Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (jovedawake)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-27-2006, 11:54 PM Reply   
So I'm ready to buy my first wakesurf board. I've narrowed my options down to the "Inland Surfer Blue Lake".

What do you guys think of my choice?

I don't want to buy from a big company that makes everything (o'brien, lf, hypyerlite,cwb, etc.).

Inland Surfer seems like a decent price (little high), but they look sweet, perform great(from what I've seen), and it seems like they make wakesurf boards for more reasons than money.

I think I'm wanting more of a surf style board, but one I'll be able to slide around a little as I progress..and the Blue Lake seems like that type of board.

opinions? thoughts?
Old    surfdad            07-28-2006, 3:53 AM Reply   
The only question I would have is your weight Charlie. If you're 400 pounds :-) the Blue Lake isn't going to perform for you. I enjoyed the Blue Lake when I was using it at clinic's. The board is exceptionally fast and with 3.25 SB2 fins it is also loose when you push the tail. It will perform just as you describe.

The cost of new boards is bit shocking these days...I know how to get you the board for about half price. If you check the thread started by Ed Sullivan titled: DEMO, DEMO, DEMO the blue lake in that picture will be available for sale after the Socito Wake Fest for $225, plus shipping. It's for all intents and purposes NEW right now, but will have a few rides by the end of that gathering. I'm sure it will still be in excellent shape.

If you can make it, I'd encourage you to head over to Ohio for the Wake Fest, you could actually demo that board before spending your hard earned money too.
Old    surfdad            07-28-2006, 4:12 AM Reply   
To eliminate the ghosted posting reference created by deletion :-) AND ask again Ed: dates, times and location of the Wake Fest? Just so I don't screw it up. Am I regressing? :-)
Old     (jrodhyco)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-28-2006, 5:17 AM Reply   
Charlie, I have the blue lake and I like the board and it is very fast. Over all a very nice board but a little on the big side. I wish I could have rode the Yellow before buying the blue but oh well. I ordered a Piranha from Shred Stixx that I should be riding this weekend. I will let you know what I think.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-28-2006, 5:29 AM Reply   
Columbus, Ohio,
Griggs Reservior,
August 5th wakesurf comp and wakeboard clinic
August 6th Wakeboard Comp and wakesurf clinic
Demos both days.

Jeff, please send me an email to firm up the disposition of the Inland Surfer boards after Wakefest.

I'd let Charlie have the "Surf This" for $200:-)

Charlie where do you live in that state up north? We'd love to see you come down to the Wakefest. You could demo the Blue, Orange, and Stixxreme at wakefest. On top of that I have an Inland Surfer Red, a Trick Boards Mojo XL, and a Broadcast 5.6 That I'll let Wakefest participants ride.
Old    surfdad            07-28-2006, 5:54 AM Reply   
John, this is at least the second time I've read your reference to the SS Pir. You're weighing in at 215 - easily 25 pounds too heavy for that board. Did you consult with Jerry before purchasing? If you have decent skills you'll be fine, but it isn't the best option for someone your size, especially just starting out. You'll be sure to MENTION that in your opinion of that board? Specifically that you consulted with Jerry and you have mad skills so he said GO with this, or that you just bought it w/o consultation. I'm a bit worried in the other thread where you mention it to an individual your size that specifically mentions he's "still learning".

Ed, I have several "surf this"'s in the more desirable natural wood tone, for $150 plus handling. :-) Send me a check for $150 and I'll drop ship the "SURF THIS" to your local Home Depot, they require a small handling fee of about $25 plus applicable local taxes. :-)
Old     (jovedawake)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-28-2006, 10:02 PM Reply   
Jeff, I'm 5'10 and I only weigh 135lb.

Jeff & Edward,

What is the "Surf This"? Is there a website for the wakefest? Or a place where I can find more info?
What is it, just a bunch of people demoing wakesurf boards? Cool.

If I couldn't make it to the wakefest, could I still get that Blue Lake for $225 + shipping?
Old    surfdad            07-29-2006, 5:18 AM Reply   
Charlie,

Ed and I are messing around, he has a 2x10 that he's painted and refers to it as "Surf This" :-) Ed is presenting it as a challenge to folks that attend the Scioto Wake Fest.

At the end of Wake Fest that Blue Lake will be available for sale. It will be offered on a first come, first served basis. If Ed has no takers, you most certainly can buy it.

At your size and weight the SS Pir or IS Blue would be fine.
Old     (jovedawake)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-29-2006, 8:26 AM Reply   
Jeff,

I have seen you post a lot on here, and you seem to know a lot about wake surfing. So besides the Blue Lake, are there any boards that you would recommend? In the post above, I already have stated my weight, height, and what I believe I would want in a board.

I have never tried wake surfing before, but it looks like so much fun (especially on a choppy day, or when everyone is tired, which happens often). In addition, the basics of the sport seem like I could easily catch on. I'm sure tricks are not the easiest, but just riding seems pretty simple, but FUN.

I've wanted a board for a long time, but because of the price, I have been hesitant.

Is it okay to go to this wakefest with never even trying the sport before?

Thanks
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-29-2006, 1:41 PM Reply   
Charlie, I just rode the Blue Lake for the first time today. I weight about 215, I’ve dialed in my wake pretty nicely (I think), I've been wake surfing for a bout a year and mainly ride a Trick Boardz Mojo, but I also ride a Red Tide and a Broadcast 5.6. Today I also rode a Shred Stixx, Stixxreme and an Inland Surfer Orange for the first time.

I was really impressed with the Blue. All of the Inland Surfer boards are very light so is the Stixxreme. The board was so light it felt like I could really swing it around, much more maneuverable than the Broadcast.

The Blue has two fins in the back and feels a little loose, but not so loose that a beginner would have any difficulty.

I like the Blue much more than the Broadcast. When riding the Broadcast close to the boat we've buried the nose (pearling) and we can rarely recover when it happens. The problem seems to be worse on the starboard-goofy wake.

Today when I was riding the Blue I thought I hit a log a couple of times, or at least I felt a thud. After a while I reasoned that it must have been the large dimple on the front running surface of the board. The dimple must help prevent pearling. A few times I pushed the nose of the board in to the water pretty hard, lots of spray can up, but I was able to keep my ride going.

I also like the Inland Surfer foot pads. The pads on the Red and Blue are a single large 3/8 of ˝ inch rubber checkerboard. It feels like my feet have a very good grip ion the board.

My Daughter won’t let me buy the Blue, she wants have some good ideas for next Christmas, I want one!

Of course it’s OK to come to the Wakefest. The Wakefest is a “Grass Root”, Fun Class event. There might be some high caliber “Outlaw” wakeboard riders at the event, but those guys will shoot out for top honors among themselves. For wakeboarding we’ll have Novice, Intermediate, Advanced, Outlaw, Masters (over 30), and Vetran (Over 40) divisions. For Wakesurf we’ll have men’s and women’s advanced and Novice.

Come on down, meet some folks that enjoy the same sports you like, maybe sign up for a clinic, demo some great Malibu boats, and demo some of the best wakesurfing boards you can find anywhere. Besides if you enter the wakefest you might win one of the top prized boards from Trick Boardz or The Walker project. We’ll also raffle the demo Shread Stixx board.

Here are my Surf This and Skim That boards - a just for fun part of the comp, following the main events.
Upload

A few pictures of the Blue in action
Upload
Upload
Upload

And some of the Shread Stixx
Upload
Upload
Old     (jrodhyco)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-31-2006, 2:12 PM Reply   
Man where is the love Jeff Walker (surfdad)? Yes I did consult Jerry (A very nice fellow) before making a selection. Yes Jeff Walker (surfdad) I was able to surf the Shred Stixx Pirhana. So well in fact I left my Blue Lake on the dock all weekend.

The board was awesome and I mean AWESOME. I had a local shop owner on my boat Sunday and he wants Jerry to call him about retailing the board.

I also got a 225lb linebacker from Averett University (1st time rider) free riding on the board in 10 min.

This morning when I woke up I weighed 218lbs. I guess I have MAD SKILLS! Proof is in the pics!

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (jrodhyco)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-31-2006, 2:23 PM Reply   
One more thing. I was able to surf it @ 13.5 mph and I think I could have gone to 14 mph.
Old    surfdad            07-31-2006, 2:54 PM Reply   
Not busting on you John. You've got some skills!!! That is a key in your situation. Not everyone at your size can ride that board, especially newbies. Your pictures document that you came into the new board being able to ride. Jerry is the man when it comes to sizing people for a board.