Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (night_hawkps3)      Join Date: Feb 2014       04-26-2014, 7:37 PM Reply   
I have a alpine marine pdx 5 amp running 4 alpine speakers and the fifth channel on the amp is running the sub. i bought a pair rockford tower speakers ,how do i power them. can i add another amp, im kind of green on this subject so i need help .how do i hook up two amps to power two tower speakers.
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-27-2014, 7:56 AM Reply   
You should just get a four channel amp for your tower speakers. You wire it up just like your other amp but you will want to use a distribution block for your power cables. This essentially allows you to run one power cable to your batteries and then it Y's the power to both amps.

Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-27-2014, 8:31 AM Reply   
^This.

Get a dedicated amp for your tower speakers. You might also want to look into something like a WS420SQ/BT to be able to control the sound between the tower and the boat speakers.
Old     (night_hawkps3)      Join Date: Feb 2014       04-27-2014, 9:21 AM Reply   
good to go on the power. now the rca hook up i have rcas from the deck to the 5 channel alpine amp, fronts, rears and sub . no rcas left on amp or deck . do i have to get a signal to my new amp from my old one some how to run my tower speakers . here is a pic of the alpine amp and new rockford amp. can any one draw up a diagram for me thanks im just not sure how to get a signal to the new amp for the speakers.
Attached Images

Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       04-27-2014, 9:29 AM Reply   
Y RCA cables - the 420sq would be good though too.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-27-2014, 10:00 AM Reply   
Yes, if your 5 channel does not have an output to link up another amp via rca, you will have to use y cables.

Otherwise, an EQ like I mentioned will take care of that and give you more control.

Here's a pic of the inputs/outputs on the WS420SQ

Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-27-2014, 10:19 AM Reply   
You would run a short RCA from deck to the EQ and then run your RCAs from the EQ to the respective amp inputs. I would still do a Y-Cable here if the amps don't have an option to use one set of RCAs for both front and rear inputs so would have true boat to tower control and not have an oddball channel.
Basically
Deck - 2x RCA to EQ
EQ - 2x RCA to 2x splitters for 4x RCA for boat 5 channel amp input
EQ - 2x RCA 2x splitters for 4x RCA for tower 4 channel amp (not needed atm since you only have one pair unless running bridged)
EQ - 2x RCA to Sub 5 channel amp amp input
Here is also a quick sketch on how it would look
Attached Images

Old     (night_hawkps3)      Join Date: Feb 2014       04-27-2014, 11:29 AM Reply   
how would the y rca cables work without the eq do you have a diagram. the wetsounds eq is out of my budget right now . thanks to everyone thats taking the time to help a guy out.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-27-2014, 11:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by night_hawkps3 View Post
how would the y rca cables work without the eq do you have a diagram. the wetsounds eq is out of my budget right now . thanks to everyone thats taking the time to help a guy out.
That depends on how many RCA outputs your deck has. If it has 3 outputs, front, rear, sub, then you can do it just like the diagram lists, but just have it going from the back of the deck to the amps instead of from the eq to the amps. For an example, front to the tower speaker amp, rear to the boat speaker amp, sub to sub input.

That is shown here
Attached Images

Old     (night_hawkps3)      Join Date: Feb 2014       04-27-2014, 11:56 AM Reply   
thank you very much surf helped me out alot.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-27-2014, 11:59 AM Reply   
If for some reason your amp has a Front and a Rear/Sub output you have two options

First would be to still have sub control. This would mean you would have the rear channel just for the sub. Now with this you will no longer have the ability to switch between tower and boat speakers. You could set it up so the left channel on the front feeds the tower and the right channel feeds the in boat setup. This works, but some music might sound funny. You would also be splitting from 1 rca at each amp to 4 rcas at each amp.

Otherwise you could leave them both on the front channel and not be able to control the volume between the two, the levels would just be set at the amps and then they would move as one all the time with the volume control.

The second option would be to not have any control over the sub levels and just set it static on the amp.
This would have the front going to the tower and the rear going to the in boat and the sub.
You could still switch between tower and boat, but you would lose your sub if you went all tower.
Attached Images

Old     (night_hawkps3)      Join Date: Feb 2014       04-27-2014, 12:39 PM Reply   
my deck has 3 outputs front, rear and sub
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-27-2014, 12:48 PM Reply   
Oh perfect. That makes it easy. Sounds like from here, since you have power and RCAs figured out, now comes the fun part of running everything. Best of luck. If you need any help, feel free to ask.