Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (mainelaker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-31-2006, 1:37 PM Reply   
I am wondering how much ballast people are running in their hurricane/lightening? I know the factory doesn't believe in alot of ballast but people are running it. My boat has the factory center ballast & 250lbs on each side of the engine as well as the flyhigh integrated bow sack. There isn't much room for the sack in the bow so I don't know how much weight is in it loaded. The wake is worse with 4 people plus the center ballast, side sacks & front sack filled partialy. Hmmmm, maybe Les was right? Or maybe I need more weight in the rear?
Old     (nar722)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-31-2006, 2:36 PM Reply   
What you are running is acceptable and you don't really need a whole lot more. The wake gets worse with 4 people because you need more in the bow. You need 250 to 300 lbs. Don't know what speed you ride at but with that weigh you probably need to go at least 22mph. Also, try buying one of those 85lb sacs so you can even out the weight from side to side.
Old     (mainelaker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-31-2006, 3:34 PM Reply   
I was thinking more in the bow would help, I may need to run another small sack in the footwell of the bow even though I have the hidden bow sack, if there was more room between the floor & the seats I would be fine with the bow sack, fully maxed out is about 800lbs. I imagine the sack is only adding about 200 lbs or so because of the lack of room.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       07-31-2006, 4:11 PM Reply   
I think you need more in the back. I run 2 350's in the back and 600 total up front. It seems optimal for my 98 Centurion Elite-V.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-31-2006, 8:28 PM Reply   
I have an avalanche with 800 lbs in the rear lockers and 250 in the center tank plus some lead that we move side to side for wake balance. I tried moving weight up front and it didn't help the wake. I think you need more weight in the rear. Based on my experience the last 15 months the Centurion hull design doesn't need as much weight to get a good wake as most boats and it doesn't follow the front back ratio that most people recommend.
Old     (neffro)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-01-2006, 8:02 AM Reply   
I agree with mobv. I have a 2003 Avalance and I run 1000 lbs in the rear + the center tank full and the wake is big and clean. I tried to add weight to the front (just 300lb) just to see what would happen and it made it washed out at 22mph.
I guess if I added alot more to the rear it would be ok to add a little to the front but what Im running it great for me.
Old     (mainelaker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-01-2006, 12:20 PM Reply   
Interesting! It also may explain why Centurion only offers rear & center ballast.
Old     (nar722)      Join Date: Dec 2003       08-01-2006, 3:15 PM Reply   
Rich G is more on track. If you look at the ratio of front vs. back, he is close to what I run but with just more weight. An avalanche is a bigger boat so the weighting is different than an elite-v which sinks pretty easy. The less weigh up front, the more vert your wake will be and it will curl over if you are not going fast enough. Good luck
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-01-2006, 3:58 PM Reply   
2200 lbs outs the swim plaform 5 inches below the waterline, but I can't get her on plane with all that weight. I have the ballast on board for wakesurfing, when I'm wakesurfing the weight is about 1500 lbs, burries the rubrail and the CENTURION Lettering. I've been free riding as fast as 15 mph, and that's as fast as she'll go fully weighted for surfing:-)
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       08-01-2006, 7:29 PM Reply   
I had 2000lbs and 8 people in the boat on sunday probly 60% in the back 40% in the front. The boat was still planing out fine. Wake got nice at 80ft around 28mph any faster and boat would start to propuse. Wish i had a camera it was the best wake i've seen behind that boat.
Old    r3612            08-02-2006, 8:19 PM Reply   
I too would agree with what those have said stating you have to much in the nose. I have owned Centurions for some time now. Most recently a Hurricane and now a Cyclone C4. Not sure what year your lightning is but if it it is an 05 C4 or 06 disregard thie hurricane/lighning setup I'm giving and try to follow the Cyclone one. If its an earlier model than the hurrican setup would apply as they chainged their hull in 05 and 06 to be more like the Avy and Cyclone.

The Lightning/Hurricane setup I most frequently used and gave us the best results was the 3 tanks filled with abot 100 more on top of the v-drive tanks and only about 150-200 in the nose. If we had 4 peeps in the boat it all depended on the rider and speed on what we did with that extra 100 on each side of the tank. Usually those who liked to ride at 22.5 or higher we left em full and those who rode slower we let out some of the hard tanks. Was just easier to let them out than empty the bags.

On my Cylone however we just run the factory with 3-4 peole in the boat. Wake is clean all the way back to 80ft at 23.0mph This past weekend we had boat full of about 8 and just had 2 peeps in the bow and rode at 23.5-24 and wake was clean back to 80 again. In my experience with Centurions they don't follow the front to rear ratio as much as other boats. They tend to like a little more in the rear AND DON"T FOREGET TO PUT YOUR PLATE ALL THE WAY UP!.

I have 3 solid inverts and 2 more in the claiming stage just to give you an idea of riding ability