Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (payback)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-15-2008, 6:15 AM Reply   
Hi Guys

Just broke three ribs at my local cable and after a few test at the hospital it turns out that I only have one Kidney. My urologist said it was congenital and many people only find out after a sonar, so now I'm looking at changing my current vest which is a Neilpryde Series 5000 http://archive.neilpryde.com/product/wwear01/5000_vest/fset/background_fset.html which I have used for Wakeboarding and Kiteboarding and has been fine until now. I broke ribs 2,3,4 pretty high up and upon inspection of the vest found that the vest offered little to no protection in that region.

My main concern is my Kidney, I'm probably been a bit paranoid but what good Impact vest with good all round protection is out there I've seen some guys mention the O'Neil Gooru but what else could I look at ?

Thank in advance...
Old     (caseman1322)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-15-2008, 7:33 AM Reply   
check out the Jet pilot a-10 vest. It seems to offer some decent rib protection for me
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-15-2008, 11:09 AM Reply   
Uh the gooru is the least protective vest you can get into, there are some spots on the vest that offer you no more protection than a wetsuit. I would say to check out the oneill mental, it is a CGA vest that has impact foam sewn on in various places and will offer ample kidney protection. I have an oneill vapor and it offers alot of rib protection, I would have to say that that is the thickest part of the jacket.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-15-2008, 11:20 AM Reply   
What about the Billabong Sanford vest? I'm looking at mine and it's pretty thoroughly covered in foam.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-15-2008, 11:32 AM Reply   
i got the bodyglove eco vest on BBB a week or two ago and it has kidney pads/wraps on the inside as well as a removable lumbar support. AND you will be preserving the environment. It is really light compared to my last vest (sterns neoprene vest) and is advertised as being lighter than most.

the kidney pads are not super thick, more like a neoprene wide back brase that wraps all the way arround...i'll try to post some pics of it when i get home.
Old    K.B.C.            03-15-2008, 11:54 AM Reply   
the o'neill vapor comp has some pretty beefy padding in the rib area. I would say definitely way more than the A-10 or Gooru...

(Message edited by sperbet on March 15, 2008)
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-15-2008, 11:59 AM Reply   
argeed scott. I can put them all in my hand right now and the vapor has the most rib protection and padding overall for sure.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-15-2008, 2:43 PM Reply   
here is the pics of the 2007 eco vest by body glove

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       03-15-2008, 3:21 PM Reply   
Take a look at the Helium Flak Jackets, they have a built in back/kidney belt.
Old    K.B.C.            03-15-2008, 3:53 PM Reply   
I have a helium swat with that similar lumbar support as the eco vest above and probably the Flak as well. I will tell you it has no where near the rib protection of the vapor. It's a back support not rib protection
Old     (payback)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-16-2008, 5:02 AM Reply   
Thanks for the pictures and suggestions guys appreciate it :-)
Old     (the_right_kind)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-16-2008, 10:03 AM Reply   
Another one to check out is the O'Neil '08 Revenge.
Bummer about the kidney, take care of the one you have!
Old     (aces6692)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-16-2008, 6:43 PM Reply   
i have a helium swat vest, its got pretty good protection on it
Old     (sacmule)      Join Date: May 2007       03-17-2008, 8:05 AM Reply   
I too ride a helium(Nevin) SWAT CGA vest. It provides plenty of mobility and has great padding to cushion the blows. Sorry to hear about the carnage, I have worn a non-CGA vest once and took a good fall and felt like I was hit by a bus, swore off non-CGA or at least not well padded PFDs thereafter.
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-17-2008, 9:56 AM Reply   
Definitely the Oneill Vapor vest. It has a lot of protection overall. I once rode to a dock too fast, bumped my board to the dock, bounced up and then fell on my back right on the dock and then to the water. I felt no pain at all and I got no bruises left. Everyone thought I had broken something but I was perfect.
Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-17-2008, 10:17 AM Reply   
Check out the ribtect 2 at ribtect.com. This is not a flotation vest. It is used by the go cart racers. It has carbon fiber panels to protect the ribs and kidneys. It is super thin and light weight. If you wear it under your regular vest, no one will know it's there. I used mine while two fractured ribs healed......now I feel naked without it.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-17-2008, 12:07 PM Reply   
I ride a Murray Full Metal Jacket. Pretty thick and protective it's also CGA. I use to ride comp vests. Huge difference!