Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (jarabacoa)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-23-2008, 3:04 PM Reply   
WW: I'm confused on the spelling of "Valla Con Dios" on your tattoo. Isn't "Go With God" spelled "Vaya Con Dios?" Does is have to do with the double "l" at the end of Randall and Vandall?
RH: (Laughs) "Valla Con Dios" is a phrase I heard for the first time in Brazil when I was filming for NBT [Natural Born Thrillaz]. In Spanish, when there are two l's together like that it sounds like our Y. Valla literally means hurdle, but when used in that phrase it means go...I hope. If not I'm gonna have to bust out the Sharpie and make some corrections (laughs)!
Gotta love it! Sharpie...anyone?

(Message edited by jarabacoa on January 23, 2008)
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-23-2008, 3:06 PM Reply   
I thought they spoke portugese in Brazil?

where did you get this stuff from?
Old    alanp            01-23-2008, 3:13 PM Reply   
thomas they do but it sounds alot like spanish. ive interviewed alot of brazilians and i can only speak spanish.

bust out the sharpie
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-23-2008, 3:18 PM Reply   
damn it!
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       01-23-2008, 3:19 PM Reply   
thomas he's right i've done the same in italian to people who speak spanish many times before.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-23-2008, 3:21 PM Reply   
lol that's some funny $h|t
Old     (skeetersky13)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-23-2008, 3:42 PM Reply   
in brazil they do speak Portuguese, it is the offical language, but because the rest of south america speaks spanish, i am sure that they are bilingual...
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-24-2008, 12:56 PM Reply   
I've seen it spelt both ways. I think it depends on where you're from.

Double "L" is pronounced "Y" in spanish as well
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       01-24-2008, 1:01 PM Reply   
I thought vaya was only used in subjunctive... Wouldn't they use Ir instead?

Yo ojala que vaya con Dios. <--Thats subjunctive... I hope that I go with God.... someone correct me haha
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-24-2008, 1:43 PM Reply   
i'm sure you could find a dialect that would recognize the phrase as intended. For the rest of castillians, its kinda funny. I don't think many south americans will get a chance to interpret it.
Old     (ridngrl21)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-24-2008, 1:59 PM Reply   
It doesn't matter what language or culture it is ... its on his body .. it is what it is .... its looks cool and has meaning...it could be in chinese for all i care ... to him it means something...seriously people.
Old     (mitch35)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-24-2008, 2:09 PM Reply   
And again i agree.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-24-2008, 2:12 PM Reply   
I'm not worried about it either. not sure how that sounded my post above sounded.

Ashley, you're right. It has a meaning to him, whether or not we understand is our problem.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-24-2008, 4:39 PM Reply   
Here in my country Valla means billboard. Vaya is the correct spelling for go. But you will find it written with double l (which does sound like the y) but it's only because not everyone writes properly.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-24-2008, 5:49 PM Reply   
ashley I understand you ride a Gator board and Randall is one of your favorite rides but dang girl dont get so worked up the minute someone says something about him. Even Randall joked about it.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-24-2008, 7:35 PM Reply   
Maybe he just forgot the n & d and mixed the other a around Vandall--Valla (Vaya) Either way it is either "go with God" or "Vandall with God"...both would work for him
Old    walt            01-24-2008, 8:00 PM Reply   
I believe it says... Go with God, but it means God bless you.
Old     (ridngrl21)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-25-2008, 10:24 AM Reply   
Who sneezed ? j/k
Old     (proflex857)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-25-2008, 11:23 AM Reply   
Before you go off on this post as an indictment of Randy's character, read the whole thing and see the hopeful nature within:

No offense meant to any of Randy's cheerleading squad, but he's a rich, young, white wakeboarder punk from what's basically a private SoCal lake who has made an image for himself by not only riding insanely well, but also by appropriating a stereotypically stoic urban gang look. Most of his previous interview quotes consisted of one word answers, dripping with attitude.

In this case he appears to have quite innocently, yet still ignorantly, misspelled the phrase that he had tattooed on his chest. The tat in question was the first thing I noticed when I read his Wakeworld interview a few months back, and it's pretty clear from the interview that he still wasn't sure of the correct spelling. As far as translation, I'm not fluent in Spanish, but the google translator read it as "Fence with God."

Luckily for him, he's still relatively young and can still ride as well as anyone, with the signature W$R wrapped/tweaked style. Instead of being a washed up loser with a bunch of saggy tats, sitting around talking about how good he was "back in the day", he's got a fantastic second chance to earn a reputation and some more cash. His interviews these days are revealing a more thoughtful, introspective, positive personality. Let's hope he gets into a plastic surgeon and has that tattoo fixed to match his new, hopefully wiser image.
Old     (bhileman)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-25-2008, 11:36 AM Reply   
this is going to get interesting!
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-25-2008, 1:43 PM Reply   
since when have tatoo's been a "stereotypically stoic urban gang look?"

just wondering....
Old     (ridngrl21)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-25-2008, 2:15 PM Reply   
i feel sorry for you jerry i really do.
Old     (ridngrl21)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-25-2008, 2:16 PM Reply   
I feel sorry for you jerry I really do....what a confused individual you are..
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       01-25-2008, 2:21 PM Reply   
Ashley - why is Jerry confused? I thought his post was well written and thought provoking.
Old     (ridngrl21)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-25-2008, 2:32 PM Reply   
its a very confused post when you state someone in a white rich punk and then say they are a great rider.....

might as well leave out the racial Materialistic comments and call it even.

and (jerry) has only posted 3 posts and they have been so called low blows towards randall.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-25-2008, 2:41 PM Reply   
you keepin count?
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-25-2008, 2:43 PM Reply   
I dont know why this is turning into a "complicated" thread. It was all to point out how funny it is that he misspelled his tatoo!! (At least that's how I have perceived it) Spanish is my first language and it IS misspelled. But I think it's funny, either way it sounds the same, and even people here misspell it like that sometimes.
There are 3 definitions for Valla with a double l. One is a fence, the other a billboard, and the other is the obstacles runners jump in the track races.
It sounds exactly the same as Vaya that has only one meaning, which is to go.

The expression that literally translates into "Go with God", as WCW already stated, is used in a more "God Bless you" way.

I do find it funny that he misspelled it, and he seems to find it funny as well (as it says on the first post) stuff like that happens when you write in another language, especially if it's one with a grammar as complicated as Spanish.
Old     (ridngrl21)      Join Date: Sep 2007       01-25-2008, 2:54 PM Reply   
havent you seen girls or guys with the chinese letters and HALF of them mean something else than what it was really supposed to mean .... a girl could think it says beautiful and it really means UGLY or something... it happens everywhere....and no i dont have one.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-25-2008, 2:58 PM Reply   
^^ you're probably right, but what I'm saying this thread wasnt to say something bad about Randall or about his tatoos. It was just to say it's funny. I just brought in my Spanish knowledge to clear up how it should be written and exactly what it meant (in case anyone else wants to get that tattoo and doesnt want to misspell it)
Old     (raketball)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-25-2008, 2:58 PM Reply   
seriously....i think it's turning into a complicated thread.......because the president of Randall's fan club is posting on the topic...seriously people......geez...J/K...
Old     (proflex857)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-25-2008, 5:03 PM Reply   
Ashers - So far you're the only one labelling my posts as being "so called low blows." I just saw a picture of him that caught my eye and caused me to chuckle so I made a comment. If I could read and appreciate any form of Asian lettering and saw someone with a beautiful tattoo that said, say "alligator pimples" in Chinese, I'd probably be inclined to point out that it seemed wierd.

Also, you're right JR, I might not have been clear enough with the tattoo/gang connection. It's not just the tattoos that create the urban gang look, but Randall's been known to wear what might be called a "cholo/gangster" style, you know -baggy chinos, bandanas, dark sunglasses, button up shirt with only the top button buttoned. I know that taken separately, those clothing items could be associated with a multitude of styles, but it's pretty clear that that's the look he's adopted.

Being a rich punk and a great wakeboarder are not mutually exclusive, which means you can be both at the same time. Actually, it's much more likely that you'll be a great wakeboarder if you ARE a rich punk, as it's tough (not impossible) to get the needed time behind the boat if you don't have one or associate with someone who does.

IMHO, I don't think the number of posts you make matters as much as the validity contained therein.
Old     (fisha_sweet)      Join Date: Nov 2007       01-25-2008, 5:08 PM Reply   
I think yall needa worry about your own not someone elses. HIS ink... in HIS way.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-26-2008, 1:42 PM Reply   
come on guys how many posts do we need about randall in a span of four days??i think i see about 4-5 threads all on randall..

cool to talk about it but cant we keep it under one or two threads??
Old     (radikal)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-28-2008, 10:48 AM Reply   
Cris maybe by what you mean he misspelled it intentionally for all that meaning.

1st : Fence with the god : for all his past and the look he have and maybe all the error he made in his life

2nd : Billboard : For all the sucess he have in this sport and how he's famous in the industry

3rd : obstacles runners jump in the track races : i think a wakeboarder have to face that in every comp

4 : Go with GOd : means all !

So you can spell VaLLa and its like Vaya or Vala or simply like Valla but maybe he just wanted to created a multiple word meaning with this tats ? anyway it was just an idea i hope you will not try to bashed me on this one... even ashley

(Message edited by Radikal on January 28, 2008)
Old     (briand)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-24-2008, 4:23 PM Reply   
hey brett b, in case no one has answered your question, it might be in uds. command form.... or tu command.... like GO with god
Old     (protag)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-25-2008, 2:49 AM Reply   
Nice try, radikal! Props for being a great diplomat. But, it seems Randall made it pretty clear himself that it was not a deliberate misspelling.

And yeah, I, too, think it's funny if you are putting something permanent on your skin and (just for the fact that you want to make it look cooler in a foreign language) it turns out to have a different meaning than actually intended or even no meaning at all as in this case. There is a certain irony behind it.

As far as I know, something similar happened to Angelina Jolie with a Chinese tatoo and that's exactly as funny.

Fish, I definitely don't agree with you. The pros live of the fact that people talk about them. If no one would, they wouldn't be interesting to a sponsor. There are lots of amazing riders without a sponsor out there. It's not just the riding.

But, it is little things like that, which makes these guys seem real and not just the product of some marketing agency.

And Ashley, don't worry, no one attacked his riding. ;-)