Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-01-2011, 12:18 PM Reply   
I know there has been a lot of speculation lately about Keith, but the cat is finally out of the bag. He just signed with Slingshot. Click the link below for more info...

http://www.wakeworld.com/news/latest...wake-team.html
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       02-01-2011, 12:19 PM Reply   
Cheeeya
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       02-01-2011, 1:50 PM Reply   
WOW! Can't wait to see this session go down! Congrats Lyman...
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-01-2011, 2:21 PM Reply   
That's cool,glad he stuck with boarding,fun to watch.Kind of ironic the graphic on his last LF model looked like a SS logo.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-01-2011, 8:00 PM Reply   
sweet!

"Now I can’t wait to see what we’ll come up with for his new 'Lyman Board!'" --- i can't wait either

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakebrdjay View Post
That's cool,glad he stuck with boarding,fun to watch.Kind of ironic the graphic on his last LF model looked like a SS logo.
true dat. also the 2008 model had very similar graphics to the recoil line of the same year... or vice versa
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-01-2011, 8:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakerider111 View Post
sweet!

"Now I can’t wait to see what we’ll come up with for his new 'Lyman Board!'" --- i can't wait either

true dat. also the 2008 model had very similar graphics to the recoil line of the same year... or vice versa
how different could it be? it will have a featureless bottom and it'll be a flex board. sounds like all the other slingshot boards.
Old     (Wakeska89)      Join Date: Jan 2011       02-01-2011, 8:59 PM Reply   
In the Oli Derome thread, slingshot said they were making a solid core board. Does that mean it is going to be a stiff board? Is it Lyman's?
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       02-01-2011, 9:15 PM Reply   
It said he'll be riding the SS Hooke. It's one of their stiff boards, they have carbon fiber wrapped around the edges to stiffen and strengthen
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-01-2011, 9:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakeska89 View Post
In the Oli Derome thread, slingshot said they were making a solid core board. Does that mean it is going to be a stiff board? Is it Lyman's?
if that's the case, that'll be one slingshot board i'd be down to try.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-01-2011, 10:10 PM Reply   
Yeahhhhhh buddy!
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-02-2011, 4:01 PM Reply   
after all the hype and speculation the thread with the news only generates a handful of posts haha
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-02-2011, 5:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakid View Post
how different could it be? it will have a featureless bottom and it'll be a flex board. sounds like all the other slingshot boards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_rock32 View Post
It said he'll be riding the SS Hooke. It's one of their stiff boards, they have carbon fiber wrapped around the edges to stiffen and strengthen
The article did say he is riding the Hooke and had a pic of him with the Hooke with the RAD boots. But the article also mentioned working with him on a "Lyman Board" and then there was that post that someone said they pulled from his facebook page, something like, "don't buy your 2011 boards yet, something is in the mix"

The ballistic line (Newton, Hooke, Kine) are all a little stiffer due to the carbon fiber on the rails like rock 32 said. but they also incorperate subtle bottom features. they all have unique shallow channel workings in the tip and tail that are about 0.5 to 1 cm deep. the Hooke has a channel within a channel which in a sense would make it have the most significant/deepest bottom features of the ballistic series. Every other year slingshot has made major changes to the boards. each time they have gotten a little bit stiffer too. this year they even added subtle bottom features to some.

i may be mistaken but i think the mention of "solid core" on Oli's thread was to make a comment about the team and not a board. but with this said i have no doubt slingshot could make whatever kind of board they want. they just appear to have had a particular style and direction up to this point to keep things flexy and simple among other things.
Old     (dyost)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-03-2011, 1:36 PM Reply   
I wanna see some vid of him riding it. Will be curious if the flex affects his amplitude at all. Randall still went huge when he was on the Company Recruit flexboard before they made his pro model.

I wanna try the ballistic series soooo bad. They need to make the Newton in a 145.....
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-03-2011, 2:25 PM Reply   
I wonder if this means that Slingshot might venture into the realm of non-flex boards. I'm assuming that Lyman will want something stiffer than they currently offer, but perhaps that's not an accurate assumption. I'm basing it on the fact that that is what Randall wanted when he started riding for Company. Maybe a new "less-flex" category will emerge.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-03-2011, 3:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeworld View Post
Maybe a new "less-flex" category will emerge.
you mean there could be a whole new version of the sliced bread?
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       02-05-2011, 3:32 PM Reply   
Slingshot went with an all wood core this year compared to previously going with foam and wood. Wood is much better in all aspects of strength. In fact, it's so much more cost efficient for the strength that they use balsa cores on wind mill blades. Most of the boards on the market use all foam or have partial foam cores. Technically all boards flex, but the extent of what they flex is determined by the core, the geometry of the board, and the types of fiber and resins used to cover the core.

Slingshot uses a stiffer wood for stringers in the core, bottom contours, and a carbon along the rails of the board for the Newton, Hooke and Kine.