Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 01, 2004

Old    devastate            04-03-2004, 7:45 PM Reply   
yes i know its something that most of us can only dream of, and most of us who try fail... but never the less - i have read the articles on WakeWorld about the personality side of getting sponsored so i know pretty much all of that... i was just wondering if anyone could give me a list of basic trick requirements, or something of the sort.

cheers

John
Old     (mike_schwenne)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-03-2004, 8:37 PM Reply   
There are tons of different ways and angles to getting sponsored. The main thing is separating yourself from all the other riders out there. If you're just coping a list of trick that another sponsored rider already does, than what the point for them to have 2 riders doing the same thing. You want to differentiate yourself, and present yourself positively everywhere you go. It's really all about selling product for companies you ride for. If you benefit them, then they help you in return.
I'm actually hosting a special weeklong camp this summer, to train riders how to market themselves, get exposure, compete etc. We've got professional photographers and videographers coming up to capture the entire week. The top rider, receives a feature section in the new Delta Sessions video "DS2", Plus a full sponsorship package from the sponsor of their choice. We're only accepting 10 riders for this week, and require an application letter to be accepted. If it's something you're interested in, you can email us from our website www.westcoastcamps.com and put "interested in Outlaw camp"
If you just want a list of tricks that'll get you a sponsor, learn a couple mobes, a ts off axis 5, heelside 3, a 7, and learn to hit rails. Then go compete in the JR. Mens Division, and do well. I'm sure CWB will hook you up:-)

Mike Schwenne
www.westcoastcamps.com
Old     (dbo)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-03-2004, 8:58 PM Reply   
hey mike, what are your requirements for this outlaw camp? i know i am not there yet but man i am trying something new every day and just trying to get there. let me know some specifics please.
Old     (derrick_lenz)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-03-2004, 9:09 PM Reply   
"I'm sure CWB will hook you up"

funniest thing i've heard on here for awhile. unfortunatly its true.

Old    grampawakerider            04-03-2004, 9:38 PM Reply   
Or you could just send in the winning video of yourself doing a 1080. jk....I have no idea. But it probably would work!
Old     (dbo)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-03-2004, 9:41 PM Reply   
yeah good call mark. im sure that would work. how was san antonio today? i was supposed to go with teri but i have so many other things going on with the remodeling of our house that i couldnt make it. i hope to hook up with all of you guys another time though.
Old    grampawakerider            04-04-2004, 1:46 PM Reply   
Derek -
San Antonio was glass until about 1:30 when all the sailboats came out. Got some good pointers from Teri and John. Thats a real sweet ride Scott has. Meet you at WSSR? I might be hooking up with Scott again before then up at the Delta. He said he wanted to show me around up there in his boat before I took mine out there.
Old     (dbo)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-04-2004, 6:37 PM Reply   
hey mark wssr? where and when. i want to get to the delta badly. id love to go over there and ride anyday of the week but i am always working. if you ever have some room let me know.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-04-2004, 7:07 PM Reply   
do you need to be sponsored? i.e. do you really need the money to be able to ride? I think it would be much more legit (if you have the money) to win and not be sponsored by some company. that would definately be much more 'core'
Old    grampawakerider            04-04-2004, 7:19 PM Reply   
Get in touch with Teri about WSSR. Lake SAn Antonio, May22 and 23. I've never been to the Delta myself, it's about 6-7 hours drive for me towing the boat. When I do go on my own, I'll drop you a line.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-04-2004, 7:55 PM Reply   
Tim - you crack me up bro. I can agree with you to a point. I'm not gonna go out and try to get sponsored but if someone came to me and said, "hey dude, you're good, take this free board and ride it all the time, and say good stuff about *insert company name here*. If you get really good I'll even give you some money." I'd reply, "whatever you say free-board-provider-dude."
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-04-2004, 8:10 PM Reply   
thane this is true, it is all about advertisement to the board companies, they want good riders to be seen using their boards. perhaps they should call it something other than being sponsored. product endorsement is what other pro athletes call it. so the thread is "how good do I need to be to get product endorsement deals" of course this would make you sound like a sellout in a sport where you have to be 'core' to be cool.
Old    devastate            04-05-2004, 2:42 AM Reply   
if that was the real mike schwenne replying to my post... wow thanks man, much respect

John
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-05-2004, 5:20 AM Reply   
Yes John it is.

I'm totally with Thane on this one, if someone gave me a free board, I'd take it (ok maybe except tubelite) boards are expensive.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-05-2004, 5:23 AM Reply   
actually I kinda take that back, I couldn't ride for people who I thought were idiots with a bad product.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-05-2004, 10:19 AM Reply   
Kristian - I did exaggerate like I have been known to do. Everything within reason.
Old     (mike_schwenne)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-05-2004, 6:28 PM Reply   
Derek Bosia,
Our outlaw camp is not just about your trick list. It's created for those riders want to compete, get sponsored or even try to go pro. If any of those subjects interest you, than go ahead and write us a one page paper about yourself, your goals, and why you should be one of the 10 riders to attend the outlaw camp. I also want to note that during all of our other camps, I'm more than happy to offer every bit of information about the above subjects. The difference with the outlaw camps is that the whole week you'll be involved in photos shoot, resume building, self marketing clinics. If you're there for the competition aspect of the camp as well, we'll set you up with several contest passes for the different situations posed during regular contest'.
You can email your submission for our outlaw camps to info@westcoastcamps.com

Mike Schwenne
Old     (dbo)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-05-2004, 6:34 PM Reply   
hey thanks mike. i am still going to give it some thought though. i know there are plenty of people who deserve it more than me but man i want it. so i will have to sit down and write this up. thanks
Old     (mike_schwenne)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-05-2004, 6:35 PM Reply   
John O,
I thank you for the appreciation you expressed toward my reply. It wasn't until the summer of '99 that I got my first sponsorship(I started riding in '92). Good luck!

Mike Schwenne
www.westcoastcamps.com
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-05-2004, 9:55 PM Reply   
I can't tell if that was a CWB knock or not. That's funny you say that cuz CWB gave me a board and had never seen me ride. I'm pretty good at "talking shop" and they just figured that I could promote. I worked the OC boat show this past weekend and slung decks, it was fun, I really believe in the CWB product and the way they are always improving their designs even if they were pretty good to begin with. I'm no Mike Schwenne but have fun, go big, and like to think I have a great attitude about the sport. Just be a chill fella and people will want to hang with you and that's really all they want, just a nice, knowledgeable person.

PS-Watch for the new Adkinson board, it looks nice!
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-05-2004, 10:40 PM Reply   
mike, thats one of the funniest things ive read in a while. you ride for d-up right? im on their southeast regional team, if your ever in the tampa area, you should come out and ride sometime. we have a pretty sweet crew. drop a line if you are ever in town, not many d-up riders on the east coast
Old    jzwake            04-06-2004, 6:31 AM Reply   
Real secret to getting sponsored:

Latch onto a rep and do what ever he needs. I see it work for people who aren't even good riders. butt
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-07-2004, 1:34 PM Reply   
I don't think it was a knock, he's just pointing out the fact that the junior team for CWB is freakin huge. The pull up the school bus to every stop.
I've had the pleasure of watching a couple of their guys ride (Jeff House, Joey Arcizs). I don't think anyone would knock their skills.
Old     (mike_schwenne)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-08-2004, 11:58 AM Reply   
I'm actually friends with Arcizs, grassman, zane and andrew. All of them are great riders. I wasn't knocking CWB at all. I was being sarcastic about learning the same set of tricks that the majority of Jr. men riders do, in order to get sponsor. Ride for yourself, have fun, creat your own niche, and choose a company that makes the board that rides best for you.
The latching onto the rep strategy is a good one.

Mike Schwenne
www.westcoastcamps.com
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-08-2004, 12:22 PM Reply   
that "Escapade" Houseboat is really sick!
Old     (wkbrderx5)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-09-2004, 9:08 AM Reply   
hey mike.. i checked out www.westcoastcamps.com and didnt see anything about the outlaw camp going on this summer, u got any more info on it? is this just word of mouth camp, does it cost the same as the week long? im very interested in it, ive competed before, but quit cuz i wasnt content enough, i have so many tricks i wanna learn right now. but thats an opportunity hard to pass up! just like most everyone my passion is wakeboarding and that would be my dream!
Old    laceyp            04-09-2004, 11:35 AM Reply   
Mike Schwenne
I think it is great what you are doing for wakeboarding! I hope this outlaw camp will be an annual event.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-09-2004, 12:06 PM Reply   
I would have to agree with Mike. Now you can be sponsored and ride the way you want. Back in the older days you had to do the same thing everyone else did. I am glad to see so many different styles out there now. It is good to get sponsored, but do it for the right reasons. If you enjoy spreading the stoke to others and helping them out with there skills to improve others than thats great, but don't do it just to say you are sponsored or for free product. Do it because you love the sport and the stoke that comes with it. I would rather see a friend learn a new trick than myself because I know the feeling they get from it.
Old     (ty540)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-09-2004, 1:09 PM Reply   
Sucking up to the team's better riders can't hurt either. I'm sure Mike wouldn't mind having a personal slave for awhile...
Old     (mike_schwenne)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-12-2004, 9:45 AM Reply   
For all those interested in the outlaw camp: The camp is going to happen the week of July 26-30. We've been waiting until it released in wakeboarding mag this month to put that page up on the web. It’s now up, you can check it out at www.westcoastcamps.com/outlawcamp.htm If you have any further questions or are just curious if you could qualify for this camp, you can email us at info@westcoastcamps.com Title: Outlaw Camp
Hope this helps,
Mike Schwenne
www.westcoastcamps.com