Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old     (dkmode34)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-03-2004, 9:41 PM Reply   
i have really been thinking lately about what i want to major in when i enter college and i am having no luck at all. Everyday all I think about is wakeboarding but I am not good enough to compete. What are some cool jobs out there that could be a good career plus make some bucks while being around the wakeboarding scene.
Old     (flashalexb)      Join Date: May 2004       07-03-2004, 10:09 PM Reply   
start your own shop.
Old     (justridin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-04-2004, 12:04 AM Reply   
Become a Doctor. Specialize in sports medicine. Doing knee surgery is a great way to be around riders.

Old     (w4k3b04rd3r19)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-04-2004, 12:48 AM Reply   
Flim, Photograpy, Art, Fashion (create clothes and stuff), Forgien Language (Maybe go on the WWA tour and Translate for all the pros and stuff). That pretty much sums up the direct jobs to work with the actualy pros.
Old     (seahorse)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-05-2004, 4:31 PM Reply   
A "Communications" degree sometimes gets a bad rep as an easy major - but with that degree you could do things like Public Relations, Media Relations, etc. Or a degree in Organizational Leadership will give you a background in planning and management areas - all of which can be used in things like working on the pro tour, for a magazine, for a shop, etc.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-06-2004, 7:32 AM Reply   
graphic design for wakeboards.
Old     (gnarkill)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-08-2004, 6:47 PM Reply   
Wes, I hate to break it to you buddy, but a career in the wakeboard industry is looking pretty bleak. Most of the people working in the industry have been working there for years, and if it weren’t for wakeboarding a lot of them would be delivering your piazza. So your goal should be to find a career job that makes a lot of money to allow you to go wakeboarding as much as you want, and buy all those neat little toys that go along with wakeboarding. Don’t listen to Keni, she is obviously a “Communications Major”, the reason people say that a Communications degree is easy Keni, because it is. I can’t remember the last time I herd people on campus saying, “Sorry I can’t go out, I have to study for this super gnarly public speaking class.” That is why most college athletes major in communications; you have to keep your jocks enrolled in class if you plan on winning any games. It’s a Liberal Arts degree for crying out loud. But don’t worry Keni, I’m sure that McDonalds has a nice Manager Trainee program for you. “We love to see you smile!” Ryan, buddy, no man in his right mind would go and become a Fashion and Design major unless you had some sugar in your tank, but good try, Keni can now hire you as an employee. “Service with a smile.” Now Wes, I’m at a cross roads with you on this job thing, you scare me because you live in Lubbock Texas home of the Red Raiders, and some of the fanciest houses on wheels I have ever seen in my life. Not UT material I’m guessing, are you Wes? And no, Wes, I would not eat myself, that is just gross, and typical Texas Tech behavior.
Old    xtremebordgurl            07-08-2004, 8:19 PM Reply   
Wes, what it really comes down to is how far you are willing to go and how determined you are to make something for yourself in this industry. You CAN do it, is it easy? No way, its pretty small and money is hard to come by. But again with a good attitude you can do anything. Also, Turkish, as with any major you get out of it what you put into it. I'm a communications major and I am NOT doing it because it is easy I am doing it because there is soooo much that I want to learn in the realm of film/digital video, photography and journalism. And not all the classes are easy for example Media Law isn't exactly a walk in the park. But with even the most difficult degrees some people can just cruise through and with some of the so-called easier degrees if you put a lot of time and effort into them you can walk away with more than you'd expect. But its what you make of it. Wes, yes you do have to be realistic and realize that a career in the wake industry will not be easy or lucrative but if that is something you are willing to live with than don't be afraid to follow your dreams and just go for it 110%.
Old    cryft            07-08-2004, 9:16 PM Reply   
Really, pick whatever right now, I'm going in as an English/Pre-Law major so I can make some money as a lawyer and wakeboard as much as I want, but I might change it later. You don't have to worry too much about your major just as long as you know what college you want to major in... at least for my school... as long as I change majors to something else in Liberal Arts then I should be ok, as far as class requirements go, until junior year.
But... if you must choose now, I'd be realistic and maybe try that doc thing, as long as your not ER or w/e then you get your own hours and alot of money, great for wakeboarding whenever and with whatever you want

in your quote... would I be a female hotdog?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-09-2004, 10:08 AM Reply   
I'm a Recreation Major, basically I'm studying commercial tourism and resort management. I am hoping to intern with The Wakeboard Camp but might be forced to stay closer to home. I would like to run an aquatic program for a major resort, not specifically wakeboarding but place emphasis on behind the boat sports. Honestly though, I will probably never do that. I work at a finacial planning firm & am working on my licenses so I can make bank, stay where I love & wakeboard as much as possible. They don't care what my major is, woo hoo!!
Old     (seahorse)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-09-2004, 2:58 PM Reply   
Turkish - Well, I guess I don't know ANYTHING since I own my own Board Shop and wakeboard school.... I guess I'm just a stupid girl with a BS in Environmental Science.