Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 25, 2006

Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-20-2006, 11:58 AM Reply   
So I strained my ankle a month or so ago, and the stupid thing still hurts, looking to do some riding, but don't want to completely mess it up . . . I was thinking about gettin the 06 zeus' so I could throw on an ankle brace then just step in, but don't have the cash right now (stupid college poorness) but if anybody else has any Ideas for me, it would be greatly appreciated
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-20-2006, 12:06 PM Reply   
I have an idea, don't ride; or, if you must ride, just accept the fact that you're going to mess it up worse and deal with it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-20-2006, 12:10 PM Reply   
I rode with a messed up ankle for about a month. Duct tape wrap, lot's of soap! I kept it wake to wake and didn't do anything beyond a grabbed 180 for a while.

Bad idea....but if you must...

You could wreck the entire summer if you get ripped out of your boots.

Zues' will help.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-20-2006, 12:19 PM Reply   
Darin,

Wakeskating n Wakesurfing are less impact & a great alternative if you itchN to get back on the water... As the others said, be carefull - stay n your limits.

Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-20-2006, 12:43 PM Reply   
Ya dont ride you may mess it up and not be able to ride all summer and that would suck.
Old     (jmv)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-20-2006, 12:45 PM Reply   
I strained my ankle and tweaked my knee last December; I kept on riding and it kept on hurting. I took about a month off and it feels much better.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-20-2006, 1:10 PM Reply   
I completely understand where you're all coming from, but I think I made it sound worse that it is right now. It doesn't hurt alot, just a twinge every now and then, so i don't know, maybe I should just start back on my ice regiment and wait a little longer
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-20-2006, 1:46 PM Reply   
Get some pre-wrap and tape and learn how to tape it properly (or have someone do it for you) for whatever area of your ankle is strained.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-20-2006, 2:04 PM Reply   
Dont be a Pansy, get out there and ride. JK, only you know if you are injured, so you decide. It reminds me of my high school football coach "you can play hurt, but you cant play injured". I would wrap it if it hurts too much.
Old     (supersonicmi)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-20-2006, 2:10 PM Reply   
I rode part of last year with a bad ankle. My advice is to learn how to tape it properly like was said above...then use lots of soap when putting your board on. Your ankle should be fine after that, just beware of doing spins with a bad ankle, because of the twitsing motion if you dont make it all the way around, it can be a painful crash.
Old     (tonis)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-20-2006, 2:15 PM Reply   
Strained mine two weeks ago. Been on muscle stem, ice and strength exersises. Wakeskating next week. If you are taping your ankle make sure it is done right! A bad tape job will hender your ankle (support, blood flow, etc.)
Old     (ladyboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-20-2006, 2:16 PM Reply   
Welcome to my world! Several years ago, before I knew anything about decent bindings, I rode a pair of boots that were way too big for me. Naturally, I jacked my ankles up. I paid no attention to the pain and kept on trucking, now I have permanent damage to both ankles and have to be very careful about my bindings and how I ride. Don't end up like that.
The best advice I can give you is to let them heal! If you don't think your ankles are ready to start wakeboarding again, try out wakesurfing or wakeskating. I've been out riding about several times this season and all but on time I got in the boat limping, not fun. I just got a pair of Zeus bindings so hopefully I'll be ok for the rest of the year.
I have tried tape and it doesn't work too great... at least not for me. Ankle braces will probably be uncomfortable and won't fit in your binding very well, so it won't matter if they are helping. Do some rehab on your ankle with a thera-band or something. Do calf raises and roll your foot in circles.
It's not worth hurting all year to be hardcore and ride. I do it because I'm an idiot and I'm used to it... otherwise I'd never ride again!
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-20-2006, 3:35 PM Reply   
Commonly referred to as "football ankles". Last summer I began getting the familiar sprained ankle feeling in an ankle I had already sprained real bad at least once. From my understanding, once you sprain your ankle once, the ability to sprain it again becomes easier and easier after the second/third time etc. My buddy and I (both of us were is the same scenario) both rode on ours and just accepted the fact that the pain would be there. It all really depends on how hard to want to push it and how comfortable you are with it. I had to cut several sets short last year as a result from continually riding on it. But I chose to not stop since sprains take forever to heal anyways. Hopefully this summer will be a little better
Old     (ethomass)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-20-2006, 3:49 PM Reply   
I too had sprained my ankle. I kept riding, kept hurting. Now i have a big calcium buildup on one of my ligaments. Doc said it would be more trouble than its worth to remove it. So i wouldnt suggest riding untill its healed.
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-20-2006, 5:12 PM Reply   
I sould say tape it up and ride if the sprain/strain is not bad. Only you can judge what "bad" is. And kinda like what matt W said, I have "soccer ankles". I have been in a walking cast three seperate times (2 left, 1 right) from rolling my ankle and tearing ligaments, in addition i have used a brace and RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation) a few other less severe times. Give it time to heal and come back strong. And he is right about it being easier to sprain the second, third time and it will hit you when you least expect it. When you get older you will appreciate proper healing and then you get to look forward to your knees starting to give you problems (ha-ha).

If you are really concerned you could just give up wakeboarding... but i don't think that is going to happen.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-20-2006, 6:40 PM Reply   
Nope, not gonna give it up, may switch to the skate for awhile though. You're completely right about being easier and easier to sprain, both my ankles are in no way good at all, gotta love basketball/baseball (gopher holes in the outfield)/ football, and running hurdles in high school . . .
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-21-2006, 6:58 AM Reply   
I severely sprained my ankle 3 years ago trying a half cab roll. I switched to wakeskating for 3 months and then was good to go on the wakeboard again. But it's taken a couple of years to get back to 100%. The pain takes a long time to go away completely.

I'd say that if you reinjure it on a simple fall then give it a couple more months. IMO, if you need to tape it, use extra soap, etc... then it's too soon to be board'n on it. You don't want it screwed up for the rest of your life.
Old     (wakecrzy2000)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-25-2006, 8:45 AM Reply   
i broke my ankle last year and i would have to say the best thing to do is wakeskate if u have the need to be on the water otherwise just rest it