Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 18, 2006

Old    jeff_h            05-29-2006, 7:08 PM Reply   
Ok here's the deal. I am able to go wake 2 wake but I am not getting the hight that I would like. I ride a 2006 substance 138. If anyone could give me a few pointers it would be great. Thanks
Old     (delta_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-29-2006, 7:11 PM Reply   
the same with me, i ride a 2006 murray 138
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-29-2006, 7:17 PM Reply   
it's not how hard you cut, it's where you cut the hardest (at the wake)...progressive cut, stand tall and don't let handle out.
Old    jeff_h            05-29-2006, 7:26 PM Reply   
So just take a smooth progressive cut in and then push off the top of the wake hard? it seems like I am doing this but I will give it another go tomorrow. Do I need to put more weigth on my back foot or anything or just make sure to keep edge?
Old     (delta_rider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-29-2006, 8:30 PM Reply   
do you ollie off the wake?
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-29-2006, 8:45 PM Reply   
Push off the wake harder!

If you go in to the flats, chill out your cut and go higher, not as far out. It's all about transferring your momentum upwards.
Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-29-2006, 9:30 PM Reply   
Jeff do you know Harold Chatelain?
Old    jeff_h            05-30-2006, 8:13 AM Reply   
depoint50ae, I can't say that I do. Does he live on Bull Shoals?
Old     (craiger)      Join Date: May 2002       05-30-2006, 8:15 AM Reply   
To follow up with what Aden said, it sounds like you are going wake to wake because of the speed you generate cutting in. That is not the right approach.

Cut out about 15 feet and let the boat start to naturally pull you into the wake. Then as the rope tightens up and you are starting to be pulled in to the wake, set your edge and don't let off of it. As Joe said, you start off as slow as possible, build it up and up until you hit the wake, and there your edge should be at it's hardest. At that point you stand tall and marvel at how much air you are getting with less effort than before.

The first time you do it right you will know, beleive me. Then it's just a matter of getting used to it and getting the timing down.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-30-2006, 8:56 AM Reply   
up is much better than out.

seek a strong and short approach pop with a solid and in-control body position.

a strong body position has your knees over your toes and your hips under your shoulders.

progressive edge allows you to build an edge into the wake.

standing tall allows you to assert into the wake.

loading the line provides you pop off the wake.

keeping the handle close to your lead hip allows you to be in control while in the air.

get yourself a good instructional dvd.

get some lessons from a pro at a camp.

try to ride with some folks that know what they are doing.

note, even though I don't do it perfectly, I think my advice is sound. :-)
Old    jeff_h            05-30-2006, 9:17 AM Reply   
ok thanks. I have purchased the book and waketrix, and i have also ridden with murray, nunn, soven, and a few others. they all say the same thing. i guess it is different on the water though
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-30-2006, 9:41 AM Reply   
yep - speed vs. progressive edge. i just figured it out this year but i makes a HUGE difference. taking a big cut away from the wake and then turning the board perpendicular to the wake and holding on for your life - out of control, w/ no height.

Slowly rolling into the cut and loading the line harder and harder as you move toward the wake will send you up, then over. and you'll be in control the whole time
Old    jeff_h            05-30-2006, 1:16 PM Reply   
Ok. Thanks for all the help guys. Hope to hit the water today and see if it's any better. Thanks again.
Old    mattsl            05-30-2006, 7:10 PM Reply   
jeff, were you out on tablerock in the centurion in your profile this past weekend?
Old    jeff_h            05-30-2006, 7:44 PM Reply   
Matt, nope wasn't me. I have never been on Table Rock. I am usually riding on Bull Shoals. Now that we have a "real boat" we just might take a trip. Let me know if you are ever on Bull Shoals and we'll hit the water.
Old    mattsl            05-30-2006, 7:47 PM Reply   
right on, saw a centurion like yours for the first time this past weekend and thought it might be you
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-31-2006, 10:30 PM Reply   
I totally stink, but what Nacho said is similar to what helped me. Also, start standing up and stiffen your legs as you approach the wake. If you are doing it at the top of the wake, it is already too late. You aren't jumping with your legs, you are preventing your knees from absorbing the engery of the wake so it can bounce you up.