Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2008

Old     (bpwilliams)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-23-2008, 4:41 PM Reply   
I have just recently decided to learn to wakeboard. I have a very minor case of cerebral palsey in my left arm and leg. I am having a little difficulty getting up. I was hoping someone might have a tip to help me compensate for my physical limitations. I seem to be plowing behind the boat and when I feel as though I am starting to rise out of the water... I lose my grip on the rope. I don't know if this is a problem attributable to a weaker grip with my left hand or if it a symptom of a bad starting stance. Any Advice?
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-23-2008, 4:51 PM Reply   
It should be easy as pie to get up with very little pressure on the board, in fact I can get up with one hand. It's all about having the board on the correct plane to easily get you up on top of the water. Put some pressure on your toes and let the boat pull you up on top of the board, and stay crouched until you are up.
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-23-2008, 4:54 PM Reply   
maybe try sitting on the edge of a low dock and gettin pulled of it.. as far as one arm.. i have a buddy who after a unfortunate boat accident can only use one arm and he gets up with just one arm.. hope this helps..
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-23-2008, 4:55 PM Reply   
gettin pulled off* it
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-23-2008, 5:01 PM Reply   
When done properly the pull on the rope is not that great. If you do it wrong you can end up playing tug-of-war with the boat and you will most likely lose.

The advice that I give beginners is to stand on the balls of your feet. If you put your weight on your heels the board will dig in and it won't lift you out of the water. Putting your weight up towards your toes will allow the board to flatten out and ease you up.

The second thing I tell the beginners is don't be in a hurry to turn the board. While the boat is still going slow you will be more stable with the board turned sideways. Wait until you are all the way up and the boat picks up speed before you try and turn the board.

Rod
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-23-2008, 5:03 PM Reply   
Its really simple...

arms straight
board horizontal
knees between arms
don't pull with your arms
don't push with your legs
plant your butt on your heels
start the boat very slowly
ride up sideways in a ball

stand up when out of the water
rotate the board putting your lead hip forward
drop your back hand for a moment to gain balance
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-23-2008, 5:51 PM Reply   
Greatdane's description is right on. That just makes you ball up and the boat does all of the work. If you are trying to use your own strength to get up, you'll get pulled over the front, lose your grip, etc. You may ask somebody who knows how to get up to do some on the dock or shore training so you can get the feel and then take it to the water.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-23-2008, 7:54 PM Reply   
try this thread
http://www.wakeworld.com/cgi-bin/Discus4/show.cgi?tpc=1&post=1190062#POST1190062
Old     (bpwilliams)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-02-2008, 4:47 AM Reply   
Thanks for all of the responses... I have not had a chance to get to the lake to try these suggestions yet but, I plan to go EARLY this weekend. I will let you know the progress.
Old     (marvin)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-02-2008, 8:29 PM Reply   
I think I will copy the way Greatdane put that..And just hand 'em out when people are learning... Good job...
Relax, do just what he said and BAM your up!!!!! Please post on here as soon as you get home... HAVE FUN WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (bpwilliams)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-07-2008, 9:10 AM Reply   
Hello... all of your tips helped... I got up on my first pull this weekend. Only thing is that my ride was short. I used a very slow start... later in the day, I had a new driver who clearly does not understand the meaning of the phrase slow start... it felt as though he was ripping my arms off on take-off... I hope to get back to the lake sometime this week after work.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-07-2008, 6:43 PM Reply   
kool to hear it... that you got up and all
just tell the driver how you like it next time.
awesome!