Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old    xtigeman            02-06-2003, 8:39 PM Reply   
Harold:

If it helps any, I have gotten by on a 135 amp alternator and I have 5 amps and around 3,840 watts. I use two yellow tops and have never had problems running down the batteries. I only get around an hour of playing time with the engine off at higher volume levels. So you can get by if you want. I am sure my performance is hampered by my alternator, but I really don't have to crank my system since I went with 300 watt per channel on my towers.

If you go Joe's route which is totally cool, you may have insurance issues and may need to install a hallon system and etc. He also has a protective plexi glass shield so there may also be some moisture issues. It is worth a shot to rewire al the way to the alternator with 0 quage and use 4 guage from distribution block or fuse block to amps. You may find that you can still get decent perforance without having to do drop a bunch a $$$ on an alternator system that is safe.
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-07-2003, 11:50 AM Reply   
Doug, where did you get a 135 amp alternator, all i can find our 90's for my vlx, i found batttery shack 150's but they will not fit without modifications
Old    hlboatsnboards            02-07-2003, 12:14 PM Reply   
Joe...I think I have been in your boat, but I don't remember a whole lot about the system. I do remember it sounding good though. Refresh my memory as to what all you have in it.

B
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-07-2003, 12:42 PM Reply   
Joe,
U da man today...

You beinging that thing to Jersey this summer?

KG
Old    jumbojoe            02-07-2003, 3:47 PM Reply   
harold
if i was you i'd look into the alternator that doug is talking about. i think that would be the best way to go if you don't like the golfcart batteries. yes, i have the 12's in the engine compartment. my boat has a little more room than a super air though. it's funny you thought of mounting a second alternator...i thought of the same thing, even went as far as to design one...but never built it. i have four 12's and eight other components in the boat and four q's on the tower. i have q's for the whole boat but probaly won't put them in until i move back to az.

kevin
if i could ride like you i wounldn't need a killer stereo to look cool....:-). your new box looks sweet! i'm bringing my boat here next month, and will have it at the shore this year. i can't wait.

bill
you've been partying to hard....or your mind was on something else when you were at boardstock. i'm not sure if you were even on my boat.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-07-2003, 5:37 PM Reply   
Joe,
My head just swelled some!!!

Your stayin another year??? Lookout Avalon!!!

The new box should be really cool, you will get to see it in a few short months too! I put my baby in the water in April, looking forward to it!

KG

Old     (wikd281)      Join Date: May 2002       02-07-2003, 6:23 PM Reply   
Doug Hanson (xtigeman)> thanks for the reply> what amps are you pushing in your setup and how many capacitors? Can you give me a run down of your equipment and where its located in the boat? Any pics? Are you happy with the setup> what would you change if you were to start all over again> cheaper amps I thought you said previously on another post> but Im not sure?
Thanks very much for your time

Jumbojoe> right on man> thanks for the reply> I am really liking the idea of a seperate alternator> that would be the best way to go I think> that way you would never have the thought of your only alternator shorting out> and being towed in because of your stereo> no thanks!
For your system> are you running the 6.5" compoenents? So> you have 16-6" mids and 16-tweets? Or is it 8? Which direction did you fire the subs to get them to sounds the best in the trunk? Forward> sideways and are the boxes ported or sealed?
Thanks for the info> I really apprecite it
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-07-2003, 9:39 PM Reply   
Uh oh, don't ask Doug about Caps! Thats more Psyclone's thing...

In a nut shell:
"Do the math, they don't work; Use bigger wire"
or "I tried them and they sound better"

Old    mobiusv            02-07-2003, 10:32 PM Reply   
Well my boat is getting new graphics so i cant install my system yet. heres what i got: 4 RF 6.5", 4 RF 6", 780 watt sony amp for the boat speakers, 1000 watt Cruch amp for tower speaker, and 1400 watt Crunch amp for subs. I have't bought the subs yet low on funds but i am going to get 2 Kicker Solo Braic 12" L5 dual 2 Ohm. heres a pic of all of it. I have fiberglassed the tower speakers but i dont have a pic yet i am still sanding so i can paint them.

speaker case
stero
Old    jumbojoe            02-08-2003, 1:47 PM Reply   
harold,

i have 6 pairs of speakers in the boat+the tower. that's 12 6" mids and 12 tweeds. i sealed my subboxes. they fire out towards the sides of the boat.

image/jpg
pc21400subbox.JPG (60.8 k)

image/jpg
pc4800subbox.JPG (41.3 k)
Old    hlboatsnboards            02-08-2003, 2:32 PM Reply   
Joe,

I stayed on the same freagin' houseboat that you camped on top of. I am sure you remember Natalie right!?!?!? We rode in your boat up to the actual boarding event that BS01. I think Brian (hope that is his name) was driving too.

Anywho....sounded great, just was wondering what you had in there.

B
Old     (wikd281)      Join Date: May 2002       02-08-2003, 6:53 PM Reply   
Awesome! Thanks very much for the pics! I am out of money now> but hopefully will be able to build a new boat this summer or next?
Old    jumbojoe            02-09-2003, 11:05 AM Reply   
bill,
when i had the boat at baordstock. it had the following stuff in it.

ppi amps:
pc4800
pc2600
pc21400

pioneer deck and diskchanger....sat radio

ppi equilizer.

4 jl audio 12's
8 mb quart nautic series co-ax (in the boat)
4 mb quart "Q's" on the tower.

i have since added another pc4800 to run half of the speakers in the boat, and have Q's for inside the boat too.

hello my name is joe boyle....and i'm an audiofile....:-)
Old     (rrbooker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-09-2003, 11:40 AM Reply   
here is part of my system. I have 12 6.5s and to 10s
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3005417580

Old     (rrbooker)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-09-2003, 11:43 AM Reply   
here is a pic from the 4th 2002
http://www.jasonjoslin.8m.com/00000003.jpg
Old    mtbmudmachine            02-09-2003, 12:39 PM Reply   
Jumbo, Nice! Here's my "New Set" It up will be done in 2 weeks. Im installing Now.

PPI-4125 to the Tower 2 sets of B-50's and one set of B-530's
PPI-5800 to the Hull 3 sets of MB-Quart's 6 1/2's
and One JL- 12 w-3
PPI-2500 to One 12 W-7
Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       02-10-2003, 12:35 PM Reply   
here's mine. Built the new boards
this weekend.

The subs are polk audio 10's (free)
all my other speakers are MB Q's
4 - 5.25
2 - 6.50
2 - 4.00

Old    hlboatsnboards            02-10-2003, 1:15 PM Reply   
Grant...

Why put all the high dollar equipment in and then use a w3??? Why not use two w7's?

B
Old     (phaeton)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-10-2003, 2:30 PM Reply   
Bill I had a W-3 in the Phat-Boy. The thing hit HARD! Maybe it was the box not sure but I was amazed.

Travis Farber
Wake Me Products
www.Wake-Me.com
Old    hlboatsnboards            02-10-2003, 2:50 PM Reply   
wanted to be 100th poster again!

actually, not sure if you ever saw it. but we did a install on a Pro-V last year that had two 15inch w3's. they freakin thumped, don't get me wrong. but the w6 and w7's just blow them WAY out of the water. I have more sound with one 10w7 then i ever did with 2 15w3's. SO i got greedy and put in two 10w7's.

B
Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-10-2003, 2:52 PM Reply   

.....Bill I also have a JL 15W3 in my Wakesetter, It gets the job done very well, also runnig two - (2) JL Micro 8" subs under drivers dash

Mike@wakeon.com - LSR
Old    tabiggs            03-06-2003, 12:10 PM Reply   
2 - 1000 JL mono Amps
5 - McIntosh 2X150
7 Dry cell batteries
3 pairs MB Quarts Q series
#2 JL Audio 13W7's
2 pairs image Dynamics horns and sats for custom tower
180 Amp Alternator.. NEED POWER...
Stereo1
Tower1
Tower4
gg
as
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-06-2003, 12:29 PM Reply   
damn, somebody win the lottery? how many lbs. of stuff was that?
Old    tabiggs            03-06-2003, 1:00 PM Reply   
about 700lbs we figured, Had to install a MP3 hard drive www.phatnoise.com because the new JL13W7' so HARD it wold make the CD changer skip :-(
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       03-06-2003, 3:14 PM Reply   
thats a crazy set up
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-06-2003, 4:43 PM Reply   
Tom, killer set up...actually unbelievable is more like it. I can't even imagine how much those JL's pound with that power running to it. You should look into a Sony MP70 or MP80 for a head unit. That deck will not skip at all. It has their new G Shock protection. I have seen demos of the unit and we could not get it to skip.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-06-2003, 7:29 PM Reply   
Tom, You related to Gary Biggs, the famed Car Audio guy that has won nearly every event he ever went to? Gary Biggs I believe lives in OK now, but is from your part of the country.

Nice choice on the horns in the tower! They have a snesitivity of what about 109db??? They will play loud, same with the ID Mid's.

KG
Old    tabiggs            03-06-2003, 7:34 PM Reply   
Kevin, sorry I am not related to a Gary Biggs, but yes the Image Dynamics 6.5 and horns are scary loud @ 109 DB, espcially running a MCintosh 150 to each pair :-)
Old     (badzuki)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-07-2003, 4:28 AM Reply   
My question is were do you get the high output alternator that fits your boat? Tom? My stock X-star alternator is like 51 Amps.
Old    tabiggs            03-07-2003, 6:26 AM Reply   
Badzuki - There is a place that only manufactrures high amp alternators for marine applications, Lifetime warrenty too...they bolt right up to the factory brackets. The Battery Shack
http://www.see-my-site.com/batteryshack/

They do all the Alternator for Miss Budwieser and all the other high end POWER boats.
Hope this helps
Old    hlboatsnboards            03-07-2003, 7:30 AM Reply   
Why did you need 7 batteries, that seems like a little bit of over kill. I looked into the 13w7, but between the price of those and the price of the big amps, decided not too. That should pound with all that power and speakers too. So did you end up stealthing the wiring? Bet she rocks.

B
Old    tabiggs            03-07-2003, 7:39 AM Reply   
Actually, we have 6 for the stereo, and 1 for the boat. Because of the power, especially the bass on the W7's we were forced to load up on Optima Marine Blue tops. The high amp alternator is great but you will burn up any alternator if you make a habit of idling your engine and cranking up your stereo for long periods of time. We needed enough power to tie up with other boats in a cove, shut down the engine and kick it for 3-4 hours. Our voltage meter would start out around 13 volts and end up around 10.9 in 3-4 hours depending on your bass loads.

Those batteries weight 50 pounds a piece, kinda sux on the weight thing but didnt know what else to do, I even looked into installing a mini generator but I was advised not too since the engine compartment is sensitive to other things that might cause a spark :-(
Old    bigd            03-07-2003, 7:52 AM Reply   
I read on here somewhere that a dude was using golf cart batteries to power his stereo. I don't know anything about them but I guess they're bigger than a regular car batt and pack a lot of charge. You might have to charge them with a special charger though - don't know...
Old    mtbmudmachine            03-07-2003, 7:55 AM Reply   
"look out" these are the 4 ppi amps that are going into my boat. 0ver 4000 watt's

1 JL 12 W7
2 JL 10 W6's
6 Mb Quarts in the Hull
8 Mb Quarts on the Tower
Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       03-07-2003, 11:43 AM Reply   
Grant,
Damn.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-07-2003, 7:15 PM Reply   
IMHO horns sound like crap through transistor amps, they bark and bite. When is someone going to have a decent marine tube audio power amp? I could marinize a pair of old Ampeg SVT's, TRUE 375 watts RMS into 4 ohms. Audiofool approved. Not this car stereo kid stuff. 675 VDC plate voltage. Built to last, too. They come with 8x10 cabs, more bass than 4x15". They drive horns well too. You would have giant transformers that weigh more than your ballast system. With all those 6146 output tubes, you wouldn't need a heater either. Grant, you could take the lead on this and become, .... The King.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-07-2003, 8:50 PM Reply   
Pys,

Lake front home owners are gonna hate you! WOW!
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-07-2003, 9:14 PM Reply   
Not me, my wife kicks my ass when I play things too loud for more than 30 sec or so. I'll leave that stuff to the big boys. I was merely offering suggestions to those that want to build THE BADDEST SYSTEM ON THE PLANET!!... if that's even possible.