Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            05-08-2006, 11:52 AM Reply   
Has anyone in the Stockton area ever heard of these folks? Lessons and it looks like an online store. They advertise pretty good prices on Inland Surfer boards...but I've never heard of them before the spam email I got today.

http://dwcboardshop.com/
Old     (dgoose)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-08-2006, 2:06 PM Reply   
I have that same spam. I was woundering how they had my E mail. Did you see there add with the miss spellings? Not much of a pro. Not that I'm a great at grammer but this is a business. I see there on 8 mile. I wounder if there at Hermans?
Old    surfdad            05-08-2006, 2:22 PM Reply   
Hey Greg is there anything out there at the end of 8 mile road? I thought H&H was off of Highway 12? I'm guessing these guys either harvested the email addy's or purchased a list.
Old     (dgoose)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-08-2006, 6:12 PM Reply   
Just pulled out my Delta map. H&H is at the end of 8 mile. 12 gos to Rio vista and on. tower park, B&W, and a few others are on 12.
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       05-08-2006, 6:56 PM Reply   
I got the spam too.

-Steve
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-08-2006, 8:10 PM Reply   
I got spammed too and I live in Ohio!
Old    surfdad            05-09-2006, 5:14 AM Reply   
That's funny! So Ed, next time you're out in my neighborhood - you know, taking a 2,000 mile Sunday drive, stop by! :-)

Did everyone get the spam from an email account they list on WakeWorld.com? I'm wondering if WW sold the list or if someone went through every users profile and harvested it.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       05-09-2006, 9:31 AM Reply   
I feel left out. Didn't get that spam got 10,000 others though.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       05-09-2006, 1:30 PM Reply   
I can assure you that we absolutely did not, would not and would never sell the email addresses that users use to sign up for our discussion board. Not only does it go against the Privacy Policy that we have linked from every one of our pages, but it is illegal for us to do so without the permission of the email address owner.

However, if you choose not to hide your email address in your profile (go to Edit Profile to hide it), it is possible for someone to see your email address and potentially (but illegally) use it for spam purposes. Remember that if you choose to hide your email address, people can still get a hold of you through our private messaging system without seeing your email address.

We do not allow viewing of email addresses when using the user list feature to avoid mass harvesting of discussion board email addresses. I guess if somebody was very patient they could view each of our over 15,000 profiles and pull each email address (that isn't hidden) from them individually.
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       05-09-2006, 3:49 PM Reply   
I trust you David!

-Steve

PS- At the bottom of the spam email there is a link to be removed from their list.
Old    surfdad            05-09-2006, 8:47 PM Reply   
That said, it would seem it's harvested or from a different list. I know my email is listed. David, if I hide my email add'y can folks still send a PM to me?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-10-2006, 5:02 AM Reply   
I've had several cold email contact via WW, mostly other Wakeboarders. One email offer from Jeff Page for a free copy of the Inland Surfer CD-ROM and this board shop. I liked the CD-ROM and so overall the that's pretty low on the spam index. I'd rather keep me contact info out there so I can network with others that are interested in the same things that I am interested in.
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-10-2006, 6:11 PM Reply   
I got DWC junkmail as well, and my listed e-mail address is only used on this site, and a diesel truck site....

I use a separate email address for online business, etc, and have yet to receive DWC there......