Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2006

Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-15-2006, 9:18 AM Reply   
I am looking at buying a 06' CWB Flame, except I can't decide between the 134, which I ride a 134 Substance now, or move up to a 141. What adavantages or negatives will I see moving up. I am 5' 7" 150 lbs. I rode a couple longer boards, both 141 and of course I felt more stable but am I compromising edging, pop, etc. Thanks for any advice.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-15-2006, 9:28 AM Reply   
Bigger board= Better stability, better pop, softer landings, less drag.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-15-2006, 9:29 AM Reply   
So then why should I even consider going with the 134. Evrything says go to the 141.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-15-2006, 9:35 AM Reply   
Do you feel better on the 134 then the bigger 141 boards you rode. Did the 141's you rode feel big to you? if not I would say go for the 141.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-15-2006, 9:42 AM Reply   
Thanks Jeff, I just felt more comfortable riding a 141, and I felt I could still control it and have fun so I think that is what i going to do, along with some faction bindings. Thanks for your help Jeff.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-15-2006, 9:47 AM Reply   
No problem Adam, you will enjoy your new setup. The Flame is a sick shape and the Factions are so cumfy and have some great heel hold.
Enjoy Adam.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-15-2006, 9:55 AM Reply   
Adam, IMO it is really more about how strong you are for your weight. A bigger board gives more pop and softer landings, but takes more stregnth to load up with and has greater swing weight. So, if you are strong enough I say move up and muscle the bigger board around, but if you arent, I would stay with the 134. It is better to be in control within your ability than it is to get more pop.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-15-2006, 10:07 AM Reply   
Adam what Jason says is very true. Did you get to go through all your tricks on a 141 and when you rode one and did it feel better is the question. If so then go up.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-15-2006, 11:24 AM Reply   
Adam, both Jason and Jeff gave excellent advise.
I just recently went from riding a 133 04 parks to a 06 142 Watson, and let me tell ya, the difference was amazing. Softer landing(which is nice on the not so young knees), handles the chop better, and is def. more predictable. I highly reccomend going bigger.
BTW I am 5'5" 145 lbs.
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-15-2006, 11:32 AM Reply   
just wondering, not to be a dick, but how does a bigger board give you better pop?
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       07-15-2006, 11:36 AM Reply   

quote:

but how does a bigger board give you better pop

More surface area contacting wake as you jump. More surface area = more pop.

-Steve
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-15-2006, 11:39 AM Reply   
hm, i guess that makes sense, i have always thought that less surface area meant less resistance which equaled more force, but now that i think about it, resistance is what gives you pop, so you would want more..hmm, but, as someone stated earlier, if you are not strong enough to give the bigger board more resistance, then you technically could get more pop from a smaller board, thanks steve, for answering that ? for me
Old     (mike_mclin)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-16-2006, 5:11 AM Reply   
I'm not a board designer, but I disagree that a bigger board gives you better pop. There are many different types of pops for different types of tricks. A bigger board isn't always more "poppier" (is that a word?) than smaller boards. A VERY good example of this are Front Flips. I can pop a Front Flip MUCH bigger and easier on a smaller board. There is a very notcieable difference. Also, people have listed the benefits of longer boards on here, but not much has been said that is positive about the smaller boards. Positives for a smaller board are less swing weight, and a more "alive" feeling. Smaller boards seem to have more energy in them (if that makes any sense at all). My advice would have been to get the 134 for your height/weight....BUT, you said you've already rode both boards and preferred the bigger board, so it is a no brainer...go with what you like.
Old     (awf_axis)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-16-2006, 7:57 AM Reply   
The thing I've found about bigger boards is that it seem's harder to dig in.. I have ridden the old Trip 138 (2000) changed to the 138 Trip ultra-core 2002 (my current board), and then tried my son-in-law's new Watson 142 this year. The thing seems so wide that when cutting into the wake, I can't keep the angle and it flattens out a bit on the pop.

The edges on my ultra-core are really share, and the watson is rounded. I felt more drag on the Watson too.

I'm probably so used to the trip that I'm ruined for life...

Dave
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-16-2006, 8:25 AM Reply   
im 5'8 165 and ive always liked bigger boards ...i ride a 141 abs platty..i used to ride a 03 141 premier dna three years..

before theat i was on 134/137 belmonts and murray fluid boards..Ive been on a 134 before and since ive tried all of them the 141s are best for me..
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-16-2006, 8:31 AM Reply   
my old knees prefer bigger boards for their softer landings.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-17-2006, 6:48 AM Reply   
Thanks guys for all the input, except Mike brought up some good points about the 134. I am still a newbie, so when I say I felt more comfortable on a 141, it was only because I was more stable. I don't have many tricks in my bag so I wonder if I should continue on with the 134 for my height and weight. The 134 does seem more "alive" as Mike said and maybe that has to do with my strength and being able to control the board. Thanks again guys. Peace.