Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old    mgill76            07-17-2003, 4:00 PM Reply   
My 02 tige 20v seems to be falling apart?! Lets start the list. It has 60 hrs. Transmission just went out, taps is out, gel coat is cracking every where and paint is flaking off the tower. I think tige will fix it all, but i did not spend 40,000 on a boat so it can sit in the shop during the most important time of the year. You feel what im saying? My boat has a 1:1 transmission, and i was wondering if anyone knows if the syncrotec tranny will fit in its place. Instead of putting that same kind of tranny back in, I would like to put a reduction gear tranny in to help on the hole shot and stress om engine. They are gonna have the old one out anyway and it would be the perfice time to do the change. The boat always seemed to work to hard to get to speed. I guess my question is will the syncrotec fit in the place of the 1:1? And has anyone else had these problems or do i just have a lemon?
thank you, mike
Old    mgill76            07-17-2003, 5:11 PM Reply   
any ideas? please!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-17-2003, 6:02 PM Reply   
No need to change trans, just repitch the prop.
Old    mgill76            07-17-2003, 7:52 PM Reply   
i already did. it came with a three blade 12/13 and i put a 4 blade 11.05/13 and it only helped very little. i really think the tranny went out so fast b/c it is not ment to be in that boat. every other 20v has a reduction gear. but thanks for the input
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-17-2003, 11:45 PM Reply   
I have a 2002 Tige 20v and I don't think that I have a reduction gear - stock prop on mine is 13x13. I'm going to be changing it to a 13x11.5 though for better holeshot with the extra ballast I'm running.

My boat has just about 350 hours on it and no major problems. The TAPS gauge went out once (TAPS worked fine, but the gauge didn't register) and right now the gauge works some days and doesn't work others.

Sorry to hear about your problems, I hope your dealer and Tige take care of you.
Old    sandman            07-18-2003, 11:15 AM Reply   
Try an ACME 13x11.5 3-blade. Thats what I am running on my Tige V-drive with 1:1 tranny. Much better holeshot than what I was running previously.
Sorry to hear your pain. My 96 is running strong with no problems.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-18-2003, 11:40 AM Reply   
Someone refresh my memory: is the spec on a prop PITCH/Diameter or Diameter/Pitch?

If Michael went from a 3 blade 12"diameter x 13" pitch to a 4 blade 11.05" diameter at the same pitch, I would expect things to have just gotten worse.

If the pitch changed from 12" to 11.05" I would have expected the results to be much more noticable.
Old    mikep            07-18-2003, 11:46 AM Reply   
Hey, bumber about your boat. I've had two Tige's, both with the Synchrotech. I think you should be able to switch that out. Also, on my new boat I have a 13.25 x 16 prop. It gives me tons of low end torque. I can get my boat on plane very quickly with 2000+ pounds in it. You should check that out as well.

That sucks about the gel coat cracks. My first Tige' had 250 hours and my second has 60 now and I have never had that problem. You may have got a lemon. Hope you get taken care of.
Old    mgill76            07-20-2003, 9:41 PM Reply   
what boat do you have? with what trans? the prop is 13 dia by 11.50 pitch. it came with a 13/13.
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-21-2003, 6:09 AM Reply   
If I'm not mistaken, Air Nauty's have a gear reduced tranny. Maybe CC's website would have some info on that. I know that Tige's are heavier than most of the other boats, so I would think that a CC, Bu, or MC with similar horsepower and torque, and the same amount of ballast would get on plane quicker than a similarly equipped Tige. If I remember the specs right, I think that the 21V is almost a 1,000lbs heavier than my Bu. So, going with a gear reduced tranny may not be a bad idea.
Old    mthill77            07-22-2003, 10:02 AM Reply   
Velvet drive makes a gear reduction tranny that fits in exactly the same package as their direct drive unit. You might check into this at velvetdrive.com. I believe they're made by borg-warner these days.
Old    mmascari            07-22-2003, 10:33 AM Reply   
What kind of symptoms do you experience when the transmission is going out? Lately I have been having major cavitation problems when accelerating and beginning to think that maybe it is the transmission slipping and not actually cavitation.
Old    tommyadrian5            07-22-2003, 11:19 AM Reply   
I had transmission slipping problems under hard acceleration two weeks ago, check your transmission fluid level, mine has a very slow leak and it was very low, i filled it back and haven't had any problems. ZF Hurth tranny hooked up to a Indmar 5.7 TBI
Old    mmascari            07-22-2003, 12:45 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice....a couple of weeks ago I did notice some red fluid under the engine. Is this transmission fluid?
Old    tige_joe            07-25-2003, 9:27 PM Reply   
Mike....yes.....synchrotech will fit in place of original v-drive. I'm running a 4 blade Acme 13.5 x 16.5 on my 22V. Hole shot is much better than the original 13.5 x 17.5 Acme. Another way to tell the difference between the 1:1 and synchro is that the synchro is painted blue.