Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (juice75)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-27-2005, 9:32 AM Reply   
I'm planning on putting a system in my boat this winter and need some help.

If I'm only running one sub, listen mostly to rock, and plan on having a sealed box, what size sub should I get? 10 or 12? I don't need something that will generate it's own wake, just something that will sound good. The rest of the boat will have 4 6.5s in the stock locations. Thanks.

Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-27-2005, 9:54 AM Reply   
If you are mainly listening to rock a 10 would be better. It will sound cleaner than a 12" for your type of music.
I have a 10 I installed under the drivers console. It sounds awesome, you can hear us coming a long ways off.

(Message edited by ridn9high on January 27, 2005)
Old     (juice75)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-27-2005, 9:59 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input! Now I just need to pick out an amp. Still trying to decide between running one 4 channel or a 2 channel and a mono for the sub. Hmmm...decisions, decisions.
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-27-2005, 11:45 AM Reply   
I am running 2 amps. I have a 4 channel running my 4 6.5's and a 2 channel runing my sub.

If you are running 1 amp go with the 4 channel.
Old     (juice75)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-27-2005, 12:19 PM Reply   
Cool. What amps do you have? I'm pretty knew to the audio world, so I have no idea what's good and what's not. I don't want to shell out a ton of cash, but I still want it to sound decent.
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-27-2005, 1:10 PM Reply   
I am running 2 kenwood amps. They are pretty good amps and the price won't dig to deep into your pockets.

I have both amps mounted under the passenger storage/console area. It was a pain in the butt to mount them, had to wedge myself in the tight area, but well worth it.
Old                02-10-2005, 6:51 AM Reply   
Mike, how many watts are your 2 kenwood's? I'm like Kraig, I'm going to put in a system and run one 10 sub and don't want to spend a fortune on amps so I'm just curious. I'm also going to run 2 bazooka tubbies on the tower in addition to the 4 stock 6.5s.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-27-2005, 10:42 AM Reply   
In a boat, with the high ambient noise level, you will need lots of power. You dont necessarily need high dollar power because the noise is so loud, just lots of it. Im running a 400 watt amp for the boat speakers, only 200 or it is actually running them. Ive got a 450 that runs the tower and 600 watts run the two 10's, soon to be somewhere around 1000-1300 driving 2 12's. Good luck with the tubbies. You realy need to listen to someones boat that is already set up AND SOUNDS GOOD. If you dont you will wind up spending more money in the future where all you would have had to do was spend just a little bit more the first time. My system is adequate but id like more, i know i dont need it but its the american way :-) Running all rockford amps, numbers are rms, infinity kappa boat speakers, modified west marine tower speakers, a sony es 10 along with an infinity (reference series i believe)10.
If there is anything i can recomend it would be to buy too much power rather then not enough since you can always turn the gains down a bit, trust me you will be running the stuff way harder then any car ever would. Ambient noise in a car is nothing compared to rolling along in a boat.