Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-01-2008, 9:12 PM Reply   
Anyone done it?? I've often thought it would be fun to take a wakeboard boat out in the ocean or bay for a fun cruise ( not wakeboarding of course). I'm aware of the salt water effects on boats, but aside from that , how do you think a wakeboard boat would handle it. Obviously you'd want to pick a calm day. I had lunch earlier this year in Monterrey on the pier and the water was just so calm , It looked like it would have been fun to take a cruise around the bay there. Or how about a run out to Catalina?? Or out to the cove at Pac Bell park? I don't know, it just seems like on the right day it would be a fun thing to do. Followed by a big clean up!
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-01-2008, 9:57 PM Reply   
it will sink, sorry to burst your bubble but you would barry the bow into a swell and by by. your boat would be thrashed, i fish qiute offten being from santa cruz and there is a reason a boat for the ocean has the shape and features it does. but go ahead and give it a shot. j/k please dont.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-01-2008, 10:20 PM Reply   
Done it many times in Long Beach Marine Stadium & Puget Sound. It's a whole different experience...... and it tastes funky.
Old     (canadasuperair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-01-2008, 11:24 PM Reply   
nothing bads gunna happen hose it off flush the engine. you WONT sink unless you ve never driven a boat. my boats never been in a lake
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-01-2008, 11:27 PM Reply   
Having spent a lot of time in the ocean, I will second Bryan's assessment. Nice calm days change very quickly, the ocean is a whole lot more unforgiving. Get good insurance, a solid life raft, a quality waterproof radio and give her a shot.
Old     (canadasuperair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-01-2008, 11:42 PM Reply   
how much time is a lot of time in the ocean? i ve been boating since i was a baby with family and freinds. the ocean isnt some monster that claims boats. get a little rubbermaid put some flares and a VHF radio in it you ll be fine!
Old    walt            10-02-2008, 6:39 AM Reply   
Rod,
You can do it if you pick your days right. You should have a VHF radio,compass,GPS,a good anchor etc. You should also know the area.

You can get in trouble on a flat day too if you don't know the area or what you doing. (Tamales bay comes to mind) I guy I knew was killed there a few years ago on the bar. Actually a few friends have had life threatening situations out of Bodega.

Keep in mind that SF and San Pablo bay can get big really quick. Most of it is fairly shallow so when the wind and tide are going one way things can be great but when the tide changes directions the water gets big fast. Lots of mud flats to get stuck in too.

Overall I'd advise against it if you don't know the area or what your doing.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-02-2008, 7:48 AM Reply   
lol, wow, let me get you the # for vessel assit first your gonna need. i only spend every day in the ocean and know what im talking about. your nuts rod, you take that wakecraft out there your going to trash it. but hey i only live here and know the pacific coast like the back of my hand. good luck man.

no offence, this is a no brainer and should be case closed. you want to go in the bay buy a wailer or a graddy white, or a proline, striper, radon craft, arima, etc, yah like i said i fish weekly. and i surf daily.

seriously im not affraid to consider myself an ocean expert. i live here and i touch my toes in the ocean everyday, my entire life. dont do it.

and im just telling you not too do it based on the boat. not all the other reason you should not. that list is even longer so........

(Message edited by westsiderippa on October 02, 2008)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-02-2008, 7:49 AM Reply   
I would think SF bay would be fine on a calm day, not for riding, its damn cold, but just a cruise...
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-02-2008, 8:06 AM Reply   
EPIRB
Old     (jimr)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-02-2008, 9:17 AM Reply   
Catalina - you would have to be nuts! Stick to the bays. If you want to go to Catalina catch a ride on one of these!

Upload
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-02-2008, 9:50 AM Reply   
Last time we went to catalina (in a big fishing boat), it was perfect conditions in the morning and in two hours the wind picked up and there were huge swells. I lived by the beach for a long time and have been to catalina and around the island a bunch of times... there is no way I would ever take a wake boat out there.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-02-2008, 12:28 PM Reply   
the California coastline is littered with SHIPwrecks..Its open ocean for thousands of miles off California, some of the biggest waves in the world are at Mavericks, the ocean off Californias coast is a monster that claims boats all the time...real big boats made to handle what the ocean throws at you. could you get away with it on a calm day? maybe...but why? why risk you and your crews lives, your boat...why risk it? the fog can come in in minutes and you can't see anything...enjoy the rivers and lakes. If you want to taste salt water go out at Doolittle park on the Oakland estuary, its protected somewhat but I've seen three foot swells there too.
Old     (val_cal)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-02-2008, 4:20 PM Reply   
I have went out to the bay by Pac Bell park. I went down to the Fairy Building and it started to get rough but it wasn't a calm day.We hung out in McCovey Cove for the game. I launched behind the park in Sf. but there was no place to hose off the boat. I went to Hayward washed the boat inside and out @ my Dads house. It was alot of work but it was fun. Now that Bonds is gone no balls got hit out.
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-02-2008, 5:15 PM Reply   
Inside the bays is fine. Going out in the open ocean can be fine, but you have to prepare. The Coast Guard recommendaions all of a sudden really matter. The weather can be great, but if you break down 1 mile off the coast you better have a way of getting help.

Many people fish in Boston Whalers and other small boats in pretty big seas, out in the ocean, but those boats have high bows. Many wakeboard boats have very low open bows which wouldn't do well in the ocean.

I have been in a 18 ft closed bow IO Sea Swirl in 12 ft seas with no problem.

Watch out when you are headed back in with the swell, you can bury the nose and submarine your boat if you are not careful.