Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       10-15-2010, 6:09 PM Reply   
I bid on and won a high-end Ebonite bowling ball at a charity auction for spina bifida. However, I really don't bowl. So, I am having it drilled tomorrow for my hand. I don't throw a "hook" ball now but I guess the time has come to adopt the hook ball. Any one have any suggestions? I guess I need to pick-up some shoes so I don't need to wear the old stinky ones at the bowling alley.
Old     (csaidler)      Join Date: Aug 2010       10-15-2010, 6:27 PM Reply   
You need to find something consistent. Start at the same spot every time. Aim at the arrows. Same ones every time. When you walk up you want you hand to go by your side in the same position it would if your just hanging it by your side. Roll the ball don't throw the ball. Follow through should be straight at the arrows you aimed for and your hand should be extended like you trying to shake someones hand. That throw should give you your natural curve. Then adjust you starting spot and the arrows your aiming for so that natural curve hits the pocket. Either between pins one and two if your a lefty or one and three if your a righty. And from there you can make minor adjustments to your ball speed. The keys are consistency, control, and a good follow through. Good luck
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-15-2010, 6:30 PM Reply   
Your not really throwing a "hook" like many people think. I know some people actually turn their hand at release to give the ball revs, although I find it to be fairly inconsistant. Of course some do it better than others. The best way I can describe it is hold the ball like your going to shake hands with someone... or holding a suitcase. You'll eventually learn how much your ball will "hook" and you simply always aim for the same spot on the alley and if all goes as planned the ball "hooks" into the pocket. for example.. I always played 4 boards in from the gutter (basically the first arrow) and if I hit my mark right and got the ball out of my hand properly it was a guarnteed strike... So simple ;-) I bowled on a league for many years.. It was a intriguing sport.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       10-15-2010, 6:35 PM Reply   
ha ha... clayton beat me to the shaking hands approach.

Oh and to get a effective throw that will have a breaking action/hook towards the pocket... it is very important to feel the ball coming off your finger tips, the ball should always leave off the tips of your fingers... not thumb and fingers at the same time.
Old     (csaidler)      Join Date: Aug 2010       10-15-2010, 6:39 PM Reply   
What Bryce said too. I'm a righty. I start on the second set of dots with my toes over the second dot from the outside on the right. And I aim between the right outside and second arrows. My biggest problem is speed consistency. And if you try to make the ball spin you won't be consistent
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-16-2010, 7:16 PM Reply   
Start working on your beer belly - it helps balance against the weight of the ball. Smoking cigs will help your game, too.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-17-2010, 2:10 PM Reply   
Name:  erniemccracken_display_image.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  26.6 KB
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       10-18-2010, 11:18 AM Reply   
I've bowled for 10 years or so, and am still learning how to be more consistent. So dont give up if you get frustrated right away. All of the advice on here is good, especially making sure you roll the ball off your fingertips, do NOT twist your wrist or try to hook the ball. Often times doing less Is better. Let the ball do the work, don't overthrow. Not sure how your bowling alley owners work, but the one I bowl at is VERY customer-oriented. All I have to do is ask to work with a coach for a bit during their free time, and they're more than happy to help. Do this and you'll improve pretty quick. If nothing else it'll get your basics down. Plus this will keep you from picking up bad habits from learning completely on your own.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-18-2010, 2:04 PM Reply   
I am a average bowler who typically carries about a 170 average. I am big with iong arms and a little too much power. I have a a ton of hook on my ball and high balls speeds. I have been working to reduce both of these things, but it is not natural for me.

My recommendation is to get the ball drilled very neutral and than spend a few months with it. If you do not have a natural hook, than a hook ball will be nice, but may also not show any deficiencies in your stroke.

I have never taking a lesson, watched a video or read a book on the subject, but I have to believe that would help...just like wakeboarding.

Good like and roll 'em straight.
Old     (skull)      Join Date: May 2002       10-19-2010, 5:57 AM Reply   
I got it drilled pretty neutral I think. A couple people said it could have been drilled to give far more hook. I went bowling Sat and started to get it to hook a little at the end of the day. It will just take some practice I guess. I watched some youtube vids and I think the best analogy I found so far is to practice throwing a reverse spin while tossing a football up in the air. I was definitely using too much arm/elbow Sat to get the ball to hook.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       10-19-2010, 7:24 AM Reply   
Definitely right on with the tips here. Just practice and time. I've been bowling about 3 years now and am carrying a 190 average this season. Definitely don't try to flip with your wrist, you'll just end up hurting it. I did, lol. My natural release doesn't create a lot of revs so I had my ball drilled aggressively to create more hook with less revs. It's much better to be smooth and consistent then anything else in bowling, don't worry about if someone else is throwing harder or with more revs, just practice and play your game.

On another note.... I just bowled a 299 in my league last night. My best game ever, but also biggest let down. That damn 10 pin was weeblin, and wobblin, just wouldn't go down.