Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old     (chill720)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-20-2003, 10:05 AM Reply   
Anyone wakesurf behind a 2001 Xstar? if so whats your opinion on speed, and weight distribution??? thanks.
Old    wakelvr            08-20-2003, 11:07 AM Reply   
I have a 2003 x2 which I believe is similar if not the same. We try and place all the weight in the BACK of the boat on whichever side we are surfing. We leave the front hull ballast filled and the lead under the bow and sac in the bow filled where it is (which is equally distributed). One thing everyone told us in the beginning is that ALL the weight on the boat has to be on one side, and to empty the front weight. Well, for my boat, this is not true. The wake was crap when we emptied the front weight and it was PERFECT when we put the weight back in the front... BUT, you do need to place all the weight in the back of the boat to one side. The more weight the better:-)

Try it and see how it works out. Good luck!

Old     (chill720)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-20-2003, 11:21 AM Reply   
yea thats the same boat, thanks for the info. do you have any idea how much weight you are using? and also what speed ar you running?
Old    adkelley            08-20-2003, 11:29 AM Reply   
I have an 02 X star which is the same. I run all the factory ballasts full and two side sacks in the back left locker. I make a very slight turn and run at 10.5. Seems to work very well but I have only been behind one other boat so I really cannot compare. When I am lazy I just run the factory ballasts without the side sacks and turn a little more. Smaller wake but good riding none the less. Let me know what works for you
Old    wakelvr            08-20-2003, 1:27 PM Reply   
For wakeboarding:
1100 up front and up the hull
(400 stock and 700 in lead and sac)
another 150 in the cockpit spread out (lead)
Rear stock ballast (500) plus 130 and 130 in each rear
We don't use as much weight in the back anymore and like the wake much better now. It's still firm and steep for not having as much weight back there. Weight in the front and hull is key:-)

Wakesurfing:
Same as above except move all cockpit and back weight to one side or the other (so drain whichever stock ballast we don't need, and move the lead...) We also have a fat buddy (300 lb sac) to add to one side to make the wake even bigger for surfing.

The first few times we surfed the wake crumbled when we drained the front ballasts and sac. When we filled them back up, the wake was sweet.

We don't have to turn to make the wake nice (but I do want to try that:-) and we pull anywhere from 9.5-11 depending on the rider and conditions of the water.
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-20-2003, 3:07 PM Reply   
1999 X-Star (Same Hull AFAIK)

Wakesurfing:

10.5 - 11.0 (Depending upon rider)

550 Observer Side Rear
250 Driver Side Rear
550 Locker
70 Front Right
70 Front Left
Bow (Empty)

Wakeboarding

Same as above except fill the Driver Side rear and also fill the bow (Bow = 200 lbs)

I am getting away from placing ALL of the weight on the side for wakesufing. The wake seems more solid and it is definately way easier to drive with at least a little weight on the lighter side. Weighting the light side does not seem to decrease the wake height much if at all. Passengers tend to gravitate to the heavy side which seems plenty unbalanced for my driving tastes with the above setup.

(Message edited by big_poppa_pump on August 20, 2003)