Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (dgoose)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-31-2006, 10:22 PM Reply   
I'm looking to see if any one has a video or knows how to set up a spine. I tried to set it up with a friend last weekend and it didn't work out the way we had hoped. I have a few pics so let me know what you think.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wakefilthsurf/album?.dir=5532scd&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=ht tp%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Jeff do you have any links? I did a search but the old links didn't work.
Old    surfdad            08-01-2006, 5:04 AM Reply   
Hey Greg, Two boats? Inland Surfer has some pictures, not sure about vid's. Shoot an email to Mark Sher he can help you set it up...but...not to be a stick in the mud, you know you can get cited for that here in CA, right? It's that 200 foot rule or whatever the distance is.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-01-2006, 10:26 AM Reply   
what is spine surfing ? (forgive my ignorance)
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-01-2006, 10:54 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/256669.html?1128031040
Old     (dgoose)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-01-2006, 12:20 PM Reply   
Jeff yes!
Tyler thanks for the link.
We had a distance of about 15ft between boats and running speed was 10-13 to see what would happen. Yes the driver on the left needs to be a top notch driver. I think were going to try this again in a few weeks.
Old     (travis_m)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-01-2006, 4:50 PM Reply   
Jeff, I heard that the 200 ft. rule is for when the rider has a rope. Do you know if that applies when the rope is dropped?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-01-2006, 5:15 PM Reply   
That's me in the link that Tyler posted, it was quite fun, when the wake get's that big it carries enough force to let you do lots of stuff like surf the foam, etc.

The boat on the right sets the perfect pass and drives straight, the boat on the left swings in to build the wake and modulates the throttle to maintain position with the boat on the right. I cannot emphasize enough how much focus and concentration needs to be maintained from the drivers. The driver on the right needs to understand he is the eyes for the driver on the left too, since the driver on the left needs to focus completely on the boat to the right so maintain distance and speed. In a perfect world the boat on the left will be a Nautique and the one on the right will be anything else so the surfing bowl will be clean on both sides.

If you want to see more pictures PM me, I can send you a link to my slideshow with several Tsunami/Spine surfing pix.
Old    surfdad            08-01-2006, 7:46 PM Reply   
Hey Travis, California has a bunch of 50, 100 and 200 foot designations. The one that is associated with the rope is you have to maintain a safe distance for TWICE the length of the rope. It doesn't specifically state "even if the rope is dropped" :-) But I'm sure the intent of the legislature is to maintain a safe distance that would encompass a circle that had as it's circumference twice the distance between the rider and the boat...but feel free to test that in court and report back to me. :-)

The other, more general provision states:

"Boat at a safe speed and keep a safe distance from other boats and obstacles."

http://www.publicaffairs.water.ca.gov/LakesWeek/boatsafety.cfm

Safe, of course, varies by individual circumstance, but as I understand it wouldn't include running parallel within a few feet of each other. Even the rope rule would probably require a 30 foot distance between the boats.

There is ONE additional regulation that requires you to maintain a distance that would allow you to stop your boat (apply the brakes? :-) ) withtin "X" distance from "X" speed, in order to avoid a collision.

I talked with some folks at the DBW...somewhere I have the details of that conversation and they basically said - you can't be that close above no wake speeds. If it's imperative, I can get those code sections and the details of that conversation. However, it appears that folks are just going to try it when the Sheriff isn't around, not try to beat a ticket. :-)
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-01-2006, 11:46 PM Reply   
whoa.... very cool..

thanks !!!