Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       04-08-2006, 7:23 PM Reply   
I think that at about 270 I qualify as a BIG guy. Currently I ride a 6'2" custom 3" thick board. I thought that no commercially available wakesurf board would ever work well for me. Yesterday I was fortunate enough to ride with the Jeff Walker family and Mark Sher and Lance from Inland Surfer. I tried a inland Surfer Blue Lake just for kicks knowing that it would never work for me. I was sure that it would never float me. I was pleasantly surprised that even riding backside I could ride without the rope easily. I was able to easily link quick cutbacks and bottom turns. Mark said that the Red Tide would have been even easier as it is a little wider than the Blue Lake. My custom board will handle more weight it is harder to make quick maneuvers on. I have had 340 lbs on it and easily stayed in the pocket without the rope on a med sized wake. I can't wait to get another go on the Blue Lake.
Old    surfdad            04-09-2006, 6:55 AM Reply   
I was rather amazed at the results also, Dennis. I know that some of it is your ability, you've ridden since boyhood. One thing I've noticed with all the Inlands - they have down-the-line speed, super fast. With your big yellow and even that older Shred Stixx, you don't have the same speed as you did with that Blue Lake.

I also noticed that when you would lean forward, there were two things that kept you from pearling. Normally on your big yellow, when you'd start to lose the pocket, shifting weight too far forward would bury the nose. On that Blue Lake you actually had the nose rocker under water, but the tip of the nose was still out and so the board recovered. It seems the design is such that only the last six inches, or so, is nose rocker...and it's pretty substantial...the combination seems to offer more speed and makes it harder to pearl the board.

The promo on that board talks about that dimple in the nose...I'm still not convinced, but maybe there is something to it?

Jeff Page was generous enough to let me use a Blue Lake for the clinics we are putting on this summer, starting at the Moomba Jamboree...I'd be interested to see the size ranges that can ride that board.
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-09-2006, 3:28 PM Reply   
speaking of boards...the Skiers Choice board was waiting for me when I got home from my puking trip, I mean camping trip. Bee you tee full!

It didn't come with fins. No fins anywhere in that box.

e

e
Old    surfdad            04-09-2006, 4:58 PM Reply   
You lost the fins?! :-) See, I KNEW you would try and ride it first!!!!!!! I'll get a set on the way to you this week.

Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       07-04-2006, 9:15 PM Reply   
Test rode a couple of Shred Stixx today on the Delta. As previously posted I am a big guy so finding a board that is rideable and performs is a tough combination. I rode a Stixxtreme Winged Flying Fish 5'8" size first. The wake on the goofy side was tall and steep and the pocket was fairly short. I don't believe I could have ridden my 6'2" custom board in this wake. The Stixxxtreme handled the wake with ease because of the quickness edge to edge in the turns. Because of the steepness of the wake I tended to bury the nose at the bottom. Normally this would have lead to a full pearl and the end of the ride. This board seemed to just power thru and bring the nose back out and the ride continued. I rode this board with three fins and also with the rear fin removed. The board was much freer without the back fin though the drive was still there. All in all a great board for someone with size. I also rode the new model that Chase Hazen rides in competitions. I think it is 4'11". This board was rideable for me but requires to much attention to wake position. I think someone 50 lbs lighter would be able to ride this board with much success. This was my first trip to the Delta and all the "bad" stories are true. For your personal safety don't ride on the Delta.
Old     (the_right_kind)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-06-2006, 5:22 PM Reply   
Dennis , I'm a big guy too, but you've got a few #'s on me.
My wife got me a Hyperlite Landlock last month for my b-day but I haven't had a chance to ride it yet.
Have you had a chance to try this board?
Any feedback?
I've heard that the fins fall off because Hypelite sent them out with to short of screws.
Old     (jrodhyco)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-06-2006, 6:50 PM Reply   
I am 220 and I have a 23 LSV. I was able to ride for about 1 min on the landlock but found it hard to keep going. Later that day my wife stepped on my board and broke my fins so I decided to buy a new board. I just got my Blue Lake today so tomorrow I am going to try it out.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-07-2006, 4:38 AM Reply   
John, What's your set up on your LSV. Is the surf wake is better with the wedge up or down, have you experimented?
Old     (jrodhyco)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-17-2006, 7:05 PM Reply   
Sorry for the slow response. Last weekend I added a 750 lb pro x fat sac to the port side. All factory ballast full but the starboard side. Wedge 3/4 down. Speed about 10.5 but I am still playing with it. I think I need about 250 more lbs because I had a big guy earlier in the day and the wave was big. I was able to do just about anything behind my buddies 247 on the landlock.

IMO - The landlock is a lot better on a big wave then the Blue Lake. So instead of investing in a Blue Lake I would invest in more ballast.

I am still trying to get more curl out of the wake but I guess it takes time. I should have kept my Enzo since I like surfing so much now but you can't beat the creature comforts and gadgets on the LSV.
Old    basemechanic            07-18-2006, 8:33 PM Reply   
liquid force 5.6
im 335 and this board works great for me