Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (wakesurfer08)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-25-2008, 6:39 AM Reply   
We are looking at buying a new 08 Moomba LSV with the three bag ballast,moomba cruise,etc...We just would like to know how the boat's wake is for both wakeboarding and surfing,and the overall boat itself. This would be a family boat, young children to fairly good riders, no pro's by any means! Thanks for your input.
Old     (ttduncan)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-25-2008, 9:05 AM Reply   
we bought our 08 moomba lsv in april. we now have 92 hours on it. we have 4 kids, 13-4 no pros, but we can load the stock ballast and get fantastic air (for me i'm no pro w2w 180's only) have had a good rider with me, he was hitting 3's, back roll, etc.

surf wave is good. i usually have my 13yr drive, and then everyone else on the other side. free ride great. many people are upping the 400# to 750# in the rear locker. visit the moomba board, lots of friendly people there will help you out, take you for a ride if you are local

attached a pic of 11yr surfing, we had ballast +700# in peeps.

Upload
Old     (zirb3l)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-25-2008, 12:21 PM Reply   
ttduncan, WHAT LAKE ARE YOU ON?!?!

that water looks AMAZING, the lake i ride turned my bindings yellow
Old    pdxWAKE.com            09-25-2008, 12:28 PM Reply   
wow that water is amazing..... I have friends with the 07 LSV and the 08 LSV and nothing but good things on that boat!
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-25-2008, 1:32 PM Reply   
Boat is rock solid and the wake is great for surfing and boaring. With their wakeplate you can really tweak it to your liking. With the room and space and wake that boat is for a sure a best bang for the buck top 3 IMO

Boat is very deep inside. I have 2 little ones so that is a great feeling. Tons of storage. The drop keel hull handles rough water nicely. If you ask me it drives a little bigger than it is meaning it's not that nimble compared to other 21ft'rs, but maybe I am spoiled always driving my 20ft 8inch MC.
The LSV is a proven wake machine and Skiers choice has steeped up in the past 3yrs tremendously. Wouldn't hesitate on a boat from them in a second

(Message edited by xstarrider on September 25, 2008)
Old     (ttduncan)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-25-2008, 2:09 PM Reply   
zirb, the lake is Bear Lake, it is a natural lake that is in northen utah, southern idaho. very clear beautiful water. can see 20+ feet deep.

frank, if you are looking at the moomba and you are a family guy, get it! great quality, great value, outstanding performance, great family. if you get over to denver, let me know we can go for a ride.

this morning ride with daughter, stock ballast and me, need more weight. or more people. wake if fine when the family in inthe boat, i can free ride no prob.
Upload
Old     (dtown)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-25-2008, 2:41 PM Reply   
Looks like you woke up early for the Cheery Creek Glass.. haha
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       09-25-2008, 6:14 PM Reply   
We love ours. We've put 80 hrs on it so far.
Great wake board wake and a very nice surf wake.
I switched out the 450 sacks in the back and put in the enzo sacs. I probably get 1200 lbs in the rear corner and its awesome. The 750's work well too.
There is a ton of storage, handles chop very well, rated for 13, the 08's have better carpet and vinyl then the earlier models.
Its a solid boat, we really like ours.
On a side note, if you can afford it, get the Z-5 bimini cover. Well worth the money!!
Good luck and post up some pics of the boat if you get a chance.
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-25-2008, 8:59 PM Reply   
I've got an 07 LSV and love it. The wake is killer when it's loaded down. Go test drive the boat and you will love it. I couldn't agree more with Newty, the Z5 bimini was the selling point for me on the boat. I'll never own a normal bimini again.
Old     (wakesurfer08)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-25-2008, 10:09 PM Reply   
I thank all of you for your honest opinion on this. We are having a semi hard time on this due to we also are looking at a couple of 05 X2's. But I don't know if we can beat the deal on this new 08 LSV. We were offered it for well under 40,000.00 not including a trade in yet, I know your going to say we better take this deal. Right? We sure do like the all white look! Here are a couple of pictures of the boat we are very serious on getting. And once again thanks for the help.
Upload
Upload
Old     (mikeytommy)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-25-2008, 11:20 PM Reply   
we put about 1800lbs in the back corner to get the best wave, and its pretty darn good.
Upload
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-26-2008, 7:55 AM Reply   
I am partial to all white boats......LOVE THEM. They always stay classy That is one sick looking LSV

WEll I own a 2000 X-Star which would be the same hull as that 05 X-2. I was in the same situation not too long ago. Same boats essentially. New LSV(when the first revamped the hull in 07), New Supra 21V or Used X-star/X2/ X1. I went with the X-Star due to the deal I got on mine and the crew size I ride with. I really wanted a newer year model i f I was going used, but when you get a deal on a clean well maintained boat somethings are negotiable :-)

X2 VS LSV IMO
Pros
That original hull on the Xstar/X2/Current X1 is still arguably one of the best out there. You can tweak it for sure with how you set it up. The thing is meaty and has a great kick to it. The X-Star is also built with a little more attention to detail with stuff being triple stiched and stainless screws everywhere along with backing plates in some places the Moomba would not. Also the X2 drives like a Ferrari. Very very very nimble even when loaded up. Also the trailer ability is going to be a little easier on the X-Star due to its size...........and well its an MC

Cons
The X2 has no where near the room of the LSV. It is a tight boat especially after 6 peeps. The X2 doesn't handle the rough water very well at all you get the &*() slammed out of you on a busy weekend. Price cost for parts. Mc is absolutely ridiculous on the markup of their prices. All their parts have a sepecific MC numbers so in order to get the aftermarket numbers it takes some research. Also that wakeplate and new hull on the LSV make that boat great. Helps it do a variety of things. Worth every penny.

All in all for me it was a tough decision. I don't ride with that big of a crew. 6 people is the most usually. Regularly its just my wife, my 2 little ones and myself so the X-Star/X2/X1 suits us just fine. If I had a more regular crew of say 4-6 adults I would have def gone LSV or if I was looking for a boat to cruise the lakes, hang out and have people on I would go LSV. For us like I said we rarely have more than 4 adults and we usually are in the wtaer to ride. Never really cruise the lake or anything like that.
Old     (wakesurfer08)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-26-2008, 11:12 AM Reply   
I can totally relate to that. Its usually just our two kids,wife and I on good practice times for them. But the problem is that when the good riders come to work with the children now we have eight or so people on board and things get tight for pictures,video,people moving around and etc. So I really don't know what to do. I do think the price in right on it though.
Old     (kylenautique)      Join Date: May 2008       09-26-2008, 12:04 PM Reply   
How is the wake for wakeboarding? I ride my buddies sacked out 2007 23ft XLV alot. Anyone have any photos of the wake?
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-26-2008, 12:46 PM Reply   
The wake is meaty and has a great kick to it. You can also tone that down with the adjustment of the wakeplate. You can take that kick out of it and make it more mello for beginner riders. I ride 80ft on my MC and have to take that in 5 on the LSV. The LSV's wake is solid. It doesn't have as long as a tranny but the pop, hardness, and kick is there.

Personally if you have that kind of crew and that kind of gear to me LSV all the way. It gets tight from time to time with 4 adults and my 2 kids and as time goes on you are just going to get more people oon the boat as they will want to bring friends. I can't say how good of a deal your getting without the options it has, But that price seems decent if it has the necessities. Again that is just how I woudl go. Take this from a guy who went used instead of another new boat after 4 new boats. IT was harder for to take something that I didn't get to baby that had some dings, but all in all If I could go new I would in a heartbeat. I wouldn't hesitate for a second on a Skier Choice boat these days. Whether Supra or Moomba. The only reall thing that stands out to me is that their towers sway when loade up a bit more than other mfg's/ But I have seen some other towers sway just as much.

Just for a little background I would classify myself as a solid intermediate rider. Have 4 solid inverts(tantrum, backroll, TS backroll, scarecrow) working on 1 more to get everytime i throw it(switch roll to revert) along with 2 360's.

(Message edited by xstarrider on September 26, 2008)
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-26-2008, 2:23 PM Reply   
Here's a wake pic behind my LSV. Rider is 6'1" riding @ 70ft and 21MPH. I was running 1000lbs of ballast in the bow, had 10 people in the boat and 2 standard size ice chest loaded in the rear comparments. Wake plate was about 3/4 up. The best thing was I had 10 good friends on the boat and it wasn't even crowded. A few of them even mentioned that.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v168/pickle311/IMG_0490.jpg[/IMG]

(Message edited by pickle311 on September 26, 2008)
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-26-2008, 2:29 PM Reply   
Here's a surfing pic, 900lbs in the rear corner, 400 lb center sac full, and another 600 in the bow. 4 people in the boat, 10.5mph, and wake plate all the way up.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v168/pickle311/IMG_0422.jpg[/IMG]

Take the Moomba over the MC. It's a bigger boat that will be more comfortable for the family. The Moomba thows a great wake though I can't compare it to an X1. I have ridden behind a sacked out 07 X2 and was not impressed by any means. If you ask me MC is way over rated but that's just my opinion.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-26-2008, 3:20 PM Reply   
This is going to start a can of worms, but the X2(the new pickle fork) wake is probably the worst out of the MC line of wakeboats. Very finiky and very hard to have dialed. Great concept with a boat that size, but I think MC rushed the production on it and well since they sell like hotcakes MC figures why change it. The should and I would have expected better from MC on that boat
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-28-2008, 6:20 PM Reply   
Swatguy - BTW your skill level is a solid Advanced rider if not Expert, just depending if you can stick those right off the dock in a comp run. http://www.usawaterski.org/pages/TournKit/Grassroots/Scoring/2008%20NWL%20Divisions%20and%20Rules.pdf

Frank - The 08 LSV has a very stable hull and has a good transition. It is my favorite wakeboard hull in the Moomba line. This means that its friendly to Kids wakeboarding at slower speeds. If any of them get real good and you want to pro weight the boat, the shape of the wake becomes much like the Supra 24SSV. Bottom line is that you just cant go wrong with the LSV. Although I run Supra at all my tournaments, I would'nt hesitate to pull any event with the LSV. Moomba just announced that the LSV was the top selling model of not just Moomba but outsold every brands best selling boat. Its a real workhorse! BTW
Old     (eric_z)      Join Date: Jan 2008       09-28-2008, 7:32 PM Reply   
I have an 06' and love it. You will not be disappointed at all. Great wake for everything. If you want it bigger just add more weight. I have never had any problems with mine over the past year and would buy Moomba again.
Old     (04outback)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-30-2008, 11:16 AM Reply   
I have 06 and love it.
Definite add on the 750 for surfing.
Went out Fri Eve just me an 1 other..
400 center full and 750 Left Rear full and we had NO problem free riding..
For wakeboarding, the 400s in rear are fine, as you really need more in the bow than the rear on this hull..
Old     (madriding1)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-30-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
I have the 08 LSV with Gravity III ballast. Wake is great for boarding.. Definitely want to upgrade to the 750's though for surfing.
Old     (wakesurfer08)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-30-2008, 1:57 PM Reply   
Well I thank all of you for the great advice. We are very close to closing a deal on the LSV, if we buy it I will post the pictures for you.
Again Thank You all!
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-30-2008, 2:32 PM Reply   
We love ours, great wake machine for boarding & surfing. Definately add the 750lb bag(s) for surfing, creates a nice wave!

Upload
Old     (04gravitygames)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-01-2008, 5:52 AM Reply   
Nothing wrong at all with the LSV. I would definately upgrade to the GG sacks for it though. The wake is great. Tweak with it with the larger bags and the wake plate. For the price i give it two thumbs up, good quality boat and big enogh to grow into. When the kids start getting older the crews get bigger, trust me. just my .2