Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2007

Old     (davidhep23)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-29-2007, 7:54 PM Reply   
I tried a backroll for the first time today. After watching the video, I am rotating too slow. The nose of my board went into the water before just before I could get around. Any tips on rotating faster?
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-29-2007, 8:11 PM Reply   
Keep the handle in closer to your body; don't let it out.
Old     (gimp990)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-29-2007, 8:16 PM Reply   
Make sure your not throwing it to early. Feel your pop before you throw it. Are you getting good height?
Old     (davidhep23)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-29-2007, 8:23 PM Reply   
I'm not exactly skying, but plenty of air to be able to throw it. it just looked like my rotation was in slow motion. I will try to get it posted on youtube tomorrow.
Old    murrayair            03-29-2007, 9:18 PM Reply   
I would disagree with gimp about waiting to pop before you throw it. Your rotaion should start right as you are leaving the wake. Let the wake pop you as well as initiate your rotation, you shouldn't have to really throw your body around to begin the rotation. As the wake is initiating your rotation, it will pop you if you are standing tall. Also, like Roddyrod said, keep the handle in close and hold on with both hands.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-29-2007, 10:08 PM Reply   
Do what Roddyrod said, keep the handle in really close to your lead hip!
Old     (trippin132)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-29-2007, 10:25 PM Reply   
yeah basic rule, handle close to your body: rotate fast
handle away from your body: rotation slows/stops
Old     (davidhep23)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-30-2007, 4:43 AM Reply   
Thanks for the help.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-30-2007, 6:30 AM Reply   
Ok,

Some are saying hold the handle to your lead hip, others say hold the handle to you back hip???
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-30-2007, 6:38 AM Reply   
Another pointer if your rotation is slow, put more weight on your front foot. In addition, continue your progressive cut all the way up the wake. I actually try to point the board away from the boat as I'm going up the wake.
Old     (gimp990)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-30-2007, 6:46 AM Reply   
hey mark what you said is what i was meaning. If you fell your pop then you no you know you are not throwing it to early.
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-30-2007, 7:09 AM Reply   
When you get inverted let go with your lead hand and bring it to TS
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-30-2007, 7:40 AM Reply   
I can't do one but I remember in Waketrix on one of the inverts they said bringing your knees in to your body would help your rotation.
Old     (shavis)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-30-2007, 8:07 AM Reply   
kenneth: they say that about the TS backroll
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-30-2007, 8:11 AM Reply   
If you bring the handle to your back hip it'll take you into a roll to revert.
Old    murrayair            03-30-2007, 11:37 AM Reply   
Gimp- Oh, ok. My bad.
Old     (premierwake136)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-30-2007, 11:59 AM Reply   
for me to rotate faster i just edge more away from the boat
yes it is more likely to bring your backfoot around for a roll to revert but if you just give a little tug on the handle to your front hip youll do just fine
good luck wit it
Old     (saroberts70)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-01-2007, 7:53 AM Reply   
Let go with the rear hand that will speed the rotation.
Old     (craigystyle_05)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-01-2007, 8:00 AM Reply   
i always kinda look over my rear shoulder and it helps me spin it faster... sometimes almost too fast...
Old     (davidhep23)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-02-2007, 4:53 AM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIOsvkCvrs4
Thanks for all the help so far. I finally got it uploaded. This might help a little more.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-02-2007, 9:23 AM Reply   
Cut out, wait a minute, then start in slower and build a much harder edge at the wake! 'Progressive cut is what we're after'! Finally, like everyone has said, hold that handle in close to your lead hip. Good luck!
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-02-2007, 9:38 AM Reply   
David, if I stop the video right as you are entering the trough of the wake, you have already started rocking forward. This means you have no line tension and you are basically hucking the trick. This is a load-and-release trick, which I will explain later. Once you take off your hands are above your head so you have no axis-of-rotation.

This is my mindset when doing the trick. Cut-out, not too wide, your distance is ok right now. Wait for the boat to start pulling you in. Don't bend but stay fairly straight and keep your body stiff. Just drift into the wake, this is important, don't cut! It will feel weird like you don't have enough speed to clear the wake, but it works, trust me. Once you start to enter the trough of the wake, then cut really hard, this will load the line and when you take off will whip you around.

So enter the trough, cut really hard, right when you feel the pop look over your left shoulder and keep the handle at hip level and in close. The handle will probably drift on you, not a big deal, but if you think hip level and in close, it will make a big difference.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old     (gimp990)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-02-2007, 9:42 AM Reply   
man that looked prety good. along with handle placement try get a little more pop by pushing your legs harder. you are very close.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-02-2007, 9:58 AM Reply   
Alright, from that video this is what I can tell you. There are a few things you are doing wrong.

First, you are not edging progressively. What you want to do is drift in, slowly building your edge. As you come up the wake you want to have your hardest edge. You edged good and then flattened off, trying to throw the trick around. If you edge properly the trick will complete itself.

Second, you need to stand tall. You were so squatted over its ridiculous. Stand up and get your self in a strong position so when you release off the wake you are in position to harness the pop you have generated.

Third, you threw your head down. Thus you went down. What you need to do is incorporate the above recommendations and as you leave the wake think "UP", lead with your chin and look up and over your left shoulder. Your body follows your head and if you take it up your body shall follow.

Good luck.

Edit: I can't spell too gooder.

(Message edited by stephan on April 02, 2007)
Old     (hawaiianstiln)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-02-2007, 12:04 PM Reply   
These are all great replies.. Just to add my 2cents: I cut out about 1/3rd out, let the boat pull me back in slowly, then edge away from the boat right at the last minute.

*A slow progressive edge into the wake
*Edge away from the boat as you ride up the wake, while looking "up and back" (Like Big Heavy said)
*Keep the rope low and close to your lead hip to speed up Rotation thru the trick
*Let the handle out (just a little) if you are taking the trick big to slow your rotation down a little
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-02-2007, 12:21 PM Reply   
the way i do them is different from what everyone tells me and it turns into more of a mexican roll but i like it and feels a lot more confortable.

I cut out and right come back in . i dont wait for the line to get SUPER taught (SP?) and i pop with my legs and spin it around that way. the whole load and release thing doesnt feel right to me. doesnt feel like im incontrol of it. i like the pop and throw way.... hahahahaha yes i know im wierd

HOPE YOU STICK IT!! feels so good rolling down the water and throwing your first invert infront of people ( ya showing off feels good)GOOD LUCK!

(Message edited by D.R._inc on April 02, 2007)
Old     (wakepaula)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-02-2007, 4:29 PM Reply   
There is a nice intructional video here on Wakeworld.
- Heelside Back Roll with Mike Mclin - Video.

It basically says the same thing everyone else has said.
Good Luck. You'll get it if you keep on trying them. Everytime I think I'm gonna try one,I don't. So you're well ahead of the game :-)
Old     (craigystyle_05)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-02-2007, 6:18 PM Reply   
i think u should put the handle closer in... and i'd edge harder... but i edge balls to the wall on everything