Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old     (king_of_wake123)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-12-2009, 7:47 AM Reply   
i just saw the corvette malibu and it is sweet but it is a manual tranny. how dose that work??
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       08-12-2009, 8:33 AM Reply   
It is not a manuel tranny! I have driven the corvette boat.Trust me theres just a throttle and they need to add an oh s#%t handel for when you drop the throttle.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-12-2009, 8:42 AM Reply   
Hehe, yea, and the clutch is on the floor.
Old     (king_of_wake123)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-12-2009, 8:54 AM Reply   
http://www.flickr.com/photos/malibuboats/2040905064/in/set-72157603225218888/ then what is this???
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-12-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
I think the forward and reverse is a rocker switch. Don't believe its manual transmission in the since you are thinking. Just the same tranny thats in all there boats with the addition of and actuator that doesn't require you to lift the throttle knob to switch between forward and reverse gear!
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-12-2009, 9:16 AM Reply   
I actually just got off the phone with Malibu asking just what the heck this is... Actually all it means is when you press the throttle lever forward the boat goes forward, when you press it back it goes in reverse. So you loose the ability to manually place your boat in nuetral and rev the engine? Personally I prefer the older throttle design where you have more control and options. All this does is elimante having to lift the knob to place it in gear. It is still a ONE SPEED tranny.
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       08-12-2009, 9:18 AM Reply   
shift by wire means it has no cable going from the throttle handle to the engine.

It's all done by electronic servo

no manual tranny. Just forward and reverse just like all other Malibu boats out there.
Old     (king_of_wake123)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-12-2009, 9:19 AM Reply   
o thanks i thought that that was wierd
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-12-2009, 9:30 AM Reply   
I think you still have to push a button to get it out of nuetral and put it in gear. The new throttle shifter has a round button on top that you push instead of a collar that you pull up. By the way Malibu's new DBW is crazy sensitive. You have to be careful if you haven't driven one of them before or you might be slamming it on shore, into a dock or another boat. There is no lag like in a standard cable operated throttle control. When you move it forward you are going forward. I actually don't like the new style either. I believe you have a lot more feel when using the actual cable style.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-12-2009, 11:22 AM Reply   
Brett I don't know how many mailbu's you have driven, but the DBW lags when you hit the gas. I came from a cable operated throttle to a malibu and it was definitely a learning curve. It's definitely sensitive once your going but from a stop a takes a second to react to the throttle.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-12-2009, 11:29 AM Reply   
Jason, I have driven 3 or 4 of the newer ones. What I was referring to is in a cable operated throttle there is usually a big area between nuetral(straight up) and once forward actually engages. That doesn't exist in the newer Malibu's I have driven. They very well may lag just a second.