Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-27-2009, 4:28 PM Reply   
"I ride a board constructed 100% out of foam, so any injury from board to head contact is very slim."

What board is 100% foam and doesn't have fiberglass or resin????!!!! All of mine are compression molded and you can bounce a quarter sky high off of them!
Old     (shon_g)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-27-2009, 5:12 PM Reply   
I wear a helmet every time I ride, and look dam good doing it!
Old     (an_d)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-27-2009, 6:11 PM Reply   
I think you just gotta be more careful about what you do when you ride. Like you wouldnt go out snowboarding and land right on your head and hope your ok. but then again you're falling on snow and not water so that's a difference. but im just saying, like if you plan to huck, your probably gonna eat shi*. Just keep your body under control when you're in the air and you wont hurt your head as much. I'm not saying to be a pussy out there, I'm just saying don't haul ass into the wake and hope for the best.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-27-2009, 7:28 PM Reply   
"Keep holding your breath on that one ;D"

Believe me I'm not holding my breath on that one, my own kid refuses to even buy one. He borrowed Josh Twelker's at all the Protour events he rode this year.

If you think about it this is a numbers thing, total all the people skiing/snowboarding at any given time and look at the number of head injuries as a percentage, I'd bet it's more statistically likely you'll crack your noggin wakeboarding then skiing but because the overall total number of people participating is much lower one just doesn't hear about it as much.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-27-2009, 7:44 PM Reply   
for you guys with numerous concussions, you need to get treated w microcurrent.
www.frequencyspecific.com
my friend is 1 of 3 docs the NHL uses for 2nd opinion. he uses it on all athletes w concussions. he works on NFL to olympic athletes too
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-27-2009, 8:10 PM Reply   
Didn't they use that in "One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest"?
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-27-2009, 8:21 PM Reply   
Im definately going to start wearing a helmet when i start goin bigger. Better the helmet smacking the water than your head!
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-27-2009, 10:12 PM Reply   
scooter...if you got a concussion from a helmet then you are probably one of those people who wear it with the strap as loose as it will go and you are constantly pushing it back into place because it is so loose.

Nick....wear a helmet

PS I was getting hungry...thanks for opening the bag of worms

(Message edited by rnopr8 on July 27, 2009)
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-28-2009, 5:21 AM Reply   
microcurrent is used by lance armstrong and has been for many years. many NFL and NHL guys own their own machines....
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       07-28-2009, 9:08 AM Reply   
Andy (Elliott, not Nintzel): If everyone could magically control when they were and were not going to get hurt, we wouldn't need safety stuff ever, at all. I've hurt myself plenty while "not trying to go huge." Last concussion was on a standard TS3 that I took around halfway to five...that was fun! I also blew my eardrum out years ago after missing the handle on a HS3 and kinda throwing myself into the water. That really sucked because I wasn't even doing anything!!

EDIT: For clarification of which Andy

(Message edited by wakerider42 on July 28, 2009)
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-28-2009, 9:00 PM Reply   
I hate wearing a helmet. Not for the looks, but for the lack of freedom I feel when I wear one.

However, I still wear one. Definitely less bell ringing when I catch a back edge on spins, holds the head phones in place for the music being streamed from the boat, and no more ear enemas on a crash.

Simple test, ride with a helmet for a day and work on some new tricks. Does your head hurt less or not compared to when you last rode without a helmet? For me, a definite yes.

I can live with looking dorky behind the boat. I would rather not live with a loss of cognitive function from repetitive concussions.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-28-2009, 9:25 PM Reply   
I always ride with my pro tec w/ the ear guards. Fortunately I'm not worried if dudes like Luker are out on the lake laughing at me.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       07-28-2009, 10:47 PM Reply   
I wear a helmet every time I wakeboard. I am not a ripper by any means, but I blew my ear drum out 3 years ago. I was knocked out for a short while. All I remember was the boat was already circling behind me. I am a grown up so I really don't care if people make fun of me while am riding.
Old    supraguy            07-29-2009, 7:12 AM Reply   
Not sure if a helmet helps brain rattel but if it makes you feel safe I say wear one. I have been KO 3-4 time total and still go with out, but this year I will be trying a couple mobes so I might throw one on the frist few trys. I blew my ear drum on a crow and it hurt and was Ko for a sec. couldn'r belive I got one on that trick. LOL. So I took a 5 min break and went back out with out a helment and landed it (old trick for me ) and gave the wake a middle finger and called it a day..... RiddingDirty let me know what NASA gets for you I am in...