Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-07-2009, 6:55 PM Reply   
Damn! This is sobering:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1161022/index.htm
Old     (bogartsomeday)      Join Date: Mar 2009       10-07-2009, 11:46 PM Reply   
Concussion Isnt Enough
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-08-2009, 3:37 AM Reply   
I watched the special on that on ESPN yesterday. I know my son's will never play football after that.
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-08-2009, 7:11 AM Reply   
yeah, have your son's get into a sport with no concussions...like wakeboarding . my son got a pretty bad concussion is soccer, so did my daughter but not nearly as bad. And when they decided to quit I was relieved actually. Then the next daughter takes up swimming, i'm thinking pretty safe sport eh?, then one of her team mates misjudges the wall and bingo, out cold in the water, concussion. Who'd a thunk it. So what sport is going to be concussionless? (and still be called a real sport)
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-08-2009, 7:13 AM Reply   
^^^ice curling???
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-08-2009, 7:22 AM Reply   
as exciting as ice curling is, walking on ice, or carrying the stones down the icey steps back to the car after a few brewskis, you mis-step and whoosh, feet over the a-hole, head hits the ice...concussion. Or you're barking comands at the broomer and get a little close and bam, broom handle in the temple....concussion.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-08-2009, 7:26 AM Reply   
I've got friends that have had cuncussions curling. Slipped on the ice, no helmet, didn't spill the beer.
My son got a concussion at a hockey tournament and missed part of it as a result. Of course he was tobogganning with his team between games and not involved in the 'sport' part.
I'm more worried about constant minor cuncussive injury from soccer than from football though.
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-08-2009, 7:27 AM Reply   
haha, true. They could make ice curling more entertaining if they would make it full contact, maybe have the other team try to push the stone off line so you need to have a defender on your stone at all times. I think the curling ratings during the winter olympics would jump if they were to do something like that.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-08-2009, 7:43 AM Reply   
THIS was the freaky part: "What's more, anyone who sustains a concussion is three to six times more likely to get another, with each concussion increasing the chance of permanent damage."

Glad I bought that helmet.
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-08-2009, 10:39 AM Reply   
And I heard that if you've had a concussion serious enough to require a hospital stay, then you are 7 times more likely to develop parkinson's later in life. bummer.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-08-2009, 11:17 AM Reply   
concussions are scary stuff. watching someone you care ab not remember what you just told them 5 minutes ago is a humbling experience. i wouldnt wish it on anyone.

i hope FLorida does whats right with Tebow. but we all know that they will probably do whats best for the Florida Gators.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       10-12-2009, 10:31 AM Reply   
Did anyone see 60 Minutes last night?
I have always said I would take a concussion anyday over a torn ligament (ie. knee or ankle ect...) but now I am thinking twice. I have had MANY concussions in my day.

It is all starting tocome together now. lol
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-12-2009, 12:58 PM Reply   
I watched that on 60 minutes last night as well. Scary stuff to say the least. Did you see the part on the Patriots player they interviewed when he hit the guy so hard it blew apart his helmet?
Old     (dirtyriverrider)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-12-2009, 1:01 PM Reply   
ya I watched that 60 minutes last night. I've had a few concussions from trying to learn new tricks. I know I'm not going pro so what's the point in injuring myself more?
Forgetting an entire day was kinda freaky...
Would always catch my backside edge on a frontside 3 but have got the trick dialed in now.
And hopefully no more concussions, cause that mess is kinda scary for real
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-12-2009, 1:05 PM Reply   
wear a helmet!
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-12-2009, 1:06 PM Reply   
^^^^^haha j/k
Old     (denystaucd)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-14-2009, 11:32 PM Reply   
After reading more on concussions and seeing these video, it's starting to make me think twice.

Had a wakeboarding concussion and lost vision the next day... Each one makes it easier to get and more disorientating, I'm at 3 hospital visits for serious concussion (not all boarding) and probably 3-4 moderate concussions. Also diagnosed with probable memory loss, due to the last one.

So yeah, PLEASE think twice before going back into the water after a serious head injury.

Cheers,
DC
Old     (wakekid11)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-16-2009, 3:43 AM Reply   
yeah i've had about 5 1/2 now, i have to be extremely careful now.

1 playing basketball,
1 snowboarding,
2 1/2 wakeboarding,
and the worst one that hospitalized me for 2 days was playing broomball

and i'm telling you i dont want to go through another one.

also i got pretty concussed when a friend accidentally head butted me haha long story
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-16-2009, 6:41 AM Reply   
my kids soccer club had them all do Impact testing,, it's a cognitive test done on a computer that measures diff areas of the brain. They had them do it to establish a baseline so when they did get a concussion they'd know the difference before and after. But you can get it done within 72 hrs of a concussion and it will, amazingly, pinpoint the damage area.

My daughter did get smacked, dislocated and fractured jaw along with a concussion. The test goes something like this: all areas of her brain are in the 80-90%, except the damaged area was around 30%. Dr said this was giving her slow reflexes and poor decion making (great qualities for a goalie huh?) (my son's concussion was in the temple causing temporary short term memory loss, 10 second tom) he would not let her drive or compete for about 4 weeks until that area of the brain was equal to the rest of the brains results in the 80-90s. That is when you can start activity again to reduce the chance of easier re-injury.

Main benefit of Impact testing is it tells you when you're ok to get going again. If you get a whack, you can, and should, get one of these test at local sports medicine centers.