Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 25, 2006

Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       03-23-2006, 8:56 AM Reply   
I made a post a week or so ago regarding a delaminated 04 Obrien board. It was out of warranty...but an Obrien rep, Chris saw the post. He warrantied the board...I received an 06 Clutch! Truly remarkable customer service!

Something to consider when choosing a new board....the company backing the board!
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-23-2006, 10:24 AM Reply   
Props to O'Brien Co and Chris. I remember that post and wondered what happened. It sure didnt take long to get the problem fixed
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       03-23-2006, 10:26 AM Reply   
Cant get any better service then that. Props to Chris and Obrien!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-23-2006, 10:39 AM Reply   
looks like they changed their service because my experience with obrien was completely different. We had a board for about 2 weeks and the sides completely split. They demanded we ship it back(and pay for shipping) to them for them to run tests before we get a new one. we couldnt just take it back to the board shop and have them ship it and get a new one there. well after many phone calls we finally were able to just take to the board shop and get a new one.

(Message edited by tings00 on March 23, 2006)
Old     (cubanismo)      Join Date: Jan 2005       03-23-2006, 11:05 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear your experience was so bad Tingey. I snapped my Obrien while riding several years ago, and I had a new one in hand less than one month after shipping it back to the company. Because board shapes change every year, I think that consistently delivering quality customer service is what truly builds brand loyalty.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       03-23-2006, 11:07 AM Reply   
I dont know for shur but it sounds like Chris was the one behind the product he reps, but the bottom line is the board got replaced like it should have been.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-23-2006, 11:08 AM Reply   
i just dont think the customer should be required to ship back a board to the company to get a new one. we should be able to take it to the board shop and have it replaced and the board shop can send it back. we shouldnt have to wait a month to get a under warranty board back ecspecially if u have a short season
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-23-2006, 11:13 AM Reply   
Tingey - Did you buy the board from that shop?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-23-2006, 11:15 AM Reply   
Tingey, I'd have to wonder if the board shop isn't the one who makes that decision. I had a LF board break once and Performance Surf & Ski here in Orlando sent the board back for replacement and gave me free demos until the new one came in.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-23-2006, 11:33 AM Reply   
Tingey, Are you still riding an Obrien board? If so, maybe the experience was not as bad as you make it sound. Plus any manufacturer needs to check and see if it is their problem or the customer did something to make it happen. No manufacturer is going to hand out boards until they check it out.

I agree with John. That maybe it was the shop that should have jumped on the problem first. I cant speak for all retailers, but Perf. Surf & Ski has told me on EVERY purchase, board, bindings, or accessories, that if I have a problem with anything, bring it back to them.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-23-2006, 11:33 AM Reply   
we bought it from marine products in salt lake. we read the warranty info and said we had to do it through obrien, we called obrien and they demanded we ship it back in order to get a new one and they wouldnt pay for the shipping eventually we got them to let us just take back to the shop and get a new one, but the it was a pain to go that far. i love the board just not the customer service, but i'm glad nate had a good experience. I would probably not buy another obrien board just because of the experience i had
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-23-2006, 4:57 PM Reply   
i love obrien.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-23-2006, 8:01 PM Reply   
I've worked with the guys at O'brien, and it's a class act... everyone there loves their job, super tight-knit.

sometimes companies are reluctant to direct warranty work to retailers, because when you take a broken board back and they hand you a new one... they lose a board that could sell. If a customer walked in the next day asking for the board they just gave away, they might lose that sale to another retailer/online store. Having worked in a shop, I know how things go... sometimes damage is not covered under warranty, so the shop just gets left high-and-dry. Going straight to the manufacturer ensures

In that situation, O'Brien may have been trying to protect that shop... I'm sorry it led to a bad experience for you though!

The way I looked at it when I had to ship my '04 Transits back: I'm paying $25 for the newer model AND getting an extension on my warranty!
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-23-2006, 11:52 PM Reply   
O'Brien Rocks!!!

Just so you know, Chris isn't a rep. he is actually the head of R&D at O'Brien, so I am sure he had some interest in what happened to the board.

Those of you looking for a new ride,check out the Natural or the Vice, these are Chris' latest designs and they are sick!!

Later,
jjakober

(Message edited by jjakober on March 24, 2006)
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-24-2006, 6:39 AM Reply   
if your talking about Chris Johnson ,yes he is a stand up guy who fully backs his products...Ive always had great dealings with him and obrien..

this is coming from someone who is now riding cwb but if i had more access to their and time to find one of their boards that fully fit my style i would be on it it a minute because of chris and the Obrien reps.

Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-24-2006, 6:53 AM Reply   
Anodyne wrote "The way I looked at it when I had to ship my '04 Transits back: I'm paying $25 for the newer model AND getting an extension on my warranty!"

This is a great way to look at things. I would venture to say that we all know if a product is defective from the manufacturer. By saying this i mean that we know if the product actually failed or we may have caused the failure by abuse (intended or not) or other reasons.

This is a great reason to by from your Local shop. While they may not warranty the board on the spot they may loan you a rental board. If not... that is a good reason to buy another board.

(Message edited by biz on March 24, 2006)
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-24-2006, 7:32 AM Reply   
i looked at this way: i have the board 2 weeks, rode it twice, paid over 300 for it, now they want me to pay (25 for example) to ship a defective board back with no replacement for at least a month at the end of the season, That isnt customer service!!! Screw them
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-24-2006, 7:51 AM Reply   
I agree... that would be very disappointing. I would have totally been upset too! But look at it this way: they replaced your board. They don't have to warrantee wakeboards. They even could have chosen not to replace yours. That probably would have been worse customer service, and sucked worse for you.

this is just another argument why you should ALWAYS have a second board ready to go;). haha. This argument may be successful on frugal wives...
Old     (ride152)      Join Date: Nov 2005 Location: Maumee River - Ohio       03-24-2006, 8:07 AM Reply   
jjakober
Chris actually designed these boards? Thats awesome! I just checked his emails - says Director - sorry Chris! It's really cool that someone in his position would take the time to follow up with this. He was extremely responsive.

Tingy - sorry about your experience...but it seams that O'Brien did take care of you. It just took longer than you would have liked.

Anodyne....having a 2nd board is a FANTASTIC idea. Or have a Boat Board...one your buddies w/out decks ride so yours doesnt get trashed.

Old     (jhertz27)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-24-2006, 8:13 AM Reply   
I had a pair of 04 bindings from Obrien that were past warranty, One of dem tore down the side. I called and e-mailed pics and O'Brien shipped me new ones in 2 weeks. This was last summer. Obrien is quality!

Nate I should of kept the board for another season....I would have had a brand new 06 deck for free...damn you...haha it's cool I love my new Era.
Old    00smizz            03-24-2006, 9:58 AM Reply   
hey j when are going to get me a vice? Or should I try to actually ride the vahalla and stay off the slider.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-24-2006, 11:10 AM Reply   
Dont get me wrong, yes i am very happy they finally replaced my board and i love the board, it just upset me it took that long to get it worked out and basically had to argue and eventually speak with a vp or someone higher up then just the normal warranty people.
Old    feere2084            03-24-2006, 1:15 PM Reply   
HI,
I just picked up a vice from my local shop, surfparadise. the guy their gave me 100 bucks off.
Old     (bog)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-26-2006, 2:01 PM Reply   
tingey,

marine products could have taken care of the problem by swapping one out for you but those guys suck. You should be pissed at them not Obrien.