Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old     (al_d)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-09-2005, 12:05 PM Reply   
Will a first time boat owner notice the difference between a high end (Master Craft or Nautique) boat and a more value (Centurian, Tige) priced boat?

My family is all beginner type waker boarders and will mix in a little skiing and towing.

I realize overall quality and resale are involved, but with for and extra $10, will I notice much in the ride?
Should I even consider a stern drive?

Thanks in advance for you opinions.
Al
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-09-2005, 12:16 PM Reply   
I am not so sure that a first time boat owner will notice the difference. I have spent my whole life around saltwater boats and the first "ski/wakeboard boat" I rode behind was a 98 Moomba with a pylon. It was the most comfortable cleanest nicest interior I had ever seen. I have onwned a Super Air for 3 years now and now I can't settle for anything else because of the quality, wake, service, etc.... They will however notice when they go to sell. The "Big 3" really hold their value.
Old     (gtaussie15)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-09-2005, 3:26 PM Reply   
First of all your in the classified ads section, asking a question about a boats. You should redirect your question to the wakeboard discussion, you will get many more responses. Secondly, if you feel you and your family will progress in slaloming and wakeboarding, go ahead and get the mastercraft, it will pay for its self in the long run. I started behind my friends I/O glastron, and then bought a mastercraft, I did notice a difference. The wake was better and the service on the boat has been almost nothing. The ride is smooth and the boat will last forever.

If you believe you and your familly will really enjoy boating and go out a lot, go ahead and spend the extra cheddar instead on a mastercraft or correct craft. Instead of going through buying a new boat two years from now.
Old     (catdaddy76)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-09-2005, 3:50 PM Reply   
As a beginner I would go with the best VALUE for your money. If you can buy a moomba or tige or centurion or any other boat that will fit your families personal needs and not spend 50-60-70K then you are ahead of the game. There is alot of difference in the boats. The big 3 all have excellent fit and finish, but if your not sure that you are going to be big into wakeboard or slalom skiing then save what you can. Just my thoughts.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-10-2005, 12:12 PM Reply   
Will you notice a difference? YES.

Will you care about the difference? Maybe, maybe not.

If you are comparing the wake, there will be a difference between any two boats This boat curls on the left, that one on the right. This boat is a little more "rampy" while that boat is a little steeper.

Is either one going to effect your ride? Probably not.

In my experience, the beginner doesn't really care about the shape of the wake because he isn't using it. The advanced rider, while he will have preferences, can handle anything, and in fact if he is competing he has to. The intermediate rider gets accustomed to his wake and is thrown off balance by anything else.

There are other things that you will "notice" between boats, especially low end verses high end. Things like how easy it is to change the oil and filter. How easy the tower folds down. How much coverage the bimini offers and how easily it goes up. The quality of the stereo. The fit and finish, especially with the upholstery.

How old are your kids? How athletic are they? Do you have a son/daughter that is likely to really take to wakeboarding and and really excell?

If you have teenagers that basically get up and follow the boat then I wouldn't worry too much about shape of the wake, ballast, etc. Get a boat that is comfortable to drive. If you like to ski consider a direct drive instead of a V-drive.

If you have a 12 year old that is going wake to wake, reads the wakeboard magazine cover to cover as soon as it arrives and can tell you what make and model that boat a hundred yards away is then I would seriously consider a top end boat.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-10-2005, 12:39 PM Reply   
My first boat was/is my 2000 BU VLX. Before getting the BU, I looked at every SportBoat made before looking at most every WakeBoat made.

I am SO glad I got a vdrive WakeBoat.

If you want a boat to runabout on the water, then get a runabout.
If you want a boat to tow people in the water, then get a towboat.
If you want to tow people wakeboarding, then get a wakeboat.

Rough water considerations were not important to me. My BU handles the rough water fine to any point where I would want to be on the water.

IMO, a runabout is only better if you want to go faster and you don't go into the water much.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-10-2005, 2:49 PM Reply   
Centurion, Tige, Supra, Moomba, Sanger all produce wakes capable of pro-level riding. There will be slight differences in the shape and width. Buy the boat that fits your family and budget. My son has been riding for 4 years. First 3 behind a Moomba and the last 6 weeks behind a Centurion. This year he has learned a Moby Dick, Tootsie Roll, Roll to blind, Handle Pass KGB, Switch OA3 and 5. He learned all on either the Moomba or Centurion. He has ridden behind a SAN, X-Star, X2, Malibu VLX. The biggest adjustment is going to the X-star.
Old     (al_d)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-13-2005, 10:41 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll option out a cheaper boat with a lot of bells and whistles and still stay under the cost of the big 3.
Thanks.
Old     (amazongb)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-14-2005, 8:23 AM Reply   
Al, take the family and test drive various boats. I say bring the entire family bc you'll notice where they'll sit, climb all over each other etc.. maybe even have the kids bring a couple of friends (they always do). Look at the wake at wakeboard speeds and skiing speeds. Drive the boat thru it's own wake and see how it handles chop etc.. After that, start looking at the fit/finish, storage etc of each boat.. Once you've narrowed down the boats, start looking at the options and prices. Take your time, after all, it's closing in on the end of summer and all of the 06 boats are coming out.
Old     (air_dooley)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-14-2005, 11:13 AM Reply   
Al, All the wakeboats will get you on the water with comfort galore. I've noticed that after I purchased my midrange wakeboat,you will notice the differences in the high end models. Now is this worth the extra 10-20k? Like all of us, we need to feel that we are getting Value for our investment. You need to think this out and make the call. This purchase is yours alone. Makes for a gut wrentching decision......like John says....demo, demo, demo. You will be happy with whatever you decide.
Old    sking55405            08-14-2005, 3:15 PM Reply   
sounds like me rod. go with a sanger. my dad and his friend barefoot and slalom behind our V210. Plus the quality of the boat is just like the big 3 or better . overall it s one of the best boats ive ever ridden behind