Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (dunesday)      Join Date: Nov 2007       09-20-2008, 8:02 AM Reply   
My boat sat in a slip for about a moth this summer. It's out now and I am cleaning her up. Any recommendations on how to get the bath tub ring and underside cleaned up? I have tried soap and water with a sponge, brush, majic eraser. No dice,, this stuff is on there. Help....
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-20-2008, 8:06 AM Reply   
Star Brite Hull Cleaner from Walmart. Cleans that up so easily you will kick yourself for all the elbow grease you have put in to it. Wax afterward of course.
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-20-2008, 9:03 AM Reply   
I use white vinegar on my boat (have had it in the water since end of May) and it keeps it looking brand new. Spray it on, let it sit for a minute, wipe away all the yuck.
Old     (billhall)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-20-2008, 9:32 AM Reply   
A product called Zing Fiberglass Hull Cleaner is what I use a our dealership and you basically don't have to do anything except brush it on, let it sit, then hose it off we plenty of water. You can dilute 1 quart in 3 to 2 Gallons of water. Or you may need to use a higher concentration or even straight concentrate to get the results depending on how bad the hull is.

Use of eye protection and rubber gloves with a mop on the end of a handle as this is an acid. But this will NOT hurt the hull or any drive components or platform brackets. It is just a great and easy to use product that has never failed me no matter how dirty the hull was.}
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-20-2008, 10:42 AM Reply   
Starbright seems a bit harsh. if you have a nice gell coat on your wakeboard boat. If you had a beat down fishing boat I would say Starbright away, I would start with somthing that's a bit less harsh, Like cleaner wax. McGuyers makes some called "Cleaner Wax". It has a small amount of abrasieve in it. A that with a bit of elbow grease and it should come off.
Old     (cbraden)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-20-2008, 11:05 PM Reply   
Muratic Acid. Dilute 2:1 or 3:1 water-acid and spray it on, let it sit, wash off. It is used to clean grime out of swimming pools and wont hurt your boat. Keep the raw metal parts wet just incase, it can cause rust if set too long with no water. I went through this same process with a moored boat. Starbright, vinegar, sno-bol toilet cleaner, etc. Muratic acid is the only thing that worked to cut the grime, and it was some thick, caked on grime.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-21-2008, 5:22 PM Reply   
Muratic acid will work, the hull cleaners will work, lime away type products will work, and toilet bowl cleaners will work as well. All are some form of acid. I prefer the toilet bowel stuff as it is more viscous than the other products. Just do not leave on too long and rinse thoroughly.
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       09-21-2008, 5:26 PM Reply   
Be careful not to let any of that acid stuff drip onto your trailer.

(Message edited by texastbird on September 21, 2008)
Old     (billhall)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-21-2008, 7:19 PM Reply   
^^^^^^^^
found that one out the hard way. Usually I always lift the boats off the trailers with a crane and forklift. I didn't care about this piece of crap bayliner I was washing with muratic acid so I was doing it while it was on its old galvanized trailer. Needless to say, the trailer looked like it was crapped on by 500 pigeons when I was done acid washing the boat and it had all the acid had dripped on the trailer. I didn't care though because the trailer was getting scrapped.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       09-21-2008, 8:43 PM Reply   
After you do any of it make sure to apply a good fresh coat of wax.
Old     (davomaddo)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-22-2008, 12:01 PM Reply   
I second: Star Brite Hull Cleaner
It is like majic.
I put it in a spray bottle, spray it on, wait about 2 minutes, and hose it off.
It is super toxic. Hold your breath and wear eye protection when spraying it.
It will make you caugh and gag if you accidentally breath it.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-22-2008, 5:15 PM Reply   
Dave, do you let the Star Brite Cleaner drip onto your trailer? Would it harm a painted trailer?
Old     (cbraden)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-22-2008, 10:59 PM Reply   
Not if it is painted. The acid reacts with organic matter, limestone, ie skin, driveways, and bare metal. Like I said before, if it is bad enough, use the acid and keep the trailer, and bare metal wet and you will have no problems. It will only rust bare metal surfaces, not the paint. That is why it comes in a plastic or fiberglass container. The muratic acid/water mix in a lawn pump sprayer works like a dream, then rinse away. Wash and wax when done and you have no more grime.
Old     (rem_pss308)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-22-2008, 11:18 PM Reply   
The works toilet bowl cleaner, from the dollar store is the stuff to use.
But dont get it on the trailer
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-23-2008, 6:41 AM Reply   
No problems with the Starbrite on my trailer.

And...I think the warnings are alot worse than the actual product. I've had it on me plenty times with no problems. The neighbor kid has been taking care of my boat and he just pours the stuff on his sponge as he's wiping bare handed.
Old     (dunesday)      Join Date: Nov 2007       09-27-2008, 8:23 AM Reply   
Sounds like I need a boat hoist to get it off the trailer ? How else would I clean/wax under the bunks ?
Old     (chall8143)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-27-2008, 7:42 PM Reply   
Slimy Grimy.

Stupid name, but it really works good. Easy on your skin, tough on grime.

Google it to find where to find it