Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2006

Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-19-2006, 6:28 PM Reply   
Hey, so I am not a great rider, and don't do alot of tricks that stress my board or bindings, but today I took an easy fall and the bindings tore off of the board!!

BTW, my board is an O'Brien Vision with link bindings. Anyway, after getting back in the boat, it looks like the thumb screws tore off of the little aluminum clamps that hold the bindings to the board.

The screw studs were still in the board, they had not pulled from the board. And yes, the screws were tight on the board before I rode, I checked.

Has anyone had this happen to them? I know it is not a top of the line board and bindings, but they are brand new this year. Seems strange to me.

Thanks for any info on what to do. Sean
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-19-2006, 8:58 PM Reply   
You broke the head off of your thumb screws. This is a known issue and O'Brien is aware of it. Just call them at 1-800-662-7436 and talk to someone in customer service. They will send you out a new set of thumb screws. Let them know if you lost the clamps also, they should replace those also.

jjakober
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-19-2006, 9:04 PM Reply   
Nice reply, J :-)

I don't go anywhere without an extra set now.
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-19-2006, 9:10 PM Reply   
That happened to me once on a backroll attempt...but i hadn't checked my bindings in a while and they were just loose.
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-20-2006, 5:06 AM Reply   
Thanks JJakober, thats a huge help!! The thing I thought was very strange is that it was such an easy fall, and all 4 screws broke at the same time. Weird. Thanks anyway, I will call this morning, I assume they are west coast time, right?

Sean
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-20-2006, 6:47 AM Reply   
Sean,

Yes they are west coast.

I believe the problem was a manufacturing defect that has been corrected, so when you get your replacement stuff you should be good to go!

jjakober
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-20-2006, 6:58 AM Reply   
Thanks again JJ., I wish I didn't have to wait til they get here so I can ride though, the season is short enough here without losing any good weather days.

I guess my next question is, if I go down to my local board shop and bought a new, better binding, what would you recommend to upgrade?? I don't ride very hard, can W2W, ollie, and love to carve, but thats about it. I was kinda unhappy with the links, they never seemed to stay tight on my foot. What would be a good upgrade for my vision board so I don't have to wait for the new hardware before I ride.? Any thoughts?

Also, I have an old O'Brien Evil Twin board from years ago, can I put the links on that board when I get the new hardware so I can still use the bindings? I think the bindings on the Evil-Twin are old wrap type cheapos.

Thanks again!!! Sean
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-20-2006, 7:04 AM Reply   
Oh, also, I am about 225 lbs, if that matters. I don't think weight is that much of a factor but anyway, maybe.

Sean
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-20-2006, 7:19 AM Reply   
Here is what is left of the bindings, the rest is at the bottom of Squam Lake, lol. See how all 4 screws tore off?? Nice.

SeanUpload
Upload
Upload
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-20-2006, 7:21 AM Reply   
If you didn't loose the clamps then you could go to the hardware store and get some stainless steel screws and washers and use those until your replacement stuff shows up.

If you really want to upgrade then I would check out the O'Brien Xenon binding. They are really supportive and comfortable. They are also easy to get on and off.

Yes your Links will work fine on your Evil Twin.

jjakober
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-20-2006, 7:53 AM Reply   
Thanks again JJ, The clamps are gone so I am kinda screwed, lol, pun intended.

I am going to check out the new bindings today.

BTW, I just got off the phone with O'Brien customer service, the very nice girl said, "no problem, we will send a whole new set out to you today." No questions asked. Thats refreshing in this day of no customer service.

Sean
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-20-2006, 9:11 AM Reply   
I havn't seen that board before, but I LIKE it!!

Sean, I have a pair of Xenons and Argons, and I like the Argons a bit more. I think the Xenons have too many laces, and they are frustrating to put on in the water (the laces tangle and such). Just a heads up, but they are still WICKED bindings for riding and getting in/out is SUPER easy. As a matter of fact I took 4 friends out wakeboarding last night who had only been out behind fishing boats, and they all rode my setup (139 Natural with Large Xenons). One friend of mine is 6'2, 190 with size 13 feet. Another friend of mine is 5'6, 130 with size 8 feet. They BOTH got out of the water and said "This is the best setup ever. I love it."

I believe the fixed set of thumb screws have black heads. Or mine did, that they sent me. Look for that, just a heads up. And if you are going to the shop, check out both bindings. They both have their own good things.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-20-2006, 10:30 AM Reply   
Go to the boardshop and buy an extra set of screws and clamps, then go riding. When the replacements come in save them as extras.
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-20-2006, 10:52 AM Reply   
^Thats true. I have already gone through about 2 or 3 sets, until I got the black ones. It's always good to have backup.
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-20-2006, 12:05 PM Reply   
Hey, thanks for all the help. I ended up going out and trying on every friggin binding in the shop, and I am GLAD i did!! I ended up buying a binding that I had not considered, and the one or two I thought I would buy, I hated!! I think it has to do with my foot size/shape but whatever, some boots felt great, some killed my feet. I will never guy a binding without trying it on again!

I ended up buying some CWB Factions, very nice and supportive, but comfortable on my feet. Can't wait to try them out. I also told the guy about my link screws and he was like, "hey, we got an extra set lying around, you can have em" So I have a spare set for my links, and new, better bindings. That my friends is turning a frown upside down!!

Sean
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-20-2006, 12:07 PM Reply   
Sean, you will love your Factions, thats what I am riding right now and I cant say enough about them, GREAT BINDING ENJOY.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-20-2006, 12:43 PM Reply   
hey sean what do u think of the vision. I'm still sportin the 03 vision and love it. except for the spear points on the end, i was hoping they would get rid of those by now. i am going to be getting a obrien natural next month. but have enjoyed my vision for the last couple years
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-20-2006, 1:32 PM Reply   
The Vision is great, but I don't ride alot of other boards so my basis for comparison is limited. The spear points on the end ARE ABSURD! I have poked myself so many times, plus the inevitable, hole in vinyl. Besides that, I love it, can't wait to try it with the new boots.

Sean
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-20-2006, 1:37 PM Reply   
Tingey, if you like the Vision you will love the Natural. It's a REALLY fast board (due to the chevrons on nose and tail) and pops like no other. Good choice.
Old     (dcb)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-20-2006, 4:11 PM Reply   
Get the natural, it is a great board. But stay away from the obrien bindings unless you like to send them back for warranty work. I,ve been through two pairs of radons and two pairs of argons and two sets of hardware. I do like the bindings just wish they wouldn't break.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-20-2006, 4:28 PM Reply   
I want to try a Natural. I keep hearing great things.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-20-2006, 5:07 PM Reply   
The Natural kicks butt. It is such a great riding board, fast, great pop and lands soft. Not to discourage any of you from buying this years Natural, but the 07 Natural LOOKS really sick. I know looks don't have anything to do with the ride, but when you take a board that rides as well as the Natural and then make it look sick as s!@#$, then all I can say is look out!

About the O'Brien bindings. I have been riding the 06 Argons since last summer and haven't had any issues with them.. Some people have had problems with the thumb screws and O'Brien is aware of this and has corrected the issue. My thumb screws are the original ones and they are holding up fine.

jjakober
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-20-2006, 6:37 PM Reply   
J, where did you see the 07 Natural? I'm very interested.

And it is safe to say that O'Brien has the same ammount of binding problems, if that, as any other company. I once knew I guy who had two pairs of Parks bindings and while one was being sent back on warranty, he rode the other set. Does that mean don't buy Hyperlite bindings?

I went through about three or four pairs of Argons last year, I admit it, but this years they have fixed 95% of the problems I had last year and they are the best yet. No more velcrow, no more zipper, no more thin stretch material. I have been riding more than ever lately, and still on the same pair of Argons.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-21-2006, 7:41 AM Reply   
Aden,

If I told you that, I would have to kill you!!

Keep your eyes out for pics from the upcoming tour stop. I think you might get a glimps of it then.

Later,
jjakober
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-21-2006, 8:41 AM Reply   
Those of you still on the fence about the Natural, here is another Natural thread:

http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=60151

Later,
jjakober
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-22-2006, 11:54 AM Reply   
FYI Update, I just got the new hardware from O'Brien today, the screws have black heads like you guys said.

Also, I went out this morning (raining, but what the hell) and tried out my faction boots, and let me tell you......

Holy sh*t do I love them!!!! They are so much more comfortable than anything I have tried before, I am so glad I spent the time to try on all the boots at the shop instead of just ordering that I thought I wanted. I would recommend them to anyone who wants to upgrade.

I would say that I am a beginner to maybe intermediate rider, and I didn't know if the better boot would be noticeable or not, boy was I wrong! Not only are they way more comfortable, but just having so much better feel for the board made me feel like I had control over the board that I never felt before. I only tried a few W2W jumps, and I could notice a big difference in when I land and case the wake, very nice.

So anyway, to all you beginner/Intermediate riders like me, upgrade to a better boot, if you can afford it, you will be glad you did!!

Sean