Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 04, 2005

Old     (mike_d)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-22-2004, 12:33 PM Reply   
When will we know when everthing is going down. Cant wait for the real contests to come back. Or at least the ones where you have the most fun. INT rocks bring it back
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-22-2004, 12:43 PM Reply   
Excuse me? Don't dis the REAL contests that have been happening in SoCal over the past 5 years. I'm talking about the ones that where you do HAVE THE MOST FUN.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-22-2004, 12:56 PM Reply   
Das rite...Jeffy, you tell im. Canyon lake tourneys rock and also have the best people running them. We look forward to coming down from Norcal as many times as possible and staying in my cheesy motel. Yeh baby!
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-22-2004, 2:33 PM Reply   
So Cal INT is in the works RIGHT NOW!!!! I will be the So Cal coordinator. I'm working on sponsorship, and hope to have all the fees paid to INT by mid January. Keep checking INTLEAGUE.COM or I'll post here once all the details are complete.

So far, we have about 5 tournaments planned in So Cal. Three will be in the Bakersfield area, and two at Irvine Lake in OC. Anyone interested in helping out, or companies who want to sponsor with some $$ or bling gimme a mail at:
socalint@yahoo.com

BTW, others tournaments in So Cal are run very professionally, and have fantastic turnouts. My hope is we can put on tournaments that are just as fun!! I welcome anyone and everyones suggestions-
Old     (jrad)      Join Date: Mar 2004       12-22-2004, 6:03 PM Reply   
jaeff frew rocks the canyon lake tourneys hands down.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-22-2004, 6:22 PM Reply   
Excited about comps @ Irvine Lake!!!!
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-22-2004, 7:16 PM Reply   
Hey Mike, have you been out to a Canyon Comp?? how about the wakesports contests?? If not you are missing out on some great wakeboarding!! The INT will be a great thing to bring back for sure and props out to Jeff bridges for taking it on! But please don't dog on what you havn't tried
http://www.wakeboardclub.com
Old     (steve_b)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-22-2004, 7:39 PM Reply   
Who's this Jeff Frew guy?

Also Jared Couch? What kind of a name is Couch?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       12-22-2004, 7:57 PM Reply   
Scotch-Romanian? :-)
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-22-2004, 9:04 PM Reply   
Bridges-- where in Bakersfield are the tourneys gonna be? The private lakes maybe...
Old     (steve_b)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-22-2004, 9:10 PM Reply   
Maybe it's Dutch..

"If there's one thing I hate, it's people who are intollerant of other peoples cultures...and the Dutch"

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-23-2004, 1:56 AM Reply   

quote:

Cant wait for the real contests to come back.

you mean frew and tyler have been putting on fake events?

with all due respect, gimme a break dude. be stoked about an upcoming tournament, but please don't step on those that provided awesome, fun events for all of socal in int's absence.
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-23-2004, 6:09 AM Reply   
Bakersfield Tourny's will be on private lakes. The tournaments in that area are being coordinated with Bill Galli, the Malibu rep for that area. Dates have yet to be confirmed- after the first of the year we'll be finalizing everything and getting all the nfo posted-
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-23-2004, 6:11 AM Reply   
Joe is right! I've ben to a Wakesports contest and was very inmpressed. Actually a very well run contest with more to do then sit and wait your turn to ride! They have music, raffles and games for the kids. Tyler and the guys at Wakesports do a great job promoting the sport. I
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-23-2004, 9:25 AM Reply   
INT - Should be the TSL - The Sandbagers League. Sorry, and I am sure this will peeve a few people, but the way they have their classes set up, so many people sandbag. Go to Canyon Lake for the real deal.
Old     (mike_d)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-23-2004, 2:13 PM Reply   
Wow stepped on some toes? I just wanted to see if eveyone is still breathing. Have a Great Cristmas everyone. Didnt mean to get the panties in a bind.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-23-2004, 4:15 PM Reply   
It's O.K. Just didn't want to see you alienate any potential customers.
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-23-2004, 4:25 PM Reply   
Hey Jeff whats with the new name?
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-23-2004, 4:37 PM Reply   
Being festive for the holiday season
Old     (alotta_fagina)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-23-2004, 5:04 PM Reply   
Fruit Cake...isn't that the crap that gets re-gifted and passed around 10 times before being pitched in the dumpster? Oh no, thats the gift that keeps on giving!
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-23-2004, 5:32 PM Reply   
Fake Boobs...that is the gift that keeps on giving.
Old     (leshella)      Join Date: Feb 2004       12-24-2004, 10:35 PM Reply   
rod! it's les from camp. ok 1st off, jared is So funny, and 2nd, his last name is the shizz cause this is his pick-up line "hey ladies, wanna lay on the couch!?!??!" so funny. love it.
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-25-2004, 10:16 AM Reply   
TConway... INT is set up for riders of all ages and abilities, but if you "sandbag" I guarentee i'll bump ya to a higher division. We have classes though for your 5 year old kid, your wife or girlfriend, your 16 year old son pulling inverts and spins, and your grandpa who has one wake jumps. Bring everyone- they'll all compete and have fun. If you wanna be pro, or think you are, we got outlaw division. So, call it whatever you want, but come out and check us out BEFORE you talk the smack. I don't think i've ever seen ya at one of our tourny's :-) You are welcome to try the competition-

Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-25-2004, 12:24 PM Reply   
Hey Jeff... No offense, but the reason that my son, Derek, stopped competing at INT was when about three of years ago there was a kid that was a wakeboard instructor. He would brag to everyone how he could bo 7's and some mobes. But because he wanted to go to the INT nationals and was afraid of the competition in the Outlaw class, he competed in the class just below. He was clearly sandbagging. I have seen quite a few contests where the riders would play it safe to "stay in class" when they were clearly better. In fact I hear people talk about doing it. Sorry, I think INT is great for the sport. It just has a few flaws. I am not talking smack...just fact.
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-25-2004, 1:08 PM Reply   
No worries! Here's the deal though, at least from what I've experienced. I ride with a lot of guys who can pull all kinds of stuff down the lake, BUT put them in a contest, it's a different story. Competition riding requires two solid passes of tricks- winner is usually the guy with no falls and least flaws. That's usually six to twelve tricks you feel the most comfortable with. May not include the three inverts you pull free riding, or blind 3's, cause they're not quite solid enough, or grabbed, or whatever. So I've ridden with many guys who actually may "free ride" a class above where they compete, but are not comfortable enough with thier run to compete at that level. Personally, I think riding the upper division will push thier riding skills, but hey, thats what competition is all about! If someone rides above thier class limit though, like pulling three inverts in an Intermdiate division, they WILL be bumped to the higher division.

I totally understand getting miffed seeing someone who obviously can ride a higher division competing in thier division, but I guess thats when we all gotta really be honest with ourselves when registering. I see it go the other way, as well. Guys want to compete a higher division then they should cause thats where thier bros are competing. In the end though, not many of us will ever receive a paycheck for competing, or have our pictures in a magazine. We compete cause it's fun, and hanging on the lake with everyone, cheering every else who's not riding in your division is just a kick!! Trophies are nice and all, butnot why i'm out there, or i'd be frustrated by now. Jumalian beat me enough times!!! So give us a chance, come on out and have a good time. Meet some new people, bro with the old friends. At the end of the day we'll all go home smiling
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-25-2004, 2:10 PM Reply   
Jeff, Do you have your schedule yet? We try to go to as many tourneys as possible.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       12-25-2004, 6:43 PM Reply   
don't meant to hijack, but hey tom, merry christmas to you and the family. How is Dereks knee and therapy doing??hugs, robyn
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-25-2004, 8:02 PM Reply   
Jeff - regarding the free riding / competition theory, riders need to be encouraged to take the risk, ride the higher divisions, and not be conservative. That is the single biggest complaint we read about of the pro tour, that riders are too conservative, not pushing it. Personally, I am most proud of 2 passes that I have no idea where I placed (not in the top 3), but I felt was one of the best rides of my life.
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-26-2004, 7:50 AM Reply   
That, my friend, is what it's all about!! The fantastic feeling you get when you do stick your run. Doesn't matter where you place as long as you feel that stoke! Ya, like I said, really you can't base how much fun it is by where you place.

We are still finalizing the schedule dates, but look for the first comp in June, two in July, two in August and a finals in early Sept.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-26-2004, 10:46 AM Reply   
Hi Robyn...Merry Christmas to you and your family. Same to you Jeff and I agree with you about pushing the limits. Derek had to take risks to win the Nationals. Ohterwise he didn't stand a chance. I remember a young kid that was in the jr. boys division and his parents talking about how "staying in class" in the INT did not prepare him for the Nationals in Indy. Next year they are really going to push him even if it means not winning his division in INT,(and qualifying) in order to prepare for the "real Nationals.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-26-2004, 5:51 PM Reply   
the first one's in june??? why the late start?
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-26-2004, 6:37 PM Reply   
INT has proved to be a stepping stone for a number of pros- None of them would've made it had they not pushed the limits. Majority of us just plain love it and usually lose :-)

Joe- when do you think we should start? We can really only afford six, seven contests tops this year. It's gonna take a little time to build up to get outrageous turnouts....I'm open to all options though! You're gonna help, right???
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-29-2004, 4:02 PM Reply   
TConway,
I totally agree with your points. The situation is compounded at the US championships. Some int regions run the comps right and put the kids in the right devisions. Some (usually south and east coast) let kids get away with sandbagging.
I remember two years ago there was a kid in one of the lower divisions who could have placed in the top half of the outlaw. I think kids should be pushed to ride in higher divisions. It's the only way to get better. I remember in 2001 derek and kevin were the two youngest outlaws at Bell Aqua. And both of them have gone on to do well at national competitions.

Hope Derek gets better and is riding soon, that is if he isn't already.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       12-29-2004, 10:21 PM Reply   
Hey Matthew...wassup?
Jeff, you said "INT has proved to be a stepping stone for a number of pros".
I agree that the Outlaw division in INT is awsome. I think my son will ride in it next year. It is the lower classes that promote sandbagging. Like Bird said, some areas are honest, but others are not. It is not good for anybody, especially the riders that want to really compete legitimately.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-30-2004, 12:25 AM Reply   

quote:

It is the lower classes that promote sandbagging.

i'd have to agree with tommy there. back in 2001, i rode in the master's division. at that time, i had enough to ride in the advance division, but i said "what the heck, i can't win in that division," so i stuck it out in masters.

after that year, i've had a different outlook on comps. it's not all about winning. it's meeting friends, old and new. while it's great to win, it's also great to see the faces on the kids (kids of all ages) when they get their name called for 1st, 2nd or 3rd.

now that i don't ride that much, i'd ride in the masters legitimately.
Old     (jrad)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-03-2005, 11:08 PM Reply   
What kind of name is Couch, master b what kind of name is that?
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       01-05-2005, 7:02 AM Reply   
As the MI state coordinator, I have bumped people riding in divisions too low. Most of the time they smile like they got caught. I make a big deal out of bumping divisions and try to reward the riders with extra recognition for bumping divisions. At the USC, I had a rider who bumped himself. He finished in the middle of the pack, but would have been on the podium if he had stayed in his original division. He was kind of bummed, but we were all proud of him and his integrity in his riding. He will likely be a pro in a few years - after high school.

That said, everyone wants to win. That is the nature of competition. The INT makes it possible for everyone to have a better shot. It just has to be run correctly - and that is tough for us humans to do all the time.