Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            06-18-2006, 1:37 PM Reply   
The second stop in our series went off yesterday up at Villa Lagos. Again, a great time for all. Chuck and Linda Payton of the NorCal INT League increased the time allocation to 2+ hours. We started at 5pm and ran to almost dark. We had a full roster with 19 riders. Up by 5 from our first stop. Another decided success and all of us here at the AWSA extnd our gratitude to the NorCal INT League, Chuck and Linda Payton in particular, all of the riders and our sponsors: Inland Surfer, Calibrated Wakesurfers, Xtreme Board Company, Trick Boardz, Wakesurfing Magazine, Walker Surfboards, 2nsane, Shred Stixx and Entrust Clothing.

I also want to PERSONALLY thank my volunteers. Jerry Price of Shred Stixx for all of expertise and judging talent.

Dennis Horton, for his good nature, calm demeanor incredible ballast talents :-) and his dedication to the AWSA and judging the sport. You are a good friend and it is good to be able to know I can always rely on you.

Mike Armstrong of Calibrated Wakesurfing and former professional snowboarder for Burton snowboards. Also with excellent skills in ballast making and judging.

Jesse Martinez of Xtreme Board Company for his willingness to help out with all aspects of the event and snapping som of the best pictures.

The winners of this event:

NOVICE

1rst - Mike Kozacek
2nd - Joshua Twelker
3rd - Wesley Daley

WOMENS

1rst - Raequel Hoffman
2nd - Shawna Hoffman
3rd - Judy Walker

MASTERS

1rst - Jerry Price
2nd - Jeff Walker
3rd - Dennis Horton

ADVANCED

1rst - James Walker
2nd - Chase Hazen
3rd - Billy Bassett

Congratulations to all our winners. We also added a "MOST" category to recognize some of our most unique competitors:

Most Improved - Josh Twelker
Best Effort - Alyssa Twelker
Most Unique Style - Jerry Price
Most Creative - Chase Hazen
Most Enthusiastic - Judy Walker
Old    surfdad            06-18-2006, 1:46 PM Reply   
Chase Hazen with the trophies awarded the winners

Upload

The legend of wakesurfing, Jerry Price of Shred Stixx

Upload

Mike Armstrong of Calibrated Wakesurfers

Upload

Jesse Martinez and the Xtreme Board Company booth

Upload
Old    surfdad            06-18-2006, 1:51 PM Reply   
One of the most unique things about this event is that we have the biggest names in wakesurfing available to talk about riding and design. Jerry Price and Mike Armstrong, both owners of board companies, are two of the most innovative manufacturers in the market today.
Old    surfdad            06-18-2006, 1:53 PM Reply   
The Shred Stixx booth with a sampling of the Stixx Jerry was showing off.
Upload
Old    surfdad            06-18-2006, 1:58 PM Reply   
Some pictures of the action
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            06-18-2006, 2:05 PM Reply   
More
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            06-18-2006, 2:10 PM Reply   
even more! :-)
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (norcal72)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-18-2006, 2:32 PM Reply   
Nice work Jeff. Sorry I missed this one as I was out of town on vacation. I sure hope to make the next one.
Old    surfdad            06-18-2006, 3:02 PM Reply   
Hey Marc, I do hope you can catch one of the last two, also. You're really stepping up your ride! :-)
Old    surfdad            06-18-2006, 3:07 PM Reply   
The first picture is of Chase - I'm sorry Chase all of the pictures of you airing have your head chopped off!

Upload

James ollying into a 3

Upload
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-18-2006, 5:25 PM Reply   
great Jeff, why you dont build your own web site or blog, because you have tons of very interesting info diffused all around this forum?
Old     (shawna_h)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-18-2006, 10:18 PM Reply   
hey guys! I had another awesome time surfing on saturday! I definitely liked the wake; it was huge! I appreciate all of your hard work putting this together, driving up here, getting sponsors for awesome prizes and trophies! I was most impressed with James and Mike's 3's and james and chase's big airs!I didn't get a chance to see all the riders, but I could tell everyone else was having a good time. Can't wait for next stop! Thank you!
Old     (wakeskate)      Join Date: May 2006       06-18-2006, 10:55 PM Reply   
sick pictures
Old    surfdad            06-19-2006, 3:55 PM Reply   
Shawna, you stepped up your ride this past stop and moved into second place! Great riding! You were so cute when you got into the boat, saying you had such fun and could surf all day. :-)

Mike!!!!! You ripped! I have to warn you, the judges are talking about requiring you to move into the advanced division. You have some mad skills on the Xylo! Glad that we had a place for you this stop. By the way, your first place trophy was given to Chuck for safekeeping.
Old    surfdad            06-19-2006, 4:01 PM Reply   
Sadly this picture didn't come out well. The novice divsion. Mike Kozacek wasn't present at the trophy presentation, Joshua Twelker and Wesley Daley get their awards.

Upload
Old    surfdad            06-19-2006, 4:03 PM Reply   
The women's division winners Raequel Hoffman, Shawna Hoffman and Judy Walker.
Upload
Old    surfdad            06-19-2006, 4:07 PM Reply   
The masters division winners Jerry Price, yours truly and Dennis "Big Kahuna" Horton
Upload
Old    surfdad            06-19-2006, 4:09 PM Reply   
The advanced division winners James Walker, Chase Hazen and Billy Bassett.
Upload
Old    surfdad            06-19-2006, 4:12 PM Reply   
The winners of the board give aways - an Inland Surfer Orange Phlegm and Calibrated's Pintail...some guys have ALL the luck! :-)
Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            06-19-2006, 4:16 PM Reply   
Jesse Martinez ripping it on the Xtreme Board Company Skate (just for clarity, Jesse's PFD is under his jersey). Jesse is the consumate professional, thank you again Jesse for all your understanding and assistance with the event, you rock.
Upload
Old    surfdad            06-19-2006, 4:17 PM Reply   
James and Billy waiting for trophies! :-)
Upload
Old    surfdad            06-19-2006, 4:20 PM Reply   
My last photo, be honest isn't that cutest baby ever? Mike Armstrong, his lovely wife Molly and baby Miles. I think this photo sums up the event very well, family gathered to share in promoting the growth of the sport and having a great time. Thank you again Mike for making the trip and providing all of your expertise and to Molly for your deep understanding on your B-day.
Upload

(Message edited by surfdad on June 19, 2006)
Old     (wakeskate)      Join Date: May 2006       06-19-2006, 10:58 PM Reply   
jeff
thanks yeah it was fun. thats fine do what you guys have to do. i got my trophy from chuck on sunday thanks
Old     (cheeseman)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-20-2006, 10:46 AM Reply   
Jeff,

You guys have been great. All of your sponsors that were there looked like they were having a good time. Keep up the good work your passion shows.
Old    surfdad            06-27-2006, 5:41 AM Reply   
Thanks Chuck, we truly are enjoying the contest and our association with the NorCal INT League. For my sponsors and also Ed Sullivan, this is the back of the T-shirt's for the second stop. We've choosen colors based upon place ribbon colors 1rst was blue, 2nd was red, 3rd will be goldish. :-) Thanks again to all the listed sponsors.
Upload
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-27-2006, 9:42 AM Reply   
Got it, Thanks Jeff!

The only way for tying in the trade marked "Surf Ohio" I can think of is to invite Kaplan to attend the event so he could sell his Ts and let the event skim a little off each sale, or maybe he could give us some Ts to sell for him and we'd keep part of the proceeds.

Heck maybe he'd be willing to print our Event Ts.
Old    surfdad            06-29-2006, 2:41 PM Reply   
Check this link to the pictures of all the action. The Hoffman sisters, I have heard, are the two best female wakeboarders in the state...as their recent contest wins down south indicate. Jessie! Take a look at the XBC booth pictures. In my time, back when FASB 13 was cutting edge :-) , CPA candidates didn't look as cute as Katie! :-)
Old    surfdad            06-29-2006, 2:51 PM Reply   
I guess actually POSTING the link would be helpful, huh? :-)

http://www.infojunkie.info/int2006/june-17-18-2006/page3.html
Old     (gary_in_ia)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-06-2006, 8:29 PM Reply   
Jeff, I'm curious as to what tricks were being thrown in each division. Can you provide a summary?
Old    surfdad            07-07-2006, 9:08 AM Reply   
Hey Gary, thanks for asking. Currently we have 4 divisions:

Novice
Women's
Advanced
Masters

It's a slight break from the normal INT League format, but when we organized the event we just had NO IDEA who would show up and at what levels.

In the Novice division, which has the preponderance of riders, mostly we are seeing top and bottom turns. We will be advancing the winner of the Novice division to the Advanced division for the remainder of the stop Mike K was killing it with his surface 3. Typically, though, the Novice division is top and bottom turns, and perhaps a floater.

The women's division has the Hoffman sister's riding and we saw the top and bottom turns and floaters, but also a tucked stance with a grab and pumping back into the pocket.

The masters are us old folks! :-) We also did the top and bottom turns, floaters, hanging five, tucked stance with grabs, lots of pumping back into the wake :-) I attempted a three but hung up on the lip. Jerry hung 5, tucked and pumped simultaneoulsy! :-)

The advanced saw lots of tricks. Jesse Martinez set up for a board transfer from his XBC fish to the XBC skate. Hopefully he'll land it this stop. Chase and James threw a ton of airs, Chase with his signature 180 and they both tossed in Indy grabs. James landed a surface three, and attempted an ollie 3. Also all of the advanced riders did top and bottom turns, floaters, and misc stuff. :-)

The advanced folks are obviously the best riders, the novice division has lots of diversity in skill level and the masters division while we are all incredibly handsome, fall in between those two divisions. :-)
Old    surfdad            07-07-2006, 9:10 AM Reply   
I almost forgot! I am in the process of codifying the various tricks and assigning point values, (as well as developing text describing each trick with an associated picture) so that INT League folks can use it as a judging guide in the future.