Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-30-2008, 1:21 PM Reply   
I'm thinking about to build skimboard as byproduct of my starting surf project and I am not sure what combination of materials should I use? Skim board is aprox 5/8" or 3/4" thick according to Exile.
I can get max 1,8lb density EPS foam which is probably too soft. So should I use something like divinicel on top and bottom or use only divincel foam which is expensive? How much glass? oR something different?

I plan to simply glue it together in something like garbage bag with help of home vacuum cleaner on half mold like Jeff, then sand the excess resin wrinkles on top.

Which rocker? I plan to use it both behind boat and for skimming at sea.
http://www.exileskimboards.com/html/products/hardgoods/rocker.htm
Probaly "hybrid" one

That it ... What you think?

Petr
Old     (bartj)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-31-2008, 1:48 PM Reply   
what about balsa? i've bought my 2x100x1000 mm sheet for some 32 kc [=$2] today.
aaand i've been experimenting with vacuum and a small membrane pump during the spring. the small su pump bends maple veneer like it's paper :-)
aaand i was also considering going to mechenice today/tomorrow/on saturday. i would like to stop by and we could think it up in case i meet you there. i just have no advice about the skim design...

-honza

Upload
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-01-2008, 2:20 AM Reply   
nice
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-01-2008, 1:02 PM Reply   
Yep balsa and some thin EPS in sandwich that's the way I will try
Old    surfdad            08-01-2008, 2:39 PM Reply   
Hey Petr,

I'm sure you remember my composite balsa sandwich build. I'm not sure that I would recommend a skim build with it. First, most skimmers want some mass associated with the board, when they go to do aerial rotations of the board, like during a big spin or a shuv, the mass helps the board rotate in place, otherwise there is a tendency for the board to go off to the side or some crazy place, while too heavy just makes those rotations like a 3 shuv almost impossible.

Also, most skimmers are pretty thin, as you noted - 3/4" to 1" inch is the usual range. The composite sandwhich gains it's strength component from the distance between the skins, you'll not really have any useable distance here. A lightweight 1 pound or less EPS, I would bet, will crush below the skins, if you try and thin that out such that WITH double 1/8" skin's combined with the EPS core net a total width of less than 1 inch. Plus, at that fairly thin amount, it's a bit of a challenge to bag a skin, the evacuation tends to seal off before your skin is fully bonded tight. You can bag like jan is showing with a fairly thick rocker bed and only vacuum forming the skin. Pay careful attention to how close the rail sides are to the table, that'll be inperative. That picture above looks like a skateboard deck. Those are something crazy like 9 ply and they aren't light. If you go above 2 pound EPS, you really don't need a skin, that's common surfboard density, so you're adding weight and complexity without gaining much.

Why not just bag some divinycell or corecell? Recently, 4 pound and lighter cores have been used - H-45 and Corecell comes in denisties from A300 thru A600 - 300 is 3# and 600 is 6# respectively.

Make your rockerbed or mold and then bag the straight sheet of high density foam to that. Balsa's density ranges from 6# to 12+ # so, very likely a solid layered balsa wood board would weigh more than a high density equivalent and also would not have the consistency from piece to piece as a HD foam - piecing together the balsa such that your board was balanced end to end and side to side would be quite the challenge.

I'd vote for corecell, A400, 3/4" thick, 1.5" nose rocker, no tail rocker or maybe minimal like 1/8". Simple build, consistent weight AND you can manage the weight going in, rathet than hunting for specific sticks of balsa. My two cents.

Upload
Old     (bartj)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-03-2008, 5:48 AM Reply   
balsa came to mind because i just have brought a few sheets home. and it was just an idea, really. now i see either divinycell or may be 3.5# herex as an option. mainly because i don't know where i'd be getting cellcore around here. i'm not sure about how difficult or expensive is to get that d-cell, but it's worth a try to call there or write and email and ask them. if you're going to do so, please let me know how it turned out, petr.
i got quite positive experience with the other company, the herex supplier. i've ordered some glass, epoxy, vac-bagging necessities and few advices from there and they've been very kind, fast and able to help.
and yes, the picture above is a mini skate deck (28"), 7 plies + some fairy clothes cloth (0.8 oz) between plies + glass on top :-)

(Message edited by bartj on August 03, 2008)