Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-21-2009, 5:51 PM Reply   
Finally got to check out an X2 today. I have been behind one on 2 other occasions but finally got to spend some "core" time in one.

I must say after all the reviews and trash talking here on the wake I was very very impressed. Especially since my first 2 demos didn't blow my mind. Partially because both demos occurred in water 6-8ft( thats river riding for ya) You hear a ton of smack about the wake compared to the X1 and X-Star. I own an X1(well original X-star) and love the wake so was very skeptical of the X2 after what I was reading. I run about 2400lbs in my X-star and have 4 solid inverts all the 1's nd working on some others and would consider myself an intermediate rider. Not bragging at all just giving some background.

With that said I was super super impressed with the wake. We ran the factory ballast as the dealership who provided the boat didn't want it sacked out beyond belief. It was pulling newbies for the first half of the morning.

However we put 8 adults in there to compensate and WOW! at 75ft and 24mph the wake had a nice solid, meaty wake with a hard lip. It was lacking in the transition compared to the X1, but is was peakier for sure and I didn't really think it affected my riding at all, just was noticeable. I really liked the feel though. A bit more of an abrupt kick at the lip then the X1

As far as handling went though the bigger guys and high level riders who charge full speed could be felt behind the wheel due to the lack of tacking fins. Wasn't a huge issue, but nonetheless noticeable. The X1 def won out it handling, but the space inside and the layout is ridiculous.

After almost a full day on it I was sold for sure as my crew is small and I need it in a garage. Usually just me the wife and kids. So I guess I just wanted to post this to say if anyone is considering this boat the wake is def great and up to par. Some pro level riders might prefer some longer tranny's but for me they were perfect, and I really liked the shape, the hardness, and the lip.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-21-2009, 6:03 PM Reply   
I love my X2. Shes getting the fly high kit for her 1st B-day :-).
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-22-2009, 5:52 AM Reply   
^^^^Nice
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-24-2009, 11:13 AM Reply   
I love my 07 X2 as well (formerly a Malibu diehard). I do not like the way it tracks thru the water compared to the other brands out there. I yank this boat around when I'm riding behind it. I usually ride at 80' 24.5 mph. Absolutely love the wake at 80'. I had to start shaving the right side of the rudder down tho because it has a neutral pull which makes the ass end very loose. I like most inboards to pull to the right a tiny bit so you can keep a very straight line. I also found that I had a hard time getting into a normal/standard height garage because of the way the tower folds down. I have to drop the tower slightly into the engine compartment, then turn the swivel racks at a 45 degree angle, then take one of the forks off each rack and it will go in nicely. My only issue is that I don't have tower speakers yet and would like to get them. However, if i get tower speakers on there, it might give me problems getting it back in the garage again since I won't be able to drop the tower inside the engine compartment (gives it another few inches).

Other than the things that bother me about this boat, it still compensates for how much room i have in this X2. I have more storage in this x2 than any other boat out there on the market that is a 20 foot or possible even 21 footers. The storage is AMAZING!!!!!!!
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-24-2009, 12:03 PM Reply   
Keith - I think it depends on what tower speakers you get. I know with wetsounds you can pretty much kiss fitting it in the garage goodbye. Happened to my good friend.He was putting his in the garage the exact same way you are but with the wetsounds it no longer fits.
Old     (gregg_rossi)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-24-2009, 3:08 PM Reply   
Keith when I fold the tower down I lay it on the sunpad and then as someone else backs it in I put all my weight on the tower and push the speakers into the cushion. it absorbs enough to sneak by... thats with 4 MC OEM tower speakers.
Old     (witness140)      Join Date: Dec 2008       09-27-2009, 6:36 PM Reply   
I put mine in my 7ft tall by 9 ft wide by 22.5ft deep garage for longer term storage. Single axle trailer. I fill it with gas and have someone sit on the platform. In addition, I push it in by hand with the front jack all the way up. I just clear the garage door by about 1/2". Also - I remove one spade/fork on each rack, rest the 4 stock tower speakers on a thin towel protected sheet of plywood on the sunpad, and I completely remove the clamp assemblies. Once the tower clears the door, I lower the jack so the windshield gets in nice and easy. I have a flat approach to the door as well.

And the entire time I do this - I keep repeating the brochure intro to myself....

"At a garage friendly 20 ft"

lmao
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-28-2009, 4:11 PM Reply   
Yikes Gregg, that's what i'm trying to avoid (pushing on the sunpad). That's why it's worth it to take one fork of per tower rack and angle the racks at 45 degrees. This way, I also don't have to have anyone around to put it back in the garage (ie: sitting on the back deck or pushing down on the tower to fit it in).

Single axle trailers don't help this situation either because they are usually 15" rims with bigger tires. Tandem axle are usually 14" with lower profile tires. Never had a problem with the malibu because I think they do a good job at Extreme trailers making a low profile package on the trailer.

DeeCee, yah, another reason why I went with the new Exile Audio Tower speakers for my MasterCraft. They now make a new clamp for our towers and you can quick release the tower speakers and not worry about hard mounting speakers.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-28-2009, 4:17 PM Reply   
Jerry, have you tried to flip your hitch so that it raise the front of the boat and lowers the back a few inches. Worked for me. Only problem is, My jack has to be at 100% max height to get it off the trailer ball (or on it).

nevermind, I just re-read that you jack it all the way up and manually push it back. How high is that jack all the way up? If you want, I will measure my hitch that I flipped and see how high it is off the ground.

(Message edited by hawaiianstiln on September 28, 2009)
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-28-2009, 4:22 PM Reply   
This is the reason I built my garage around my boat. The doors are 10' wide and 12' tall. I love it. I have never lowered the tower... I haven't even looked to find out how...
Old     (witness140)      Join Date: Dec 2008       09-28-2009, 7:33 PM Reply   
I don't know Keith, it's up there quite a bit when the new 09' Fulton is all the way up. Higher than I could get it with it mounted to the truck for sure.

I almost ordered the tandem just because it sits a smidge lower - but it also introduces some other issues. The tandem is 1" wider and harder to maneuver by hand. I have a tight 3 point turn to do in the driveway to turn it around. I also didn't want to mess with wheel dollies etc to move it around in the garage if need be.

Also didnt mention that once the boat is in the garage, I suspend the rear tower hoop with speakers and the 2 front tower legs from the ceiling, so they aren't resting on any of the upholstery.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-28-2009, 9:18 PM Reply   
yep, I do the same, but just made a rack out of wood. I agree with you about maneuvering a tandem.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-29-2009, 4:17 AM Reply   
I put eye bolts in the ceiling of our last home and hung the tower with straps. That allowed me to put the boat cover on in the garage.
Old     (gregg_rossi)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-29-2009, 9:51 AM Reply   
^^^^ I have the eye hook in the ceiling also. works great! Goes without saying but make sure to hit a stud though!

Keith I only push the speakers on the sunpad for maybe 30 seconds, and I put the speaker sox on so they don't dig into the cushion.

(Message edited by gregg_rossi on September 29, 2009)
Old     (gregg_rossi)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-29-2009, 9:59 AM Reply   
Here is a pic from the other night after I got off the water. off my phone so not the best, but you get the idea.

Upload
Old     (gregg_rossi)      Join Date: Feb 2009       09-29-2009, 10:06 AM Reply   
last post... I had some nobs made to make the boardrack finger's quick release. Check out this thread and here is a picture. I paid $100 total. Works great and looks OEM.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=27149&highlight=tower+height

Upload
Old     (witness140)      Join Date: Dec 2008       09-29-2009, 7:28 PM Reply   
Keith - I like that wooden support. My garage ceiling is only 8ft, so I don't think I can open the rear locker and do that effectively. Wish I could, because once my boat is in the garage - any access to the engine compartment or stbd/port compartments is impossible.
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-29-2009, 10:36 PM Reply   
man Gregg, you got me thinking about those nobs again! :-) I need to buy some from teamtalk or have them made.

Jerry, maybe you can make a mini version. Is your tower resting on the sundeck the entire time? You could just got get some scrap wood from lowes/home depot and put 2 boards to prop the tower up a foot above the sundeck somehow. Sucks, but hey...You have it in a garage! :-)
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-04-2009, 6:03 PM Reply   
I don't understand taking a fork out of the rack. I have an 02 xstar and can get it in my garage if I get an x2 without tower speakers do I still need to remove forks to get it n the garage.
Old     (witness140)      Join Date: Dec 2008       10-04-2009, 9:07 PM Reply   
Tampa, how wide and tall is your garage?

Problem with the picklefork garage friendly X2 is the fact that in order to fold down the rear portion of tower, the board racks have to be rotated at least on an angle. This causes protrusion beyond the width of the trailer. With a 9 wide by 7 tall garage opening, this is a problem. Hence the removal.
Old     (witness140)      Join Date: Dec 2008       10-04-2009, 9:09 PM Reply   
Look at the pics I posted on this page to see for yourself.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=27149&highlight=tower+height&page =5
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-05-2009, 7:51 AM Reply   
Jerry

I have a two car garage with an almost 7' high garage. So for me as long as when they are rotated they dont stick straight up past the window or the highest point I would be ok if they can be dropped that way. Also do you have any clue what the width of the single axle trailer is? I gotta be able to fit my wifes mini van in the garage still
Old     (witness140)      Join Date: Dec 2008       10-05-2009, 8:24 AM Reply   
Tampa- when you say "almost" are we talking 6' 11"? 6' 10"? Things get really tight around that 7' number. Less than that can be even tighter, and you saw the prep involved with mine going in with exactly 7', a full tank of gas, someone sitting on the platform, the jack all the way up, pushing by hand, etc. Also - do you have a double garage opening or is there a width dimension? This factors into the rack discussion.

You might have a little more breathing room with no speakers. Also - the single is about 1-2" higher than the tandem, but the tandem is 1-2" wider and harder to maneuver by hand if thats a factor for you.

Width from the outside of the trailer guides is 103-105." Varies from trailer to trailer. Guides are removable, so the widest fixed width numbers are 100" for the single and 101" for the tandem - fender to fender.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       10-05-2009, 9:01 AM Reply   
Jerry thanks for your help. I am right at 83" so actually an inch shorter than 7 ft. Its a double car garage and from your set up it looks like I would get a couple inches in height without the tower speakers. Also I am in Florida so drive way is as flat as hell!!! My older x star fits fairly easily just have to lower the nose all the way down. I have about an inch to spare. I am trying to decide to start doing some upgrades to the x star or pulling the trigger on an X2. Its gotta fit in the garage because mold in florida is ridiculous!!!
Old     (h2oproaccessories)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-05-2009, 9:05 AM Reply   
how far is your dealer away from you? You might be able to talk them in pulling it by your house if it's not very far away and see if it will fit. They might do that for a sale right now.... never hurts to ask.