Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old    etnomaiab            06-30-2003, 8:31 PM Reply   
I have started wakeboarding again, and it seems like I cannot get any air. I have no idea why and I don't know what I'm doing wrong anymore. I have read everything I can about progressive edging, and anything to do with the subject. My board is a 99 LF Super Squirt from when I started. (I stopped for a couple years so I am kind of re-learning). Me and my buddies video taped eachother the other weekend, and I found out that I have been absorbing the wake with my legs as I went over it, but I have corrected that. I have been trying to do that progressive edge stuff, but I don't think I am doing it right. My friends say I cut really hard into the wake, but I kinda skip over it more than get air. I go far but not high i guess. I was also thinking my board may be too small for me (its a 128, i weigh about 185), so i tried out a substance 141. That helped a little, but not much. Also, we go behind my family's sea doo jet boat (challenger 1800). The rope is attached about 18" above the water (the extended one is broken). Could the boat be hurting me a little? Do any of yall wakeboard behind this boat and how do you do? I am just really confused now and don't know what to do to fix this problem. Do yall have any idea what I am doing wrong?

thanks for your help
-Nick
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       06-30-2003, 11:57 PM Reply   
The board is a little small? That's definitely an understatement! My 13 year old nephew rides a 134! But it sounds like you still aren't understanding the progressive edge - you aren't supposed to cut hard. Start a gradual cut and continue to cut harder as you approach the wake, then as you come to the wake stand tall and it will pop you up. The Sea Doo boat doesn't put out a good wake but you should still be able to pop okay if you use the correct form. My guess is that you are completely flattening out as you approach the wake (coming off edge) because you have so much speed and you are probably still absorbing it a little instead of standing tall. You really don't need a lot of speed if you do it right.

Try edging out just 6 - 8 from the wake and then cutting back in and try to clear it. If you cut hard and hold it you will easily clear the wake and probably pop higher than you ever have before.
Old     (tantrum999)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-01-2003, 5:13 AM Reply   
Your board is a little small. I can ride a squirt and i am 6 foot tall. I use it on the sea.
You can get away with it. Cutting hard is wrong!!! at your stage you should be turning real slow. Pretent you are pushing a supermarket trolly with your arms and knees bent slightly as if you were sitting perched on a bar stool but NOT as if you were in a chair. As you get to the wake you need to be extending your legs all the way up the wake. try to go straight up! not aim for the other wake. you will get the height to reach it. remember at the wake and in the air keep the handle in and low, really important not to let your arms out.
Make sure you dont just do heelside jumps only. try improving toeside even if it is pathetic it will save major frustration in the future.

good luck and happy riding
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-01-2003, 6:14 AM Reply   
Maybe timing. Sounds like you could be trying to pop too early. My girl had the 'absorbing the wake' problem. It was becuase she was trying to leave the wake way to early.