Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-21-2009, 3:31 PM Reply   
So I sold my old 1996 ski challenger V-drive and I am having some issues with the new owner and a dealer nitpicking over small issues. I had him sign an as-is boat bill of sale, but I did give him 10 days to have the boat inspected to make sure the motor- tranny worked.

So the dealer found these things wrong.

Gel coat cracks around tower 2k to repair (now it's 170 just to reinforce)
Blower motor went bad $170
Trailer brakes and surge piston are bad $994
Delivery credit -$300
I had a local shop quote out the trailer brakes and surge piston at $500.

So I told him I would write him a check for $510, just to be nice, and they wrote back saying $1,100 firm, and it threatening now. What should I do? The boat has 158 hours and engine, tranny, running gear and electronics are all in perfect working order, and the dealer said it's in showroom condition. I sold it for $13,999. I basically don't have any more money. Any ideas or people have similar situations?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-21-2009, 3:40 PM Reply   
Blower motors are $30 on Skidim.com. Gelcoat cracks shouldn't be counted. Alot of boats have them and they are just cosmetic. Having little things wrong are part of buying a boat.

Did you specify that the 10 days to inspect were just to cover engine and tranny problems? If so tell him to F off and don't pay him a dime.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-21-2009, 3:42 PM Reply   
I will talk to my roommate. His friend was interested in your boat. If it comes down to it and have to take the boat back I can see if they would still be interested so you can sell it quick. The buyer of you boat sounds like a douche maybe you would be better off selling you boat to someone else.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-21-2009, 3:50 PM Reply   
Yeah it's really weird. I understand stuff goes wrong, but the boat is awesome. I am kind of f-ed because I live 500 miles from where the boat is.
Old     (wakesurfer08)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-21-2009, 3:51 PM Reply   
Duffy,I agree with Brett blower motor tops would be $40 and Gelcoat cracks are cosmetic and most older used boats have them. As for the trailer breaks I think you are going way above what should be expected offering $510 check. Good Luck hope you get it resolved without to much hassle.
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-21-2009, 3:53 PM Reply   
the guy bought a used boat not a new one. tell the guy tough luck. the bill of sale says as-is
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-21-2009, 3:54 PM Reply   
Duffy, how was the "as-is 10 day inspection" worded? Does it imply that if they find anything at all wrong it is to be fixed or is it just ffor motor and transmission? If it isn't specific to the motor and transmission you may have learned a really expensive lesson. I hope not though and that you can get this resolved.
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-21-2009, 4:03 PM Reply   
bill of sale stated engine and tranny work. sorry
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-21-2009, 4:09 PM Reply   
Then F him. Tell him he bought a used boat and to eat chit.
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-21-2009, 4:15 PM Reply   
Yeah,

gel cracks are not the engine or tranny.
Blower motor isn't the engine or tranny.
Trailer brakes are not the engine or tranny.

I am sure this guy took it too the dealer and said be give me an estimate on anything that needs to be fixed.
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-21-2009, 4:20 PM Reply   
plus lol u know the dealer was like:

Look @ everything and flip switches CHECK!
Find something not obvious ie. brakes CHECK!
Invoice the owner $300 for inspection CHECK!
Old     (justridin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       03-21-2009, 4:53 PM Reply   
If you were a boat dealer and had to defend your reputation for the sake of earning future customers, making this buyer happy (fairly to you or not) would be much more important than in this case. The guy bought a 13 year old boat for $13,999, not a new boat and should be prepared to do a little work to it. If the motor and tranny are fine, you held up your end of the bargain. Your offer of the $510 tells us what kind of person you are, but after his reaction, I would say keep your check.

rick nailed it.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-21-2009, 5:06 PM Reply   
He ended up taking the 510 after I said I was going to buy back the boat and end the deal. So I guess everything is fine, but i'm out 510 bucks. I guess no new amp for the new boat:-(

Thanks
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-21-2009, 6:00 PM Reply   
You are a much kinder man than I AS IS means AS IS If you Want a warranty buy a new boat.
Every time people get extras after the deal is made only makes them worse to deal with in the future.
Old     (canecorso)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-21-2009, 6:01 PM Reply   
Dam your nice, if it said just engine and tranny I would only pay if something was wrong with ither otherwise its sold as is and hes shi*outta luck.

Sounds like your a standup guy, guess you will learn the hard way should you decide to pay... Did you state only engine & tranny?
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-21-2009, 6:16 PM Reply   
If I had a spare amp, I'd give it to you.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-21-2009, 8:10 PM Reply   
Thanks guys, and I am way way way to nice. And I did state as-is. I just put a clause saying if the boat had any major issues I would cover within 10 days the costs of engine, tranny or running gear, but other than that the boat is considered in good working order and is sold as is. I had it fully looked at before I shipped it, so I thought it was a done deal.
Old     (wakesurfer08)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-21-2009, 8:13 PM Reply   
Duffy,I might have an extra amp for you. I will be picking up my 01 X Star I just bought at the end of next week and if the amp that's in the boat is any good and a size you may want I would sell it cheap or just give it to you and all I would ask is if you would pay the shipping. Once I check it out I'll drop you an email.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-21-2009, 10:05 PM Reply   
Sounds good
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-22-2009, 12:47 AM Reply   
Glad it worked out for you. I thought you were being fair and perhaps nice to offer up the $500. Assuming you had the cash from the sale, I may have offered some discount like you did, maybe less generous, but if they would have come up with some attitude, I would have told him "tough ....." drive 500 miles and tell it to a judge.

Congrats on the sale BTW.
Old     (atlmobiuslsv)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-22-2009, 6:13 AM Reply   
used boat+used problems.... dont pay him for anything.....
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-22-2009, 10:39 AM Reply   
In the ad for my SAN it said "subs and amp" no sub. The pictures showed the boat in pretty good shape, when it arrived it was missing both tach and speedo, center cap for the steering wheel. Flip down cover for the stereo and a bunch of other stuff. I didn't ask for anything back even though all those things were in the pictures. Once the guy signs and pays, the boat is his and so are all the problems. There is no way you should have given him anything back if the boat ran. Though it does make me think that next time I buy a boat I'm gonna want some kind of written guarantee from the owner that the pictures are accurate and the engine, tranny and V-drive are all good.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-22-2009, 2:36 PM Reply   
i would of gave him a quarter so he could call someone who cared. duff your just to nice.or maybe i should have tried that when i bought my used boat. its so true when you buy used factor in a grand for chit you dont see or forget to check.now if you told him the brakes worked fine and they didnt they would be a different story.but i think the guy is LUCKY to get the 5hun and should be glad he bought from a very nice understanding guy.good luck with the new boat.

(Message edited by kko13 on March 22, 2009)