Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-09-2009, 8:50 AM Reply   
So Monday, my 12 y.o. and I are in the truck, and he says,
"Dad, I'm thinkin' of a good weekend construction project"
"Yea, what are you thinkin'"
"Wakebike"
"What?"
"A wakebike, ya know a bike mounted to a wakeboard"
"Hmm, interesting. You mean like a trike, with a separate skid for steering?"
"That might work, but i was thinking of just mounting one of the old BMX bikes on an old board"
"OK, sounds cool. We have an old board in the shed."
.....a few minutes pass....and I say
"hey, rather than a bike where you're sitting more upright, how about a big wheel, it's plastic, lighter, better chance of floating, and slightly less of a chance that it will puncture your spleen on a crash."
"Yep, that's it we're mounting a big wheel to the board"

This morning there was an add in the local paper about a town wide garage sale, and my son says, dad, perfect, maybe we can find the big wheel!

Material collection in process, pics to follow....
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-09-2009, 8:58 AM Reply   
Funny you mention this because my 2.25 year old is obsessed with "ramps" after watching Nitro and X-Games. He was already jumping off things like bunk beds. Way to high for his age.

Rode with him on a tube for the first time last weekend and when he saw waves he yelled with joy - RAMPS.

My wife thinks I should stick with Elmo.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-09-2009, 9:59 AM Reply   
split the difference and have Elmo hit the ramps.

Keep it up. My two boys are 12 and 15. We built the first ramp when the oldest was about 5......and now they don't even need help thinking of really stupid things to do. My wife just shakes her head, but it's fun. I think our friends are starting to get scared of allowing their kids to come over.
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-09-2009, 10:39 AM Reply   
Yep, right there with you. We have a full on MX/SX track at the house. The boys are out with shovels building new ramps/jumps trails whatever all the time. God help me when they learn how to run the dozer on their own!.............Beats the heck out opf them sittin on their asses playing video games though............
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-09-2009, 10:49 AM Reply   
STEVE!!!

Way to Feed that addiction. My parents always fed my addiction to catch air and it Paid OFF!!!
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-09-2009, 11:04 AM Reply   
Yep, one is fully addicted to "air". The other one is a recreational user, but both spend very little time indoors with v-games.

Tracktor - one fine Sunday afternoon last summer my wife came home (with the boys) towing a bob cat. They talked her into a day rental. I never touched it. They put the generator in the back of the truck and drove it to the "jump area". At nightfall they sparked up the generator to power the work lights and ran the bob cat until 2am. We're now the proud owners of a very nice series of dirt jumps.....
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-09-2009, 11:22 AM Reply   
I did take may son into the garage to build a small ramp 12" ramp. He insisted it be brought into the house for the night and into his bedroom at nap-time. It now resides on our living room floor. He can watch Elmo while hitting the ramp.

The problem with age 2 is he has the ability to go way beyond his limit but not the knowledge or communication skills for us to temper the situation.