Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-14-2005, 1:56 PM Reply   
I'm curious as to how many people out there use these news feeds either in a viewer or on a site like Yahoo? I'm pretty new to this stuff, so I'm learning as I go, but I just got a RSS/XML news feed set up for WakeWorld News at http://www.wakeworld.com/xml/rss.asp.

Check it out and let me know what you think. Thanks.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-14-2005, 8:12 PM Reply   
dave, I pulled up the link and it just lists a bunch of code. Something is not working correctly
Old     (twitch)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-14-2005, 8:46 PM Reply   
thats what im seing too
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-14-2005, 10:47 PM Reply   
That's what it's supposed to show. The page you see is not meant to be viewed directly. What you see is the code that RSS viewers use to list out WakeWorld News items the way the user wants to see them.

The best way for you to see what I'm talking about is to go to http://my.yahoo.com/ and sign in to your home page (assuming you have a Yahoo login). My Yahoo allows you to customize this page to show news feed from any website that supports RSS. To add the WakeWorld News feed, you simply click on 'Add Content,' tell it where to find it (http://www.wakeworld.com/xml/rss.asp) and it will show up on your front page.

Since I'm also a fan of Motley Crue, I can find a website out there that produces Motley Crue news and supports RSS. Then I can view the latest news stories from WakeWorld along with the latest news stories about Motley Crue all on the same page. You can also pick content from millions of other websites. Here is an image of what it looks like at the top of my My Yahoo page...

If that doesn't make any sense, read more about RSS here.
Old    penny4urthots            04-15-2005, 12:07 AM Reply   
Dave, 3 words bro... "Girls, Girls, Girls!!!" Tell us more about the use of the newsfeed I am interested in what it is/ does too.
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       04-15-2005, 1:25 AM Reply   
This is so unbelieveably above my head it's not even funny... Anyone else feel this way? In any case, great work Dave, keeping WakeWorld at the forefront of technology.

-Steve

/Just when I thought I was getting the hang of this whole 'internet' thing
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       04-15-2005, 6:46 AM Reply   
Mozilla has a good rss feed reader, in case anyone cares.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-15-2005, 10:48 AM Reply   
Wow, I knew this was nerdy and sort of cutting edge stuff, but I at least expected someone to chime in on it. Nobody uses these things?
Old     (craig_riddle)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-16-2005, 12:22 PM Reply   
that's awesome, good work Dave

ww
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-16-2005, 12:30 PM Reply   
Woohoo!! Somebody that knows what I'm talking about! :-)
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-16-2005, 11:19 PM Reply   
I added it to my Yahoo! homepage and it worked great. Pretty cool, thanks Dave.
Old     (cramey)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-17-2005, 9:29 AM Reply   
Dave, Am i allowed to syndicate your rss feeds? Or are you kind of limiting it to personal use... Also, you should get your programmer dudes to rss like the last 25 posts of something, that could be useful in all sorts of ways...
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-17-2005, 12:06 PM Reply   
It's open to anybody to use, so that would be great. I figure it can only help bring traffic to our site the more we get it out there. I just changed it so that now it lists the last 25 news items.
Old     (cramey)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-18-2005, 6:36 PM Reply   
D'oh, what i meant to say was to get someone to write one for your message board. Would be an easy way for people to link hot topics on their website...
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       04-18-2005, 7:01 PM Reply   
Yeah, I was thinking of giving that a crack myself when I get some spare time, but that doesn't happen very often. :-)