Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (paolad)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-11-2006, 10:00 PM Reply   
Does the board that uses wakeboard fins need a more solid wake? As I have riden behind my boat with a board with surf fins and more length. But when riding a shorter board with wakeboard fins, i could only ride without the rope for few seconds.
Old     (gary_in_ia)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-12-2006, 5:13 AM Reply   
Fins will help with tracking. The board size itself is the factor for being able to surf your wave. The shorter board is the issue. You may need to tweek your wave or tweek your riding stance.

BTW. I'm probably going to replace my surf fins this weekend with shorter waveboarding fins to try some spins.
Old    surfdad            07-12-2006, 5:36 AM Reply   
Gary, with all due respect, longer fins, such as commonly found on surfstyle boards like XBC, Shred Stixx and Inland Surfer do provide more drive and thus speed. Take two boards of same surface area and the board with properly placed fins of 3"+ length WILL BE faster, will have more drive than the same board with 1" fins. The channeling of water through the fins helps provide lift. Additionally, the greater surface area of the larger (and possibly more fins) gives greater drive forward with less side to side pumping energy.

I would concur that MANY folks think a "board is a board" and so we see 400 pound folks unable to ride the 4'4" Coex - gee I wonder why? :-) I would also point out that fin depth and the number of fins plays a significant role in the drive and "terminal velocity" of a board :-)
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-12-2006, 9:49 AM Reply   
Longer fins definitely allow you to ride with a smaller wake under any circumstances, but with experience you learn to use the edges of the board to compensate for some of the lost juice.
Old     (surfkid)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-12-2006, 9:37 PM Reply   
longer fins by any means will give you alot more drive down the line but as said a larger board will float you better on a mushy wave
Old     (paolad)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-14-2006, 9:27 AM Reply   
So until I can make my wake bigger should I switch out the wakeboard fins for some surfstyle fins? I dont want to trade in my board as I know it will be a good board once I get a better wave.