it. The transmitter and antenae were attached to the PVC tubing above the height of the tower.

Upload
Old    surfdad            07-29-2006, 5:55 PM Reply   
The signal from the transmitter is sent to this "tower" with a receiver that was set at the end of the dock. The box at the bottom of the tower is a repeater, which is used to send the signal over to an addiditional receiver that is connected to the monitor.

Upload
Old    surfdad            07-29-2006, 5:58 PM Reply   
This is the receiver that is set "line of site" alingment to therepeater and the picture below that is the TV, currently without a sigal.

Upload

Upload
Old    surfdad            07-29-2006, 5:59 PM Reply   
Oh! and did you notice the butter on Lake Washington in the background of those pictures?!
Old    surfdad            07-29-2006, 6:09 PM Reply   
Just a few of the riders that were staged for their run. Tom set it up interestingly. You had a straight run for 2 minutes or 3 falls, whichever came first.

Upload

This is the Enzo that Crystal Pierz provided. You can see the wake it threw, above, was very nice.

Upload

Jason of Crystal Pierz. Probably the best driver I've been pulled by in a wakesurfing contest. Smooth consistent up and straight as an arrow driving for me on the port side.

Upload