Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 06, 2009

Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-27-2009, 9:06 AM Reply   
Finally, I can write a happy ending to my "I Hate HS 3's" thread!(http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3184/544232.html?1220380076)

I've been struggling with this trick since I first landed one a few years ago. Every time I thought I had it figured out by landing a couple in a row, I would take a step back and not land one for 20+ tries. There has been a lot of trial and error over the past couple of seasons, but just last week I "think" it finally clicked for me.

There are several things I have tried which I try to make part of every attempt...drift edge, knees really bent, handle mostly out, etc. There are also countless other things I've tried that didn't work in making this consistent for me such as the pop, pull, pass method. This would work sometimes, but most of the time it was hard to advance myself far enough towards the boat to get the pass if I truly waited until the peak of my jump to pull on the handle.

Well, this past week I tried something that had me land more of these in a couple of sets than I had in 3 years combined. All it took for me was to start pulling on the handle GOING UP THE WAKE! Notice I didn't say to start spinning as we know that spinning off the wake is a good way to get worked, but rather I just started creating slack as I was going up the wake. Then, once I was in the air and my axis was set I would reach around for the pass and it was there every time!

I had never heard of this tip before (pulling going up the wake) but most people do this to an extent if you watch them in slo-mo at the top of the wake. I couldn't figure out how for some they seemed to get so much slack in the rope right off the top of the wake but now I know!

Anyway, I just thought I would share and hopefully this would help out another person that is/was a part of the frusted 3 club.
Old     (tailgate)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-27-2009, 9:17 AM Reply   
Awesome, next pull in my boat I want to see 2 in a row, and you get first water. Then you can teach me to do them. :-)
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-27-2009, 9:21 AM Reply   
Thanks! Yeah, now I'm just fearful that my "fix" is just a fad that will be out of date next time I ride! haha
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-27-2009, 9:31 AM Reply   
congrats!
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       04-27-2009, 9:49 AM Reply   
congrats jarret!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-27-2009, 10:01 AM Reply   
WHOOO HOOO! GLAD THE ADVICE HELPED!
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-27-2009, 10:43 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. This is a trick I should have worked out a LONG time ago but I'm happy that it is finally starting to make sense. Time to get the grab on it now!
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-27-2009, 11:15 AM Reply   
In Detention 2012, Shuan does this. I can't remember if he remarked about doing it, but I could definitely tell he pulled the rope in while riding up the wake. Let the hands drift away a little on the approach and pull in slightly going up the wake. Like I said, I can't remember if that was a teaching point or if that was just second nature to him.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-27-2009, 1:44 PM Reply   
i had a similar issue but opposite. i would pull going up the wake but not after like the common "pop, pull, pass" saying. but i suppose the phrase aint too common, not for me, or at least i never heard it till your thread last year. but now i seem to see/hear it more.

anyway, so i incorporated that (pulling after popping) and it worked, but i suppose i ended up with the same good results as you... lets just hope i can still land at least a third of the attempts when i get out on the water for the first times this season. I really hope i don't have a repeat of not being able to land them after a break; but i suppose that break was 2 years for my mission (2002-2003)... dang! it took 5 years to get it back and better! I definitely aint progressing right! but at least i still have fun

"pull-POP-pull, pass" for me (too)
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-27-2009, 1:47 PM Reply   
I like that...pull, pop, pull, pass. You definitley don't stop pulling once you leave the wake, I just wasn't pulling early enough. I wish somebody would have told me years ago!
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-27-2009, 2:17 PM Reply   
What about for toeside?
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-27-2009, 2:29 PM Reply   
I don't have to pull going up the wake toeside to get the handle pass so I'm not sure. You can definitely start spinning earlier TS as compared to HS but I don't really pull very much for TS 3's. Some of the spin completes itself because of the twisted nature of TS tricks.

Now 7's might be a different story, although if you watch some videos, some guys really don't get into the TS spin much until they get up towards the peak of their jump.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-27-2009, 3:04 PM Reply   
You are correct on the ts 7 Eubanks, for me the first part is pulling myself off axis then spinning on a ts 7.
Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       04-28-2009, 7:39 AM Reply   
Man, Im so glad you got it, Ive been reading your posts on this for the last couple of years, and shared your frustration. I finally this year got it as well!! Congrats again bra
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-28-2009, 8:09 AM Reply   
Thanks Bro, you too! What did it for you?
Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       04-28-2009, 8:44 AM Reply   
honestly man, was just a head thing for me. I would pop, pull, but just couldnt make myself grab the handle. Finally slowed the boat way down, took it back to basics, and made it happen. I dont have it super consistent yet, but its on its way. I am going to try the pulling slightly coming up the wake to try to solidify it. Funny thing, when I finally figured it out, I also stuck a backside 1 and a switch 3. All this within like 2 weeks.. Im fired up man!!