Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (rooter)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-01-2009, 11:18 AM Reply   
So here is an interesting one. I have a 2004 MB B52 and my right ballast tank slowly takes in water even though the pump is off. It will take in water moving or just sitting in the slip. It will fill to top but never out the overflow unless I turn on the pump. The pump "appears" to be working fine because it will pump out (and back in) water no problem. The hose from the pump to the top of the tank in the right locker is sealed with no leaks.

I have the SCCPumps brand and the impeller appears to be fine (checked with the other two pumps).

Boat is in great shape with no damages (apparent anyway).

So how could my ballast be filling with water if the pump is not on? Any ideas?!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-01-2009, 11:21 AM Reply   
I think the only way is for the water to be forcing it's way past the pumps. I am not sure why it would start happening all of a sudden though.
Old     (gumtree)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-01-2009, 1:33 PM Reply   
I've seen it happen when they don't have a loop in the intake hose line, on any boat. The water will just run into the ballast because there's enough pressure caused by the displacement of the boat. So you could check to see if there is a loop, if not, you'll need to buy more hose and make a loop before it goes into the tank. If that's not the problem then you've got a lot of troubleshooting to figure it out. It's not too common that a hard tank like that will leak, so could be fittings? Hard to say.
Old     (longgonebon)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-02-2009, 5:07 PM Reply   
same thing happnening on my 07 B52... i'd just go out and notice the right side would have water in it.. i took to shop they changed the impellers but don't know if that is going to fix really. probably won't know until it is in the slip again next year.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-02-2009, 5:26 PM Reply   
I had the same problem but I have ballast puppies and changed from the hard black impellers to the Green ones. Found out they are not ridged enough and I take water. The yellow is supposed to be even softer so that would have been worse. I have a Centurion and know some MC owners have the same issue with the ballast puppy impellers. I'm going to replace the impellers this winter.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-02-2009, 5:41 PM Reply   
Had the same problem with ballast puppies only the tank was above the thru hull so it drained rather than filled on it's own.
Old     (longgonebon)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-02-2009, 9:46 PM Reply   
i think i have the yellows right now.
Old     (rooter)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-06-2009, 1:27 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the posts guys. I replaced the impeller on all three pumps this spring but only the right one is having this issue. I use the black impellers. Maybe it is just a bad impeller. I suppose switching it out with one of the others should determine if it is the impeller or not.