Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through December 14, 2003

Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-25-2003, 3:40 PM Reply   
Am seriously considering buying a share and wonder if anyone has any experience. I prefer Mead because its closer but it seems like Powell has alot more available. Pros and Cons, bad experiences etc.
Old    dwe            11-25-2003, 4:54 PM Reply   
Chris,

We have a share on a boat at Powell and it has been a great experience. We have been with this boat going on 6 years. In my opinion, there are two things that will make or break your shared ownership experience. The group of owners you get involved with and the maintenance company that maintains the boat on a weekly basis. We have a good group of owners with only an occasional issue. Our group as a whole takes very good care of the boat and considering it's age, 7 yrs., the boat still looks good. The group of owners has to be willing to spend the money for maintenance and repairs, if not, the boat can go downhill quickly. We set up a reserve fund for major repairs several years ago in addition to our annual maintenace fees. We had to replace the generator 2 years ago which cost almost $10K. The maintenace company has to be diligent with their check on - check off procedures so that any damage that might occur is addressed at that time. We are on a buoy at Wahweep. I have no experience with houseboats in slips or with the launch/retrieve boats. I think each has it's advantages and disadvantages. I have not spent much time on Mead. I think that Powell is worth the extra drive, unless you buy into a boat with only a few owners and will be using it several weeks a year. If you are buying new, make sure that there are strict rules about damage and maintenance, you will have a group of owners without a track record on that boat. If you are buying used, look at the boat if you can, and consider it's age and condition. Ask the maintenace company about problem owners on that boat and check with the boat treasurer or manager for funds on hand and in reserve. As I said our boat has a decent reserve and we have money left over in the annual fund this year. Some used boats have no reserves and may be faceing significant repairs which you would be liable for. Powell has recently changed it's procedures for buying/selling shares so you would have to go with new program if you buy a boat that is kept on the lake, rather than a launch/retreve boat. Either way I would suggest that you get yourself elected to one of the offices on the board for the boat so that you will have greater input as to the direction of operations. I'll leave it here for now, if you have any other questions I'd be glad to help if I can.

}David
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-25-2003, 10:14 PM Reply   
Thanks for your time David. What management company are you with? I will probably end up at Powell because it seems that Mead doesnt have fractional ownership. At least I can't find anyone or companies offering shares. Most of what Im looking at is one week peak and one week off season plus anytime the boat is available for more $ I can go. 10 -12 owners. With the three kids it just seems like the best way to go for the next few years. The launch and retrieve seems cool but the extra expense for it twice a year is almost the same as the maintenance fees. Going to try and talk to some folks tomorrow and get some more info.

Thanks again for your time and advice. You will probably be hearing from me more as I get closer to a purchase.
Old    k2rider            11-25-2003, 10:43 PM Reply   
I'd go with Powell all the way...no question. We looked into this ourselves last year and even had a deposit down. The company didn't get enough shares sold to make it worth while to have the boat built though so we were back to square 1. The low water and economy aren't making things any better.

As far as I figured in my research, ALL the new boats are launch and retrieve. There are no more slips and/or buoys to be had. It's probably getting worse with the low water. One of the marinas (I think Hite is already 1/2 mile+ from any water. All those boats obviously had to be moved out.

I can do a lil reserach and find th e 2 main companies I was dealing with if you're interested.

(Message edited by k2rider on November 25, 2003)
Old     (crracer)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-25-2003, 10:58 PM Reply   
Hey Guys,
Just thought I would share my insane experience with you. First off Mead Is nice but in no way shape or form does it have anything on Powell. I have been going there for the last 7 years and I must say that I'm one of the most fortunate guys around. I mean words really can't describe how truly magnificent and breath taking it is. To top it off the water is glassy 24hrs a day in the fingers and well-protected canyons. I've been going for two weeks in august since I was 15. It get's more and more beautiful every time. We stay on a 90' stardust houseboat two stories and sometimes three. We travel with two other boats about the same size with the same people on them each year. The trip is with my Pop and that side of the family. However my Mom, Step father and I live in san diego and they helped purchase the mastercraft that we own. Obviously my mother and father divorced and my mom would not be a part of the Powell trip. So I'm hoping to get a trip scheduled to get them out there this coming summer. They have never been, but they have seen many of my films. If anyone would be interested (serious inquires only) in being counted in on the trip please let me know. We have spoke in great lengths regarding the possibility of buying into a good stable partnership for a Powell trip. I obviously know how far and few openings there are but if someone is considering going in on a share and would like to count in some very boat smart people as well as one hell of a Powell navigator then shoot me an E-mail. Good luck Chris N with whatever decision you choose.

Chris R
Old     (bdehaan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-26-2003, 9:32 AM Reply   
All this talk of houseboating on Lake Powell is making jealous! We go every year with the same group of people. Today it took me almost a hour to get to work because of the 6" of snow that fell. (I live about 15 min. away.) Our group has thought of doing an ownership share as well, so I'd like info as well. My reservation is the idea of going into it with other people, cynically believing that not everyone is going to be on the same page all the time, which may cause serious relationship issues, especially if its family and good friends. I'm not opposed, I just have my reservations.
Dave, its good to hear that your group has it figured out, and that it works well.
And, I agree with Chris about Powell, nothing compares.
Old     (tahoe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-26-2003, 11:15 AM Reply   
Hey Neeley, Are you planning on buying the week by yourself, or going in with family/friends?

We've been researching doing the timeshare thing at Powell also, but was thinking we might be better off to just buy the share ourselves rather than dealing with F&F for maintenance fees, etc, and just rent back to whoever wants to go that particular year.

Other things to consider is the prime week your buying. Monsoon season at Powell is Mid July thru early Sept, so try to avoid those weeks. Another thing to look at is the fuel capacity of the Houseboat, some of the older ones have smaller tanks. Making a gas run can eat up lots of lake time depending where you are.

David - thats some really good advise, that I wouldn't have given much thought to otherwise!

Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-26-2003, 11:51 AM Reply   
From what I gather, at Powell you can't rent to anyone, even family and friends. An owner must be aboard. I was going to buy myself and then have family and friends pay for the fuel,food, launch/retrieval etc. From David's advice I'm leaning towards a used share on a boat no older than 2-3 years. That will enable me to check maintenance records and history of other owners. Hopefully I can find one on a buoy. If that doesnt work out Im going to just buy an older boat on Mead myself and not worry about other people.
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-26-2003, 3:28 PM Reply   
I can agree with everything that has been said. We got onto a new boat in '97 and words can't describe all of the good times. A few years ago I got talked into being the manager of ours. So I can help you with an idea of what expenses might be.

We have 25 shares (some people spit their shares) and that gets you two weeks/year. The boat is in a slip at Wahweap which adds to the convience, but cost a little more. It costs $375/week to use the boat to cover check on-off, cleaning, etc. The annual dues have been around $1300/year and there have not been any special assessments. That has covered replacement of engines and outdrives, replacing carpet, furniture and everything else that wears out. It is not the biggest- only 55' but you can take out 12-14 no problem. Good management, good owners and a good maintenance company makes all the diference in the world. By the way, we use Desert Service.

Every boat that has been on the water awhile has owners who would like to sell. Just look around. Aramark who runs everything in the National Park has changed the rules this past year, but overall not a huge difference. If you rent a couple of times you could have bought a share and saved $$. Good luck.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-26-2003, 3:33 PM Reply   
Chris,
This site has(have not looked in a bit of time, but assume still does) quite a few shares of used boats available. It is a local company here in SLC and thus had quite a few available at Powell.
Anyway, it may or may not be of some assistance. Bored at work and thought I would throw in my $.02.
E.J.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-26-2003, 3:47 PM Reply   
http://www.executiveyacht.com/

Guess you need the link....

(Message edited by Deuce on November 26, 2003)
Old     (crracer)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-26-2003, 7:47 PM Reply   
Thanks Alot E.J.,
Hey Guys Just spoke to the family regaurding my earlier post and we have officially decided to go mo matter what next summer. Thinking about June time as well as 7 or 8 days. Anyone seriously interested in going should shoot me an email. we already have 6 or 7 people interested with two boats hopefully involved (really a great group of people with kids from 12 on up to 23 years old.) If anyone has any good advice on how to get on the lake around that time for a little over a week maybe, please help me out with a post. I don't know about bying into a share just yet. I have a feeling that after getting the Mom's side of the family out there then it's only a matter of time.
Thanks