Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       07-25-2006, 8:27 AM Reply   
I need recommendations from all of you experts out there. Here's the info.....I have an 06 Malibu V-Ride with stock ballast tanks in the rear and the mid-ship ballast. I am 6ft 210 lbs. What do you suggest as far as a board? I would like something that is not too hard to learn on but will also be fun for a while. There will also be others of various sizes that will be surfing, guys and gals, but I am the heaviest. Also, will I be able to surf with out adding extra weight to my boat (other than people)? Thanks in advance!
Old     (bfa)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-25-2006, 9:14 AM Reply   
Tim, I can't comment on the board as I'm not your size but we have an '05 V-ride. So far with the one ballast (whatever side you are riding), center ballast, wedge and a few good size people you can have a great wake. I'm still trying to figure out how to post pics but once I get it I will post one of our best wakes yet. We put everyone in a row on one side. If we have extra people we might put someone up front. We just shuffle people around until we get it right. Oh yeah, we usually run at about 10.5 mph to 11mph depending on how many in the boat.
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       07-25-2006, 9:48 AM Reply   
Thanks Tanya! We are going to try it this weekend...have to figure out what type of board. I will probably just demo something from my dealer.
By the way....have been skiing in Whistler a couple of times! Love BC!!
Old     (jrodhyco)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-25-2006, 6:06 PM Reply   
I have a 2006 LSV. I am a bigger guy @ 225lbs. I have surfed the Landlock, Phase 5 and Blue Lake. the Blue Lake is my favorite.
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       07-25-2006, 7:24 PM Reply   
Appreciate the info John. I am going to try to demo something this weekend. Maybe I can find one of the ones you mentioned!
Old     (mibu)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-25-2006, 7:52 PM Reply   
SHRED STIXX. I am 220lbs 6'3".I have a 05 VLX. I have a 5-10 stixxtreame, I love it.Call jerry @ Shred Stixx he will hook you up. He is very nice and has been doing this for about 30 something years, he is the man.
Old     (jrodhyco)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-26-2006, 5:34 AM Reply   
Does Jerry allow demos? Also, I was able to surf the Blue Lake behind my LSV @ 12.5 mph.

Not too much surfin out here on the east coast.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-26-2006, 8:54 AM Reply   
I have a '96 VLX - basically the same boat. I think we've found the max surf wake it'll do. (Which is still smaller than my buddy's 99 Tigé 2300V :\)

You can definitely surf that hull with less weight than we run, but it sure is fun this way. Not recommended for inexperienced drivers, though.

I run 750's in the back (port full, starboard 1/2 full), a 750 along the side where the wraparound seat is on newer boats, ski locker sack full, and usually a few people or 300 or so in the walkthru if we have a small crew.

This is my friend who is about 5'-9". He's actually knocking down some of the crest doing a floater. I'm 6'-3", and it's up to my hip and the pocket is about 25' long.

big
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-26-2006, 8:56 AM Reply   
Oh, and it will still plane out this way with an Acme 537.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-26-2006, 9:00 AM Reply   
We're getting in a Shred Stixx demo board and two Inland Surfer demo boards for the Scioto Wakefest. You’re a bit far to make the trip up to the Wakefest, in Columbus Ohio, and demo the boards. I suspect that’s the only Stixx demo board that Jerry is sending around the country this year. Jerry has donated this demo board to our boat club, which we will raffle after the wakesurf board demos so it won’t be available for further demos.

I'm really looking forward to giving a Stixx board a ride at the Wakefest, Thanks Jerry.

I've been able to get up to 15 mph on some of my boards - I like speed riding.
Old     (sharkb8)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-26-2006, 9:35 AM Reply   
Another +1 Inland Surfer boards (I've got the Red Chubbie for wife and kids and also the Blue Lake). The Blue lake is a great versatile board for "bigger" people as well as those just starting out. The Hyperlite Landlock is a nice starting board, but you grow out of it very quickly.
YMMV.
Old     (mibu)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-26-2006, 6:15 PM Reply   
I believe if you give Jerry a call , and if he has a board available, maybe he will give you a demo.A true wakesurf board is alot different than a larger wakeboard that most companys sell as a wakesurf board.Just give it a try before you buy.
Old    surfdad            07-27-2006, 4:12 AM Reply   
Virtually all of the wakesurf board specific manufacturers offer demo rides, IF you are in their area, So if you live in Disco Bay or Lake Sam' WA you're golden. :-) Larry Mann of Trick Boardz offers pretty much the best deal. You buy the board and ride it, if you don't like it, send it back for a full refund. The only thing you are out is the cost of shipping, which makes demoing a Trick Boardz possible anywhere in the continental US cost effective.

As we've competed across the US, again, this summer it's glaringly apparent that the only boards available in shops outside of the west coast is some HL or CWB - folks had never seen or even HEARD of a Shred Stixx or Walker Project board.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-27-2006, 4:53 AM Reply   
There are darn few places that sell water sports equipment at all in the Midwest. I travel up to the NE corner of Indiana each summer. There are a bunch of glacial kettle lake there and a lot of water sports business. Some times when I'm up there I purchase gear at Ride the Wave in Angola Indiana. They have a good selection; I bought my Broadcast 5.6 and surf rope there as well as other water sports stuff. I didn’t stop in at Ride the Wave this year, I think they only carry the wakesurf boards offered by the big wake board companies the Jeff mentions.

In Columbus Sun fun Marine stopped carrying wakeboarding and skiing gear because the internet is difficult to compete with. The other local dealership Mid-Ohio Water Sports carries some gear. The other choices are West Marine and two other general sports shops. The selection at West Marine and the two other sports shops is basic and for beginners with no wake surf equipment at all.

Larry dose offer a great return deal on his boards, I like my Mojo. I rode the Mojo with out fins once and could barely control it, Larry set me up with some 1 inch fins, I tried them out last night, The board was lose with the stock fins, more lose with the 1 inch fins, but controllable – not like finless. I need more time with the 1 inch fins but I do like the feel they give the board, so did the other two riders.

It’s really cool that Jeff has arranged to get a Shred Stixx demo board and a couple of Inland surfer demo boards out to the Scioto Wakefest next month. Again I’m looking forward to riding the Stixx board, as well as the Inland Surfer Orange and Blue. That will be the first time that most people at the event will have ever seen these boards. Jeff also arranged to have The Walker Project, Inland Surfer, and Trick Boardz donate boards to the event, as well as the Shred Stixx demo board.