Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (crowmobe540)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-03-2008, 6:43 PM Reply   
I'm about to install perfect pass in my 96 super sport. My previous boat had wakeboard pro and worked great. I don't know much about star gazer, but was wondering if anyone was familiar with it. I ride on a lake with a pretty prevalent current and have heard there were some issues with that. Also, what about cloud cover or rain? Does that mess star gazer up?

Any information would be great. I'm ordering on Monday.

thanks
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-03-2008, 7:37 PM Reply   
Cloud cover and rain have no affect unless the rain is severe. It's much more consistent than satellite radio because it locks more satellites. That said, I have lost signal in a mountain lake in Canada. Someone leaning over the receiver puck does cause a loss of signal.
Installation is really easy and mine holds speed very well. The speed you set is the land speed so your wake speed is off by the current. You punch up or down to compensate and you can measure the current by floating and watching the speed, if it's over some minimum threshold.
Old     (crowmobe540)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-03-2008, 8:45 PM Reply   
So if you are going against the flow and you turn around you will have to adjust the speed set on the perfect pass?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-03-2008, 9:12 PM Reply   
Satellite is only a part of the equation used to get the speed displayed. But current will definitely play a part in it. And depending on how far north you are, if your skiing on the south side of the lake against some tall trees or rocks, then you can lose the satellites pretty easily.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-03-2008, 9:12 PM Reply   
Yep. If you have a 1 MPH current you have to raise the speed 1 MPH going down current and then lower 1 MPH going up current for a 2 MPH difference on the PP setting. If you run cross current it doesn't matter.
The paddle wheel gives you the speed on the water so there is no need to compensate. The GPS is more consistent though, across wakes and turns, and is unaffected by the boat load.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-04-2008, 6:45 AM Reply   
I would go with paddle wheel if you ride in current. I think it is debatable if stargazer works any better on turns as I have experienced some variability in speed on our turn arounds. Very accurate in straight line pulls in no current though.
Old     (billhall)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-04-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
Yeah, I don't think it really works any better in the turns. I turn a tight turn and still have to manually advance the throttle, then bring it back after the turn. Either way, the stargazer and multi-line display was definitely a worth while investment. I love it.