Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 12, 2006

Old     (mo_scrilla)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-03-2006, 8:44 PM Reply   
I am looking for info on camping at lake powell with my RV. Anyone know of a great place to shoreline camp with the RV and have the boat in the water, not too far from a marina. This is probably the wrong place to post this but...Thanks for any input.
Old    bocephus            07-03-2006, 9:22 PM Reply   
First, where are you planning on going? Bullfrong, Height, Page, etc, etc...
Old     (mo_scrilla)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-03-2006, 9:34 PM Reply   
Never been there. Just trying to figure it out. Where should we go?
Old     (grimlock)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-04-2006, 6:41 AM Reply   
If going to the northern part of the Lake, ie Hite, then there is a lot of good camping, just no marina. Bullfrog has some RV camping that you are able to come close down to the water up in the west end of Bullfrog Bay, there are dirt roads that allow you how to get there, and the booth people can also let you know. Also down in the main channel between Bullfrog and Halls Crossing there are a few places you can also RV camp, but good luck on finding good water to ride in, as it's the main channel for everyone going north and south on the lake. As for Wahweap, you have basically one real good RV camping area, Lone Rock beach, but not sure how far it is from the water, don't really go to the south end of the lake anymore, but I do know it was one of the better area's for RV camping. Hope that helps.
Old     (baldboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-04-2006, 6:59 AM Reply   
Russ has great information. If you are going to RV Camp, in the southern part of the lake, you will have to launch your boat each day or rent a slip. With the lake down 90 feet, you don't really have any other options except to pack up all you camping gear in your boat and camp on the shoreline. I have done this before and had a real good time. I have camped near floating Port-a-Potties which are located throughout the lake. They keep them extremely clean and maintained, much better than a campground. But if you want maximum comfort, rent a houseboat. I am making two trips this summer to Lake Powell. What a great vacation!
Old     (mo_scrilla)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-04-2006, 8:16 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info. I guess it looking more like the best option for hassle free camping is to rent a houseboat. So i guess my next question is where is the best place to rent a houseboat.Thanks again.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-04-2006, 9:39 AM Reply   
Lone rock
Link to picture:
http://www.wayneswords.com/cgi-bin/wwlprecreation.pl?read=7085
Old     (neffro)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-04-2006, 11:04 AM Reply   
If you are going to experiance Lake powell the only way is a houseboat. Anything else is just a tease and wast of vacation time IMO. There is soooo much to see on that HUGE Lake (2000+ Miles of shoreline) That if you shore camp you will only see 1/100 of the lake and you will be looking at the worst part of it with crowdes of people and tour boats. But if you houseboat it you will want to comeback every year and will be one of the best vacations you will ever take. There will be no crowdes and butter to Ride every day. www.lakepowell.com
Have fun and be safe!!!
Kevin
Old     (kslakebum)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-04-2006, 3:23 PM Reply   
The best place to shoreline camp is the Escalante arm, and up north near Hite. Iceburge Canyon is a nice one too. But the best place to find water is up north. I have been on the houseboats a few trips, but I personally like camping better. The only nice thing about the houseboats that there is AC. Wahweap is a joke, because everyone and their mother goes out from there. have fun and enjoy paying for the gas at the marina
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-07-2006, 9:21 PM Reply   
You can pull right up to the water at wahweap and camp there, plenty of places to anchor your boat or beach it. However, they are right, camping there just doesn't give you the full experience. Nice scenery but its incredible in other places. Also I think the north side is more impressive.